The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Blueberries are in the Iffy category. Regardless of Type, some diabetics can eat them, others must restrict themselves to a berry or two, while still others can't even look at them.

They're not in the NO! category, however. Best to test-test-test.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wild Blueberries in small quantities are helpful in managing UTIs but they do have some carbs.

But the record does seem to be stuck - test - test and test again to see how your body views them.
John, and all,

Do you know natural herbs/berries that can handle UTI, I am using garlic but it keeps coming back after few days and I don't want to increase the intake of it, I also want to avoid antibiotics if possible, any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Garlic is the first line of attack used by my BH whenever she suspects that I've succumbed to a UTI. One clove with every meal over several days. The other minor change she makes is that dessert (lunch time only) is a small handful of blueberries.

It does seem to work for me but sometimes (like four years ago), the only solution is antibiotics with the proviso that you must complete the course of treatment and not stop just because the symptoms seem to have disappeared. (Sorry to state the obvious:eek:)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Yep, my meter's reaction isnt going to be the same as yours. I have no issues with blueberries, but they seem to be my only "go" fruit. Strawberries, peaches and pears are no-nos so far.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Garlic is the first line of attack used by my BH whenever she suspects that I've succumbed to a UTI. One clove with every meal over several days. The other minor change she makes is that dessert (lunch time only) is a small handful of blueberries.

It does seem to work for me but sometimes (like four years ago), the only solution is antibiotics with the proviso that you must complete the course of treatment and not stop just because the symptoms seem to have disappeared. (Sorry to state the obvious:eek:)
Then I have no drug escape here, welcome antibiotics again

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Philip is absolutely right on cranberries - regrettably no longer an option here - every frozen version we've examined seems to have been sugared and all the juices pasteurised (and sweetened).

·
Registered
801 Posts
Juice in any form, including the "100%" varieties give me a spike.

And blackberries over blueberries for my meter, but I have to be careful of quantity.

My meter is kind for most fruit (including mango), as long as I am careful with quantity and frequency.

YOUR MILEAGE WILL VARY.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
I can eat blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries in that order from best to worst results. But I can only eat about 1-1.5 oz of any single one of them in one serving.

Last summer I found I could tolerate Pink Lady apples and watermelon, both in the 1-2oz serving size and not every single day. Sometimes it will take me 4 days to finish one apple! And I usually end up throwing out about 1/2 the watermelon, even if I buy one of those tiny ones. Living alone does have a few disadvantages.....

And I retest all of the above periodically, to make sure they are still safe.

·
Banned
164 Posts
I can eat blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries in that order from best to worst results. But I can only eat about 1-1.5 oz of any single one of them in one serving. Last summer I found I could tolerate Pink Lady apples and watermelon, both in the 1-2oz serving size and not every single day. Sometimes it will take me 4 days to finish one apple! And I usually end up throwing out about 1/2 the watermelon, even if I buy one of those tiny ones. Living alone does have a few disadvantages..... And I retest all of the above periodically, to make sure they are still safe.
Love strawberries I'm able to eat them with minimal impact to BS.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have been taking cranberry pills with good results regarding UTIs. Also, cranberries can be cooked and turned easily into cranberry juice. Sour, but some palates (like mine) have come to prefer sour.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Cranberries/carbs?

Reading Wikipedia it looks like Cranberries are pretty high in carbs and I'm assuming that is in unsweetened form. And besides, who can eat them unsweetened

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Reading Wikipedia it looks like Cranberries are pretty high in carbs and I'm assuming that is in unsweetened form. And besides, who can eat them unsweetened
me for one :D and like a lot of fruit there does seem to be several varieties with differing degrees of sweetness and carbs. Know that meter you've got? Another time to use it :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts