The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today we made some blueberry muffins using a recipe that I modified from this one:

Low-Carb Muffins - Sugar-Free Muffin Recipe

I found that the salt was not needed as all since the first batch ended up being far too salty. I eliminated all the salt, used unsalted butter and added a cup of blueberries. I am now making a batch of strawberry muffins and have added a half cup of coconut flour to see what that does for the consistency which was already very good for the blueberry batch.

Attachments

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Seems to me too, that recipes calling for quite a bit of baking powder can do without additional salt. I had the same problem with the pancakes I made this morning - too salty due to including both salt & baking powder. :(

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I rarely add salt to recipes and always use the unsalted butter. I use her dougnut muffin recipe for a lot of my muffin recipes, especially blueberry. They come out so moist and I love the splenda/cinnamon mix on top. I also usually reduce the sweetner in the recipe since the splenda on top makes it sweet. I love Laura Dolson.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I rarely add salt to recipes and always use the unsalted butter. I use her dougnut muffin recipe for a lot of my muffin recipes, especially blueberry. They come out so moist and I love the splenda/cinnamon mix on top. I also usually reduce the sweetner in the recipe since the splenda on top makes it sweet. I love Laura Dolson.
I agree that Laura has some amazing recipes and I use them all the time. Just a followup on this one for the muffins: The salt, as discussed, isn't needed at all, and they are much much better without the salt. But i think my mistake is in using frozen berries that I don't allow to thaw nor do I sufficiently drain them before adding them to the batter. The result is that the muffins have been soggy at the bottom but absolutely perfect on the tops. Since fresh berries are very scarce right now in Sweden, I may have to resort to using dried berries which I try to avoid because they add sugar to dried fruit here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This was posted a little while ago but just made a pan of blueberry bread using your blueberry muffin recipe. Oh my goodness, this was delicious! I too left out the salt, and substituted almond milk for water. I also used a combo of almond flour, coconut flour and low carb bake mix. After mixing I tossed in 1 cup of fresh blueberries and spread in a baking pan. I will absolutely make this again, Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just finished baking my first batch of these muffins. I used my mini muffin tray... Takes slightly less time to cook in the oven. I couldn't resist eating one straight from the oven... It was soooo DELICIOUS!!! I used powdered stevia and erytherol for the sweetener. I actually only made a 1/2 batch, because i only had 1 cup of almond meal on hand. It still made 22 mini muffins. I also substituted ghee for the butter. Did the sums and works out at 1.5g carb per muffin! Oh and I also sprinkled a little cinnamon on top.

Thanks so much for this recipe!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts