The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I've learned a lot since being DX'd as type 2 in January 2009.
Much of what I learned came from books and videos.
So I thought I would share the names of the books and video; and what knowledge I obtained from each.

So they are; in approximately the same order that I read or watched them:
  • The Everyday meal Planner for Type 2 Diabetics
    I got virtually nothing from this book. I'm not certain if that's because it was the first book I read, I don't do much cooking, or the book really is meaningless.
  • Diabetes Meals On The Run
    I learned that if absolutely positively necessary; it is possible to eat at a fast food restaurant. You just have to be very very very picky !
  • The New Glucose Revolution For Diabetes
    I learned about how some foods digest more slowly than others; ie the Glycemic Index. Although I can't remember most foods glycemic index values; I do occasionally use this book to look up the values of some foods.
  • The Ph Miracle For Diabetes
    This was book that really got me into reading about proper eating. I learned about it from this forum. Specifically TammyL1's reply in my "How foods have changed in the past 30+ years." thread. Thanks Tammy !
    The title and the author's work history made me very sceptical. BUT since it bascially said the same thing that our mother's have always said; ie. "Eat your vegetables". I changed my diet; just not as drastically as how this book suggested. And did some PH testing along the way.
    According the the Ph test strips I was very acidic; although at the time my A1c was in acceptable range. So I quit the Ph testing and dismissed it as quackery.
    BUT several months later after following the advice of many of the other books I read; which basically amounted to a more vegetarian diet. I again tried the Ph testing. And my Ph levels were perfect. Which coincided with my A1c's dropping to non-diabetic levels. So there MAY be something to this Ph level stuff afterall.
  • Eat To Live
    Basically this book provides evidence for a near vegetarian diet.
    And I learned the motto: "The salad is the main dish.".
  • Fasting And Eating For Health
    Very similar to The Ph Miracle. Both books basically enforce that chronically ill people; (ie diabetes, cancer, artritis, etc ..) have built up too much toxins in their bodies. And need to flush out these toxins. This book says to fast under the supervision of a physician to flush out the toxins. While The Ph Miracle says to flush out the acids by not truely fasting; he says to have a "liquid feast" for 2 or 3 weeks. (The liquid being highly alkaline green drinks.)
  • The Food Revolution
  • Diet For A New America
  • Food Inc. (DVD)
    These two books and one video taught me a lot.
    I learned about the horrors of the meat and agriculture industries. ie "factory farming"
    Such as 30% of animals are still alive when they are skinned and cut up with band saws and chain saws !
    I've never been a PETA type person. I've always said that big animals eat little animals. BUT I have always been against unnecessary cruelty.
    Or
    How the "Four Food Groups" and "Food Pyramid" were created.
    There was no actual nutritional science behind these. The government and food industries simply took the average of what most Americans were eating.
    And as history; and many of these books would show. Most Americans were and are eating lousy.
    Also; when the "Four Food Groups" was changed into the "Food Pyramid".
    The "Food Pyramid" originally was meant to have much less meat and dairy. BUT the meat and dairy industries pressured the government to change it for their profit.
    How the rain forests are being leveled to make way for cattle to feed the Standard American Diet.
    How you can feed more humans than animals from 1 acre of land.
  • The China Study
    Very very convincing evidence for a vegetarian diet.
    Such as:
    The country with the highest percentage of diabetes; also consume the most diary products.
    How a vegetarian diet has been shown to reverse heart disease.
    How consuming milk for it's calcium may actually deplete the calcium from our bones and cause osteoporosis.
    How orange juice is not as good of a source of vitamin C as the orange growers have been telling us.
  • Eat This Not That
    How foods have changed in the past 30+ years.
    And few foods we should try to eat everyday.
  • Eat This Not That - Supermarket Survival Guide
    Helped greatly in teaching me how to food shop.
    Like stay away from the inner isles at the grocery store.
  • 12 Steps To Raw Foods
  • The Raw Food Diet Myth
  • Eating In The Raw
  • The Wisdom And Healing Power Of Whole Foods
    These four books really convinced me to stay away from nearly all processed foods.
    Once in a while with my breakfast I will have a whole wheat, no high fructose corn syrup English Muffin.
    (I plan on stopping this in the next week or so.)
    And I still keep Glucerna snack bars in my pocket in case of emergencies.
  • The Ultimate Ph Solution
  • The Acid-Alkaline Diet for Optimum Health
    These two books reinforced the ideas in The Ph Miracle.
  • Blood Suger 101
    Lots of useful information !
    Such as all the different medications available.
    Shop around for a doctor. Just because someone's a professional; doesn't mean they are good.
  • Beating The Odds
    Very inspirational !
  • Good Calories, Bad Calories
    Lot's of compelling evidence that suggests that being overweight may not be due to simply being a glutton.
  • Think Like A Pancreas
    I've just started reading this one.
    So far I've learned a little bit about the history of diabetes.
    And why exercise may affect your BG several hours afterwards.
    I currently don't take insulin; so much of this book may not fully apply to me.

So far since switching to a 99% raw food and 99% vegetarian diet I've seen my BG readings improve. My BG readings are staying between 70 and 100.
Whereas before I was having after dinner readings over 100.
AND my endo has given me permission to stop taking Januvia and Simvastatin.
And may even possibly come off of Metformin.
At my last visit in February; my endo said stop Januvia and if I don't see any difference I am to stop Simvastatin.
So I stopped Januvia about 6 weeks ago. And there has been no difference in my BG readings.
I plan on stopping Simvastatin after my next test results in about two weeks; which will coincide with my current bottle.

This is just a brief summary of what I've learned from these items and how they have helped me.
I hope this helps other people as well.

--ET
P.S.
I can add the authors names and ISBN numbers of these books if anyone wants them.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello everyone,

I've learned a lot since being DX'd as type 2 in January 2009.
Much of what I learned came from books and videos.
So I thought I would share the names of the books and video; and what knowledge I obtained from each.

So they are; in approximately the same order that I read or watched them:
  • The Everyday meal Planner for Type 2 Diabetics
    I got virtually nothing from this book. I'm not certain if that's because it was the first book I read, I don't do much cooking, or the book really is meaningless.
  • Diabetes Meals On The Run
    I learned that if absolutely positively necessary; it is possible to eat at a fast food restaurant. You just have to be very very very picky !
  • The New Glucose Revolution For Diabetes
    I learned about how some foods digest more slowly than others; ie the Glycemic Index. Although I can't remember most foods glycemic index values; I do occasionally use this book to look up the values of some foods.
  • The Ph Miracle For Diabetes
    This was book that really got me into reading about proper eating. I learned about it from this forum. Specifically TammyL1's reply in my "How foods have changed in the past 30+ years." thread. Thanks Tammy !
    The title and the author's work history made me very sceptical. BUT since it bascially said the same thing that our mother's have always said; ie. "Eat your vegetables". I changed my diet; just not as drastically as how this book suggested. And did some PH testing along the way.
    According the the Ph test strips I was very acidic; although at the time my A1c was in acceptable range. So I quit the Ph testing and dismissed it as quackery.
    BUT several months later after following the advice of many of the other books I read; which basically amounted to a more vegetarian diet. I again tried the Ph testing. And my Ph levels were perfect. Which coincided with my A1c's dropping to non-diabetic levels. So there MAY be something to this Ph level stuff afterall.
  • Eat To Live
    Basically this book provides evidence for a near vegetarian diet.
    And I learned the motto: "The salad is the main dish.".
  • Fasting And Eating For Health
    Very similar to The Ph Miracle. Both books basically enforce that chronically ill people; (ie diabetes, cancer, artritis, etc ..) have built up too much toxins in their bodies. And need to flush out these toxins. This book says to fast under the supervision of a physician to flush out the toxins. While The Ph Miracle says to flush out the acids by not truely fasting; he says to have a "liquid feast" for 2 or 3 weeks. (The liquid being highly alkaline green drinks.)
  • The Food Revolution
  • Diet For A New America
  • Food Inc. (DVD)
    These two books and one video taught me a lot.
    I learned about the horrors of the meat and agriculture industries. ie "factory farming"
    Such as 30% of animals are still alive when they are skinned and cut up with band saws and chain saws !
    I've never been a PETA type person. I've always said that big animals eat little animals. BUT I have always been against unnecessary cruelty.
    Or
    How the "Four Food Groups" and "Food Pyramid" were created.
    There was no actual nutritional science behind these. The government and food industries simply took the average of what most Americans were eating.
    And as history; and many of these books would show. Most Americans were and are eating lousy.
    Also; when the "Four Food Groups" was changed into the "Food Pyramid".
    The "Food Pyramid" originally was meant to have much less meat and dairy. BUT the meat and dairy industries pressured the government to change it for their profit.
    How the rain forests are being leveled to make way for cattle to feed the Standard American Diet.
    How you can feed more humans than animals from 1 acre of land.
  • The China Study
    Very very convincing evidence for a vegetarian diet.
    Such as:
    The country with the highest percentage of diabetes; also consume the most diary products.
    How a vegetarian diet has been shown to reverse heart disease.
    How consuming milk for it's calcium may actually deplete the calcium from our bones and cause osteoporosis.
    How orange juice is not as good of a source of vitamin C as the orange growers have been telling us.
  • Eat This Not That
    How foods have changed in the past 30+ years.
    And few foods we should try to eat everyday.
  • Eat This Not That - Supermarket Survival Guide
    Helped greatly in teaching me how to food shop.
    Like stay away from the inner isles at the grocery store.
  • 12 Steps To Raw Foods
  • The Raw Food Diet Myth
  • Eating In The Raw
  • The Wisdom And Healing Power Of Whole Foods
    These four books really convinced me to stay away from nearly all processed foods.
    Once in a while with my breakfast I will have a whole wheat, no high fructose corn syrup English Muffin.
    (I plan on stopping this in the next week or so.)
    And I still keep Glucerna snack bars in my pocket in case of emergencies.
  • The Ultimate Ph Solution
  • The Acid-Alkaline Diet for Optimum Health
    These two books reinforced the ideas in The Ph Miracle.
  • Blood Suger 101
    Lots of useful information !
    Such as all the different medications available.
    Shop around for a doctor. Just because someone's a professional; doesn't mean they are good.
  • Beating The Odds
    Very inspirational !
  • Good Calories, Bad Calories
    Lot's of compelling evidence that suggests that being overweight may not be due to simply being a glutton.
  • Think Like A Pancreas
    I've just started reading this one.
    So far I've learned a little bit about the history of diabetes.
    And why exercise may affect your BG several hours afterwards.
    I currently don't take insulin; so much of this book may not fully apply to me.

So far since switching to a 99% raw food and 99% vegetarian diet I've seen my BG readings improve. My BG readings are staying between 70 and 100.
Whereas before I was having after dinner readings over 100.
AND my endo has given me permission to stop taking Januvia and Simvastatin.
And may even possibly come off of Metformin.
At my last visit in February; my endo said stop Januvia and if I don't see any difference I am to stop Simvastatin.
So I stopped Januvia about 6 weeks ago. And there has been no difference in my BG readings.
I plan on stopping Simvastatin after my next test results in about two weeks; which will coincide with my current bottle.

This is just a brief summary of what I've learned from these items and how they have helped me.
I hope this helps other people as well.

--ET
P.S.
I can add the authors names and ISBN numbers of these books if anyone wants them.
You have really been busy. I am so proud of you! I love it when someone really takes an interest in their health! Way to go on getting rid of the prescription drugs! I wish I could do away with some of my medication, but it is not in the cards for me right now. Pat yourself on the back, you deserve it!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Breezeonby !

I'm taking this disease seriously.
Waking up one morning and not being able to see 2 inches past your nose. Is a real wake-up call !

The more I read; the more I learn how bad our Standard American Diet is for us.

I'm now reading a book titled: Becoming Raw.
It's much more detailed on vitamins and minerals contained in whole foods.
For example;
A medium orange has 70mg of Vitamin C
248g of orange juice has 124mg of Vitamin C.
A medium green bell pepper has 96mg of Vitamin C.
A medium red bell pepper has 226mg of Vitamin C.

I take this to mean that the orange growers and the United States Department of Agriculture have been lying to us all our lives.

Has anyone read any of the books I've mentioned ?

--ET

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Whoa baby . . . you have no IDEA how much politickin' is involved in what we eat! That official food pyramid? Hogwash! Nothing but politics from various food lobbies.

You keep on keepin' on . . . you're definitely on the right track! Just remember that even natural raw foods can contain a lot of natural sugars, and they'll spike your BG just as fast & hard as the processed kind. We diabetics must be ever vigilant - even the best foods can harm us if they're high in natural sugars. With the onset of summer now, I'm mourning the absence of watermelon in my summer diet . . . but alas - it's VERY high in natural sugars.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've finished reading Becoming Raw.
I addition to all the other books I've read on raw food vegetarian diets.
This book taught me that other than my vitamin B12 and D levels.
I should also check and watch my Lysine, Iodine, and Iron ?
(Well at least looking at my notes about the book; that's the questions I'm going to be asking a dietitian/CDE at my next visit.)
Although admittedly it's the B12 and D vitamins that vegetarians mostly have to monitor.

I also bought and watched a DVD: Simply Raw - Reversing Diabetes in 30 days.
After all the other books and videos I've read and watched. I didn't learn a great deal more from this video.
After getting past the non-scientific "60's style hippy" speech about life-forces in raw food, the fact that this video was also a promotional tool for the Tree of Life Rejuvenation Center, and that they claim to "cure" diabetes.
It was still interesting to watch other diabetics dealing with this disease.
Some of the patients really wanted to take care of themselves, some of them didn't seem to give a crap what they did to their bodies, and some simply gave up.

I've also started reading There Is A Cure For Diabetes.
This book is also by the same doctor that runs the Tree of Life Rejuvenation Center and is the center of the above video.
I'm only about 40 pages into the book so far.
But it has provided me a few more nutrients to watch:
Zinc, Magnesium, Chromium, Vanadium, Manganese, and Potassium levels.

I'm always skeptical of books and videos with "60's style hippy" sounding names. Or people who say they can "cure" diabetes.
Because in my opinion; eating a proper diet for the rest of your life is not a cure. It's simply just controlling your diabetes; not curing it.
But that doesn't mean we can't listen to them and take some of their advice.

--ET

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
You are pretty funny ett! I do admire you for your dedication to your diet. I have never liked fruits or vegetables. I can stomach some lettuce, green beans and a few pickles. I will eat pineapple on occasion but it makes my blood sugar soar. I love fruit juice but too much sugar and carbs. Do you shop at a special grocery store? I have been to several all natural markets and I can't get used to the taste of the foods that they carry. Keep on reading and let us know what you are reading. BTW, I don't believe that there is a cure for diabetes. I wish there was, but I don't think I will see it in my lifetime.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never really liked fruits or vegetables either. But if that's what I have to do to stay alive; then that's what I'm going to do.

Although after getting off almost all processed foods. I can say that fruits such as bananas, plum, red bell peppers, etc.. Now taste really sweet to me.
It's as if my taste buds had been damaged by all the chemicals in processed foods. And now my taste buds are starting to heal.
Although; even though I'm eating 12 cups of spinach every day. I still don't like it. :puke:
That ;and all the dry flaxseed meal I add to my salads; is why I smother my large salads with Walden Farms zero calorie, zero carb dressings.
I can't wait until I learn to make my own salad dressings. :hungry:

I do my grocery shopping the the local supermarket; a Redner's; nothing fancy.
I buy organic produce when it's available. But currently the only organic produce items the local supermarket stocks is flaxseed meal, celery, carrots, and baby carrots.
If there was a Whole Foods store nearby I would probably check them out.

I'll keep on reporting about what I'm reading.
I hope my little reports help others as it has helped me.
It's nice to know someone is listening.

--ET

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I've finished reading There Is A Cure For Diabetes.
Here's my summary:

• It's title states there is a cure for diabetes.
    Which I don't believe. Curing and controlling for life are two different things.
  • Type 2 diabetes is often associated with vitamin and mineral deficiencies, specifically:
    • magnesium
    • chromium
    • vanadium
    • manganese
    • potassoim
  • Not to eat wheat because of it's alloxan content.
    Alloxan is the chemical that makes white flour look clean, white and beautiful.
    And a single alloxan injection has been shown to produce diabetes mellitus in lab animals.
  • Not to eat soy because 90% of all soy is genetically modified.
    We do not know the long term effects of consuming genetically modified food.
    Also according to the other books and videos I've mentioned. Back in the 90's American industry spent HUGE amounts of time and dollars lobbying against the proposed requirement of having all genetically modified labeled.
    If I recall correctly. European countries require genetically modified food to be labeled; if not banned.
    (Can anyone from Europe confirm or deny this last statement ? Thanks.)
  • Aspartame has been linked to the activation of diabetes, causes poorer control BG control for diabetics on insulin, and leads to the aggravation of diabetic complications such as retinopathy, cataracts, neuropathy, and gastroparesis.
  • "Caffeine elevates blood sugar by stimulating and aggravating the adrenal glucose axis, causing imbalanced and elevated blood sugars, and therefore keeps imbalancing the attempt of the healing diabetic body to achieve a normal physiology."
  • This book is very similar to the book The Ph Miracle For Diabetes.
    In that that the author of There Is A Cure For Diabetes dedicates a fair amount time promoting his medical practice, retreat, and products he sells.
    (Gee what a surprise. :rolleyes:)

Next on my reading list are these two books:
  • The Unhealthy Truth
    "One mother's shocking investigation into the dangers of America's food supply -- And what every family can do to protect itself."
  • Healthy At 100
    By John Robbins; the same author of the books Diet for a new America and The Food revolution, who was the son of one two founders of the ice cream empire Baskin Robbins, and (supposedly) gave up inheriting the family business because of how it was damaging America's health.

--ET

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I love the fact that you are reading all of these books. There is a book that I think you would enjoy, Diabetes in Your Own Terms by Janis Roszler. Helpful ways to enjoy making personal choices about diabetes.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Breezeonby !

I just looked it up on Borders. I like it's description.
It's now on my reading list.

Thanks;
--ET

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I *love* Think like a Pancreas. I am reading it now and it sure is helping me! Especially any of you that are taking insulin....its well worth the read!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just finished reading another book.
This one was The Unhealthy Truth.
"One mother's shocking investigation into the danger's of America's Food supply -- And what every family can do to protect itself."

Here are just a few things I learned from it:

• Alergies are our bodies immune system overreacting to proteins that it perceives is a threat.
  • Gentically Modified Food has slightly altered proteins.
  • 90% of all soybeans and 80% of all corn are genetically modified.
    And soy and corn are in EVERYTHING !
  • Genetically modified soy was introduced into the U.S. food supply in 1996.
  • In 1997 food allergies began to rise 20% per year. And is continuing at that rate.
  • Soy blocks mineral absorbtion
  • There are 12 genetically engineered foods in the U.S. food supply:
    1. corn
    2. cotton
    3. potatoes
    4. tomatoes
    5. soybeans
    6. canola
    7. sugar beets
    8. rice
    9. flax
    10. squash/zucchini
    11. papaya
    12. chicory (aka radicchio)
  • So people who were not allergic to the natural form of these foods now have an allergy to the genetically modified form of these foods.
  • The first genetically modified crop was cotton.
    It did something so horrendous that the farmers sued the maker; Monsanto. And easily won.
    But as part of the settlement they were forever forbidden from disclosing what the cotton crop did.
  • The U.S. does not require the labeling of Genetically Modified Foods or foods that have genetically modified ingredients.
    Almost all the other industrialized nations and many third world countries do require the labeling.
  • Cows are injected with the growth hormone Recombinant Bovine Somatotrophione (rBST) and Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone (rBGH).
    These hormones are hazardous to cows. They cause "Clinical Mastitis"; a painful udder infection that causes cows to pump out bacteria and pus along with their milk.
    Which is then consumed by people !
  • When (actually IF) this "Clinical Mastitis" is noticed. The cows are fed antibiotics that kills the bacteria.
    BUT these antibiotics also kill other essential bacteria in the cows intestines.
    AND also people's when they drink the milk.
    Gee drink pus laced milk or drink antibiotic laced milk that kills our own essential intestinal flora.
  • If a dairy wanted to highlight the fact that they did not use these hormones and that their milk did not contain rBGH.
    The FDA ruled that the label would also have to state that there was no difference between Monsanto's genetically engineered rBGH and naturally occurring growth hormones.
  • This FDA policy was done while Michael Taylor was their deputy commissioner.
    Before becoming the FDA's deputy commissioner Taylor worked at Monsanto's law firm while Monsanto was seeking FDA approval for rBGH.
    After passing that policy; Taylor left the FDA and went back to work at Monsanto as their vice president for public policy !

These are just a few of the horrors I read about our food supply in this book.
Although this book does not deal directly with diabetes. It makes you wonder about the increase of diabetes in the past couple of decades and it's relationship to our food.

--ET

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have always wondered about the food we eat everyday. Not only is diabetes on the rise but look at cancer too!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just finished reading Seeds of Deception.

As if the previous book I read; The Unhealthy Truth; wasn't shocking enough about our food supply here in the U.S..
Seeds of Deception reveals even more scary details.

Here's a small glimpse into the horrors I learned:

• Genetically Modified (GM) potatoes, corn, and cottonseed are created by using a gene from a soil bacterium similar to Bacillus anthrax.
  • Rats fed these GM potatoes suffered damaged immune systems and internal organs.
  • It took only 10 days for these serious health effects to appear in the rats.
    And some of these changes persisted after 110 days; which is equal to 10 years in a human.
  • Monarch Butterflies die when coming in contact with Bt corn.
  • In 1985 scientists used a human gene to engineer a faster-growing pig.
    None of the pigs looked liked pigs. They had bristly hair and wide muzzles.
    And in one of the first litters a female piglet had no anus or genitals.
  • In 2003 thirty-nine people living adjacent to a Bt cornfield in the Philippines developed respiratory, intestinal, and skin reactions.
  • After Monsanto's Roundup Ready soybeans had already been on the market for seven years.
    It had been discovered that there were two additional gene fragments accidentally inserted in the soy's DNS.
  • During testing of rbGH; 9,500 cows from 500 farms became ill from the rbGH.
    So Monsanto simply didn't include those cows in the test results.

--ET

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just finished watching the DVD's and audio CD in The GMO Trilogy.
Basically it's a companion to Seeds of Deception.

Not any new information that isn't provided by the book. But since the book doesn't provide any photos; the DVD's do let you actually see what the book was talking about.
It was rather gross seeing a genetically engineered pig that was so deformed that it could not even stand up.

So if you get around to reading Seeds of Deception you might also want to buy or rent The GMO Trilogy.

--ET

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finished reading two more books and watching another video.

I read Quit Digging Your Grave With A Knife And Fork by Mike Huckabee, Diabetes On Your Own Terms, (Thanks for the suggestion Breezeonby.) and watched The Future Of Food.

In Quit Digging Your Grave With A Knife And Fork Governor Mike Huckabee tells about his family history of poor eating habits, obesity, and diabetes, his own life long struggle with weight, his own story of being diagnosed with diabetes, and his path to losing weight.
Can somebody please tell me WHY they deep fry EVERYTHING in the south ?
Who in the world thought up deep frying ice cream and candy bars ?!?! :rant:

He doesn't go into great detail about controlling diabetes.
It's more of a 12 STOP program of tips and motivation to exercise and eat properly to become more healthy. Which in turn will help control diabetes.
For example in step #11 "STOP Allowing Food To Be A Reward". He talks about how most special occasions are celebrated with food. Such as birthday cake and stopping at the local Dairy Queen after a little league game.

I also like in the book when he talks a little bit about having a collection of soft sided coolers; a different size for every occasion.
I can personally relate to this. I currently have three different sized lunch coolers.
A very small one the size of a traditional six-pack, a medium one the size of two six-packs, and a large one the size of 4 six-packs.
The small one is great for when I go out for an afternoon motorcycle ride and need to bring along my afternoon snack of a couple pieces of fruit and some nuts.
I use the large one when I know I will be away from home during meal time and need to bring along my entire lunch or dinner.

Even though I have only read this book this past week.
I had unknowing been following some of the same advice in this book for the past year.

Read this book if you want an entertaining read about another person's struggle with weight and diabetes; and pick up a few good tips and some motivation while you read.

Diabetes On Your Own Terms is a great book for anyone new to diabetes.
It covers most of the basics you need to know for controlling diabetes.
I found it to be almost identical to the diabetes class that was prescribed to me when I was diagnosed last year.
If your insurance doesn't cover such classes and you can't afford one on your own; then get this book.

Don't have a clue about when and why to measure you blood glucose(BG) ?
Don't know what BG and A1C numbers to aim for ?
Don't know anything about carbs and how to eat them ?
Don't know what a realistic weight is ?
Don't know what all those prescribed drugs do to you and how they help diabetes ?
This book will explain the basics to help get you started.
I wish I had learned about this book when I was first diagnosed 18 months ago.

The dvd The Future of Food is another story about the dangers of genetically modified (GM) food and corporate America placing it in our food supply without our knowledge.
Much of it's information is the same as the other books and dvd's I've read and watched.
Such as how since GM crops produced their own insecticide they aren't covered by the FDA. But instead are classified as insecticides and fall under the responsibility of the EPA.
So just keep in mind the next time you eat any corn, soy, cotton, canola, or any of their derivatives (those ingredients that you can't pronounce).
Even the government admits they aren't food; they say they are poison ! :attention:

But it does have a couple of notable differences.
It details how Mexico's corn was contaminated by Monsanto's BT corn.
It goes into more detail about lawsuits Monsanto placed against farmer's whose crops was contaminated by Monsanto's GM products. Such as their corn and soy products.
It goes into more detail about how GM crops are produced.
(It was one thing to read about it in a book. But totally revealing to see it on a dvd.)
And the dvd does have some nice extras about school programs in which the children help grow produce in their own gardens at school.

--ET

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Finished reading two more books and watching another video.

I read Quit Digging Your Grave With A Knife And Fork by Mike Huckabee, Diabetes On Your Own Terms, (Thanks for the suggestion Breezeonby.) and watched The Future Of Food.

In Quit Digging Your Grave With A Knife And Fork Governor Mike Huckabee tells about his family history of poor eating habits, obesity, and diabetes, his own life long struggle with weight, his own story of being diagnosed with diabetes, and his path to losing weight.
Can somebody please tell me WHY they deep fry EVERYTHING in the south ?
Who in the world thought up deep frying ice cream and candy bars ?!?! :rant:

He doesn't go into great detail about controlling diabetes.
It's more of a 12 STOP program of tips and motivation to exercise and eat properly to become more healthy. Which in turn will help control diabetes.
For example in step #11 "STOP Allowing Food To Be A Reward". He talks about how most special occasions are celebrated with food. Such as birthday cake and stopping at the local Dairy Queen after a little league game.

I also like in the book when he talks a little bit about having a collection of soft sided coolers; a different size for every occasion.
I can personally relate to this. I currently have three different sized lunch coolers.
A very small one the size of a traditional six-pack, a medium one the size of two six-packs, and a large one the size of 4 six-packs.
The small one is great for when I go out for an afternoon motorcycle ride and need to bring along my afternoon snack of a couple pieces of fruit and some nuts.
I use the large one when I know I will be away from home during meal time and need to bring along my entire lunch or dinner.

Even though I have only read this book this past week.
I had unknowing been following some of the same advice in this book for the past year.

Read this book if you want an entertaining read about another person's struggle with weight and diabetes; and pick up a few good tips and some motivation while you read.

Diabetes On Your Own Terms is a great book for anyone new to diabetes.
It covers most of the basics you need to know for controlling diabetes.
I found it to be almost identical to the diabetes class that was prescribed to me when I was diagnosed last year.
If your insurance doesn't cover such classes and you can't afford one on your own; then get this book.

Don't have a clue about when and why to measure you blood glucose(BG) ?
Don't know what BG and A1C numbers to aim for ?
Don't know anything about carbs and how to eat them ?
Don't know what a realistic weight is ?
Don't know what all those prescribed drugs do to you and how they help diabetes ?
This book will explain the basics to help get you started.
I wish I had learned about this book when I was first diagnosed 18 months ago.

The dvd The Future of Food is another story about the dangers of genetically modified (GM) food and corporate America placing it in our food supply without our knowledge.
Much of it's information is the same as the other books and dvd's I've read and watched.
Such as how since GM crops produced their own insecticide they aren't covered by the FDA. But instead are classified as insecticides and fall under the responsibility of the EPA.
So just keep in mind the next time you eat any corn, soy, cotton, canola, or any of their derivatives (those ingredients that you can't pronounce).
Even the government admits they aren't food; they say they are poison ! :attention:

But it does have a couple of notable differences.
It details how Mexico's corn was contaminated by Monsanto's BT corn.
It goes into more detail about lawsuits Monsanto placed against farmer's whose crops was contaminated by Monsanto's GM products. Such as their corn and soy products.
It goes into more detail about how GM crops are produced.
(It was one thing to read about it in a book. But totally revealing to see it on a dvd.)
And the dvd does have some nice extras about school programs in which the children help grow produce in their own gardens at school.

--ET
Thanks for the update! I am glad you enjoyed "Diabetes On Your Own Terms". I wish I had read that after being diagnosed and I really had no support system. I was scared and did not know anything about diabetes except that it made your blood glucose high.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Breezeonby can you suggest any other books to read ?

Thanks;
--ET

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Breezeonby can you suggest any other books to read ?

Thanks;
--ET
Sounds like you have read everything! :D You are keeping some book store in business! :smile:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts