The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Nice to find this forum because I'm finding everything overwhelming at the moment. Just diagnosed today with type 2. I'm 46 and very over weight. Hey I knew I was at risk and I've been making slow changes over the past year but I guess those changes weren't big enough. Now the big stuff begins. :eek:

I go to the Endocrinologist on Monday, I've also had thyroid disease for 15 years, to see what he want to do with me. He's the one who sent me for the glucose test, my regular GP never did, because he wanted to put me on a medication to help me lose weight. I don't know what he wanted to put me on he said it was a natural hormone that was just ok'ed in Canada to use 2 years ago. Well that was before he knew I had diabetes so I have to see what he thinks I should do.
I've been reading lots on the internet today. I would consider getting gastric bypass in the future if the dieting and medication don't work. I'm not sure I can take Metformin because it can effect thyroid.

Looking forward to chatting with all of you but I'll probably just skulk around reading posts to start.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Welcome Spygirl glad you found us :tea:

I am fairly new here myself and have found lots of great info! Another good reading site is Blood Sugar 101
I think many are low / lower carb eaters here and for me has worked pretty well at keeping the BG and A1C at better levels :)
Likely the visit to the Endo will be good and give you a starting point to obtain control. Please do post how that works!
Welcome on board !!!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Hi Spygirl and welcome! We are a chatty bunch but it's cool if you just want to lurk for a while. It takes time to get used to everything and the amount of information out there can be confusing at times. We're here for you when you want us. :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Although weight does have a connection to Type 2, there are many type 2's in the normal weight range. So don't ever blame yourself. Usually Type 2's are insulin resistant. This IR sometimes cranks out way too much insulin in response to eating carbs. All this extra insulin can account for much of your weight gain. Also one of the effects of having too much insulin on board is that it affects your hunger and no matter how much you eat you are still hungry. Many of us have been through this until we got our IR under control. A lot of type 2's use Metformin even those with thyroid problems. It is a great medication to reduce IR. Your doctor may also consider some of the injectible type 2 drugs like Byetta or Victoza. These seem to be very effective to help losing weight. I use the maximum amount of metformin and a very low carb diet plus exercise every day. The hardest thing for me to adjust to was the fact that even healthy foods like fruit and whole grains are not necessarily good for me as a diabetic. Use your bg meter 2 hours after you eat to figure out the effect food has on your numbers. Diabetics are asked to keep numbers 120-140 or lower. A normal person rarely goes above 120 and is usually back to fasting or 100 or below by 2 hours. My goal is to keep my bgs as close to normal as possible. I adjust my meals and snacks to reach my target bgs. Using this process I have eliminated wheat, bread and crackers, popcorn, rice, pasta, fruit, potatoes. The best foods for me are things made with almond meal and flaxseed, eggs, bacon, sausage, all meats and fish, most vegetables, cheese, nuts, seeds and my own homemade snacks made with grain free flours.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I would consider getting gastric bypass in the future if the dieting and medication don't work.
You didn't say whether you would consider bypass surgery because of your weight problem or as a cure for diabetes or both. I don't know if you personally know anyone who has had the bypass surgery, but I do. I was surprised the doctor agreed to the surgery for her in the first place because she doesn't have diabetes and was only about 20 pounds overweight, but I guess some doctors would do anything for money.

Anyway, she had to start out only eating one tablespoon of food X number of times per day, and she could only eat certain food, if I remember correctly, it was baby food. She has finally worked up to the point where she can eat 2 tablespoons of regular food at a time. I don't know if there are things she isn't supposed to eat. If so, she keeps that to herself, but I do know she gets sick at her stomach a lot and if she eats more than 2 tablespoons (which she does quite often), she throws up. And she tells me the rest of her life she will only be able to eat extremely small amounts of food per sitting.

As for being a cure for diabetes, many of us here at the forum have come to the conclusion that the reason people's bg drops to normal levels once they get the bypass isn't because they are cured of diabetes, but because they are eating so few carbs.

Another negative about bypass surgery is once you do it you are stuck with it forever, it cannot be reversed. There are also other dangers, like the band could slip and make it a life-threatening situation.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Hi and a big :welcome: from this fellow Canuck!

You're in much the same place I was a few months ago - It was around New Year's I found out I had diabetes - at 45 years old and 80+lbs overweight.

To date I've lost about 75 lbs and dropped my blood glucose to almost normal levels through a combination of regular exercise, a low-carb diet and being prescribed Metformin. Though not easy, it CAN be done!

Weight-Loss with a thyroid condition isn't easy - the thyroid problems often lead to insulin-resistance - which, in-turn, leads to increased appetite, increased fat-storage etc. Also, many people with thyroid problems have difficulty entering a lipolytic state (the state where bodyfat is used for energy instead of blood glucose.) There's a good article on this issue here, where they even talk about prescribing certain diabetes medications to aid in weight loss.

The big key to weight-loss for any insulin-resistant diabetic is a combination of low-carbohydrate diet AND regular (daily) exercise. I personally exercise 6 days per week now every week I can.

Read the forums, there's great info here and post whenever you have questions, concerns or just want some support. This is a great place and we're glad you found us!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Yahoo and welcome from the Calgary Stampede. Beefy is the exercise guru - great source of knowledge there. Regarding weight loss well my experience has been that it just comes off when you have this drastic change in diet. ZERO sugar - carb reduction - serious daily exercise. I have lost 20 lbs in 6 months 185 to 165 at 6'2" without trying and have been trying to figure out how to stabilize my weight. I tend to watch both my carb and fat intake as too much fat is hard on my pancreas so it's mainly chicken and fish for protein and nuts. Currently trying to build up some muscle and gain weight. Should have gotten ripped in my 20's now trying to get ripped in my 50's LOL it's never too late ;) good luck and hope you find your way quickly - I am still wandering but there are great people sources here to help make sense of it all.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
... Currently trying to build up some muscle and gain weight. Should have gotten ripped in my 20's now trying to get ripped in my 50's LOL it's never too late ;)
Nope, it's never too late... it just takes us a little longer :D

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Regarding weight loss well my experience has been that it just comes off when you have this drastic change in diet. ZERO sugar - carb reduction - serious daily exercise.
This is also the case with me. I'm not sure how much weight I lost in the couple of months prior to dx with very high numbers, but I know I was undergoing a rapid weight loss (typical of extreme numbers) and have estimated it at 10-15 lbs.

From the time I weighed in at my endo in mid-February to now, I have officially lost 35 lbs =without trying=! All I've watched is my carbs, and the result is I've lost my crazy cravings, eat to satiety but not beyond. Although I realize exercise is important, I'm having to work back up to that because of my fibromyalgia. However, the weight loss helps me move more in general, and just going for some walks is helpful.

The weight dropped off me and I'm no longer in my 30's - I'm 60! It has been miraculous really, and an eye-opener to the effect my undiagnosed, uncontrolled diabetes was having on my body. Who'd think I'd drop weight w/out even trying?

Give your body a chance to respond to a new way of being ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts