The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last many years I have been borderline, or not far over borderline. My A1C (or is it H1C?) was like 6-8 depending on when it was taken.

I went again on July 18, 2015, and it was like 13. I don't know how it got so high. I do take Metformin and Januvia but definitely could eat better. My doctor, as you would expect, wants me to come in soon. So I am going tomorrow.

For breakfast I usually have some yogurt and cereal. I looked at the Grape Nuts box and it said like 45 grams of carbohydrates.

So I am wondering, what sort of cereal (or other things) you have for breakfast that would be safe?

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Hi and welcome!

Well... That cereal has got to go. You'll find most members here don't eat that many carbs in a day much less in a single meal. You'd be better off with an old fashion breakfast of bacon and eggs. If you read a bit on the following sites you'll see why

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Don't worry. It's gonna run counter to what you e heard before, but if you try it you'll see it works!

I'll let you do some browsing and reading cause I'm sure you'll have questions. Lol

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
970 Posts
To answer your cereal question .... none.

You need to reduce your daily carbohydrate intake to a maximum of 45 grams, and begin systematic testing of your blood sugar, to see the direct effect of your food choices.

Also, an HbA1c of 8 is not "borderline".

Much guidance and wisdom is available here, but you have to make the commitment, and do the work, and the behavior modification.

Diet, not medication may be the solution for you.

Good luck.

Reactions: dpm0928 and mbuster

·
Super Moderator
9,721 Posts
Welcome to the forum. David has given you links to 2 very good web sights, make sure you read them. After you read the Bloodsugar 101 page David gave you, click the home button, there are several hours worth of reading and learning there that you can go back to at your convenience. Everything there has references to the scientific research where the information comes from, it is not just someones opinion or repeating of generic blablabla that so many other information sites might have.

·
Banned
79 Posts
Ground flax, hemp, or chia with lots of cream make a good hot cereal. Yogurt is tricky. It must be plain, whole milk, and Greek style to ensure it has low carbs and a decent amount of fat. Add some cream or sour cream to be sure. But please do not take my word for it. Use a meter and see how the various foods affect you.

·
Super Moderator
9,721 Posts
Almost forgot, do a search for breakfast mix. Fixing to make me another batch when my flavoring comes in.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Here's the breakfast mix link . . . and what it boils down to is removing the grains from your meals. These are the foods which spike your blood sugar the fastest and hardest. You'll be amazed at how much better you feel when you stop eating bread, pasta, rice, oatmeal, and all the other prepared foods containing wheat, corn, rice, oats, barley, and even quinoa.

Welcome aboard!

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
You have registered as a Type 1. If so, surely you must be on insulin. Or is the Type 1 an error ? Since you say you are on metformin & januvia. Diet surely is the key to good control. Do read the links given to you.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Welcome aboard, you have found a forum that can open a door for you to take control of your disease! Do the reading and research on your own, and like many of us, you will be amazed.

By the way, beware of Junivia...I was on it for about a year, while on it I have multiple severe chest colds that turned overnight into severe infections that had to be treated with antibiotics. I finally figured out they were from taking this stuff as it compromised you immune system. I got off it, my blood sugars did not change and I have not had any problems since and that was over 5 years ago!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
as an update

I had my followup with doctor on Wednesday. He said "I want to start you on insulin". I was petrified to have to do it. But there is this thing they call a "pen" with a twist-on plastic-tipped needle. You dial the amount you want and put it into your stomach. (You probably know all this).

Anyway I am on 25mg a night. I am not sure if it worked thought. I selected 25 and when I pushed the button I saw it rotate and the liquid go down, but I did not feel a needle in my stomach and when I took it out afterwards I did not see any needle tip. On the other hand the insulin must have gone somewhere and it did not shoot out onto the ground.

How can you ell if it worked?

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
First, I have to echo skb's question. Your history would tend to suggest type 2 rather than type 1 and the fact that you've just discovered the joys of insulin use reinforces that. It may seem a detail, but your type does matter particularly when managing insulin.

Please ask your doctor to confirm your type.

What type of insulin are you using? There are several but they break down into two main groups. Basal insulin is slow acting and intended to help with the longer term base level. Fast acting, or bolus insulin, is intended to help manage post meal spikes.

And using insulin pens. Yes it is that easy and painless. How to check that it worked? Given that you are using it at night, it does sound like slow acting insulin that you are using. You generally see the outcome of the dose when you check in the morning before breakfast.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
type

Doctor in Seattle when I lived there told me it is type 2.

How do you tell in the morning if it worked? By the way you feel?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Doctor in Seattle when I lived there told me it is type 2.

How do you tell in the morning if it worked? By the way you feel?
Check your fasting BG in the am and if it's lower than usual, then it probably worked. I'm pretty sure it worked if the screw thingy went down, LOL. I have gotten it stuck before and then I wasn't sure if I got part of it or what. I would just dial up the remaining and reinject.

It really is that simple. The first time I did it I didn't even push it in. The needed just glided in and I didn't feel it either. The needles are lubricated.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
No! by testing - You do have a meter don't you?

Back in 2010, I was prescribed basal insulin and given instructions for managing the dose. The instructions were simple. Like you I took the dose at night and tested when I got up in the morning. If three days running my blood sugar was below 80, the dose was cut by two units. If, three days running my blood sugar was over 120, the dose was to go up by two units. I never needed that bit of the rule.

I was diagnosed in mid August 2010. By the beginning of November, I no longer needed it and haven't since.

But to achieve that I followed the concept of Eat to the Meter and changed my way of eating modeled on LCHF for Beginners - Diet Doctor

Give it some thought!

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
If your doctor has not given you a meter when you are using insulin, even at a modest level, he is doing you a disservice. You need one and they are as easy to use as that insulin pen.

If all else fails head for Walmart and look at their Relion range.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
If your doctor has not given you a meter when you are using insulin, even at a modest level, he is doing you a disservice. You need one and they are as easy to use as that insulin pen.

If all else fails head for Walmart and look at their Relion range.
I probably would consider changing doctor's even. He should have given you a meter and called in prescription for strips. I had to do fasting in the beginning with lantus for my doctor and send him results every 3 days for adjustments. Then when he added the rapid acting insulin I was required to send him 4 readings per day every 3 days.

So if I were you, I would call him on the phone and request these things.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
injection

Hah! I was injecting wrong. You have to remove the plastic cap and the little inside cap. I suspected I was not doing it correctly and wasted 2 needles. Now I am doing it correctly.

·
Super Moderator
9,721 Posts
And you do have a supply of spare needles. I know my Lantus Solostar pen came "Needles not included"

Reactions: Shanny
1 - 20 of 44 Posts