The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Did you eat anything between the 8:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. numbers? I have read alot of people here say that if you don't eat anything right away after that first fasting bg in the morning that your numbers will continue to rise until you eat. Doesn't make sense, but neither do our bodies! I posted before that my fbg this morning was 217 after a nice 110 before bed. DP at its best! Now I just checked my bg before lunch and it was 204 and all I had for breakfast was two eggs scrambled with some bologna. Go figure. And I took 15 u of Humulog! So, I went to give myself my shot before lunch, and I forgot to grab another pen and the pen I have is out! :eek: So, I am munching on a huge salad with lots of veggies (but no carrots), cheese, and a little bit of dressing. Hopefully I won't go too high before getting home and to where my pens are! I also did not take Levemir this morning as I want to see if it helps with the DP if I take it at bedtime instead. The chicken you ate probably sent your numbers down because 1) no carb, 2) gave your system something to work with. It's all a learning game sweetie. It isn't always easy, but things will get better. I keep telling myself that too.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Mornings are tough for Type 2's. Our insulin production is at the lowest during that time of day. I get my highest numbers in the morning. Are you taking any meds yet. Metformin will help you with those high morning numbers. I take 3 x 850 mg of metformin a day. I take 2 or the 3 pills during the morning to help with the spikes. Also I need to eat some protein and fat as soon as I get up. If I eat carbs I will spike even higher.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it sure is a game isnt it... I had 2 egg also at 8:30 right after i checked this morning... Guess my body is just acting weird lately... Im trying to get my numbers better because im trying to get pregnant soon. I see the fertility doc oct 4th to start the process of ici using a sperm donor and dont want anything to get in my way just want to be in a good place to carry a baby...

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Mornings are tough for Type 2's. Our insulin production is at the lowest during that time of day. I get my highest numbers in the morning. Are you taking any meds yet. Metformin will help you with those high morning numbers. I take 3 x 850 mg of metformin a day. I take 2 or the 3 pills during the morning to help with the spikes. Also I need to eat some protein and fat as soon as I get up. If I eat carbs I will spike even higher.
Interesting Jwags...I wonder if I changed my 2000 mg of Metformin to taking it all in the AM rather than splitting 1000 AM and 1000 PM if it would help with that DP spike as well? I might have to adjust that and try it for a week and see what happens. I know everyone's different, but SOMETHINGS gotta work right?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Yes it sure is a game isnt it... I had 2 egg also at 8:30 right after i checked this morning... Guess my body is just acting weird lately... Im trying to get my numbers better because im trying to get pregnant soon. I see the fertility doc oct 4th to start the process of ici using a sperm donor and dont want anything to get in my way just want to be in a good place to carry a baby...
It will be more difficult to control during pregnancy because of the hormonal changes and the need for more food for baby. I started out as a diabetic with gestational diabetes with my oldest daughter (she is now 19-1/2 y/o). Unfortunately I do not know if I was pre-diabetic before I got pregnant since I had no symptoms or it and they really didn't check back then (yes, I'm old!). With the first pregnancy, they did not check until the I think 26th week. It showed up then and tried diet control, but ended up on insulin for approximately 1 month. It went away after the baby was born. With my next pregnancy, they checked me much earlier since I had the gestational during first pregnancy. It was found in the 13th week and I was on insulin from that point forward. After that daughter was born (she will be 17 in another two weeks), the diabetes kind of hung around. I tried to ignore for as long as I could, but then my Mom died of end-stage renal failure from diabetes complications at the young age of 66. I do not want to be in that shape...I want to live a healthy long life. I'm 49 now, and plan on sticking around if the Good Lord sees fit to keep me here.
Now with all that said, congratulations on deciding to have a baby!:grouphug: I hope it goes well for you when you try. Nothing better (or worse) than having a child. It is the most awesome, and yet most frightening miracle in this world. Okay, I just finished a huge salad, ready for a nap, but have couple more hours of work! Talk with you all later. Take care.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have 3 other children and had good pregnancies but also didnt have diabetes either and my youngest is 11 so its been a while for me and my body so we will see what happens Hopefully all is good I have my fingers crossed lol

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
When you are pregnant they are much stricter with your bg range for fasting and after meals. Because of this many end up going on Insulin to make sure bgs don't go too high. You might want to discuss this with your doctor. It took some of us quite a while to get our bgs into a normal range, it doesn't usually happen overnight.

Naynay

I take 3 850's during the day. I try to spread the first 2 out at least 4 hours apart like 6 am and 10 am. I tried once taking 2 before bedtime to see if that made a difference and it made my bgs go up. So you have to experiment to see if it works.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I take glyburide twice a day and lantus at bed time I cant do metformin not even extened kind it makes me way too sick

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ate again at 1:30 was hungry had another piece of grill chicken and some lettuce with cheese bacon bits and dressing bs at 2:30 81

·
Registered
916 Posts
Interesting Jwags...I wonder if I changed my 2000 mg of Metformin to taking it all in the AM rather than splitting 1000 AM and 1000 PM if it would help with that DP spike as well? I might have to adjust that and try it for a week and see what happens. I know everyone's different, but SOMETHINGS gotta work right?

Doc told me to take all 4 of mine at bedtime. 2000. 25lantus too. my morning # are still very high.:(

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Ate again at 1:30 was hungry had another piece of grill chicken and some lettuce with cheese bacon bits and dressing bs at 2:30 81
That is actually boarding on a low, but it did go down. Did you check at 3:30?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just checked its 76... wth cant remember how long its been since I've had numbers this low in shock right now lol

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Yes I take glyburide twice a day and lantus at bed time I cant do metformin not even extened kind it makes me way too sick
Some people on long acting insulin like Lantus often split their dose to get better coverage during the day. How much lantus are you taking. Usually doctors will have you increase your dose by small increments at specific intervals until you get the desired morning bgs. It is too bad you can't take metformin since it does help with insulin resistance. You might talk to your doctor about other drugs that would do something similar. The glyberide seems to be working during the day but the one concern with it is that it causes an overproduction of insulin which can make some people more insulin resistant.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was on 32 units for a long time and it wasnt helping I started calling my doc two weeks go about it and never got a staright answer so I started playing around with the dose over the past few weeks and last night and the night before I took 42 units just to see if my morning bp would get better but it hasnt but my numbers after breakfest today have stayed low last time i checked was at 3:30 it was 76 i feel asleep till 6:30 checked it then and it was 87

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im mad at myself right now I mad a very poor choice and I knew better grrrr had evil instant mash potatoes and evil corn for dinner and a hr later im paying for it it spike my bs to 191 grrrrrrr

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Im mad at myself right now I mad a very poor choice and I knew better grrrr had evil instant mash potatoes and evil corn for dinner and a hr later im paying for it it spike my bs to 191 grrrrrrr
Okay, Heidi9478, potatoes AND corn? Grain, grain, grain! Yes, you are paying for it now...you are swinging with your bg's and that is not good at all. Also, you went as low as 76 before and laid down to take a nap. Were you feeling ill? 76 is really getting very low. I would have been afraid to lay down at that low of a number. Of course I would have been very hypoglycemic at that point! Behave yourself with the food! You could have eaten any other veggie and had some smashed cauliflower in place of the potato, or had a sweet potato at least! These are the things you must choose over those bad grains to help keep your bg's even. Ugh. I don't want to lecture anyone; I have no right to do that. I just care about everyone on here, and you have to be diligent with the diet. I'm struggling to get my bg's down, and I have not eaten a piece of bread, pasta, rice, potato, corn, carrots, etc. in quite a while, and I'm still getting highs. You are showing that you can get your numbers in a good range, but then you think that you can go back to eating like a non-diabetic. Uh uh. It is like an alcoholic quits drinking, and thinks I feel great, I can have one drink socially, but then they become drunk.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know I feel awful about dinner I know better I havent it like that in forever I guess i just had a moment of not caring I wont do it again... And when my number was at 76 I felt fine didnt have any hypo symptoms which i know is weired so idk we will see what tomorrow brings

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I know I feel awful about dinner I know better I havent it like that in forever I guess i just had a moment of not caring I wont do it again... And when my number was at 76 I felt fine didnt have any hypo symptoms which i know is weired so idk we will see what tomorrow brings
I guess I could be old enough to be your Mom, so as a Mom I'm just being stern for your own good! ;)
You must always care about yourself; if you don't take care of yourself, who will? You have your kids, and future kids, to think about as well. I'm sure they would like to keep you around. Tomorrow will bring a better choice in foods and better control of your bg's. :hug:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts