The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi guys,

I just joined this forum cuz I need some advice on what might be going on with me.

A few months ago, I started to experience the symptoms of hyPOglycemia; i was shaking, had migraines, sweaty palms, craved sweets, irritated, frustrated, blurred vision, stomach aches, easily moody, weak/fatigue, and my heart began racing.

I went to the doctor and he started ordering a buncha blood tests; I am low on Vit D, B12, EVEN THOUGH i take all those vitamins daily. And he said that my body is insulin resistant. he did a glucose test: fasting was 84 and 2 hrs after eating it was 50.

I've been seeing a endicrinologist too. Still following up.. they dont know what i have yet.

But about 2 weeks ago, my shakiness has gone away, but the other symptoms remained. I bought a glucose meter and now my numbers are the opposite.

I wake up (after fasting) with glucose level of 107, before lunch it's 106 (after not eating even breakfast cuz sometimes i dont have time... my glucose is suppose to go down) and after I eat lunch (subway sandwich and salad and water) it's up to 143. And it remains that way even thru the night...

I read that those numbers are in the pre-diabetic range... and only rarely i have "normal" levels. I just do know that my body isn't handling the sugars very well.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I do not eat white bread. The bread in your Subway sandwich is probably the reason for your higher blood sugar (143). That kind of bread acts very fast and raises your blood sugar high. The only bread I eat is low carb whole grain bread, 8 carbs per slice. I never have more than two slices per day.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sounds like you need to know what to eat and what not to eat to keep your blood sugar under control. All you have to do is ask questions and you'll get some great advice here. Welcome aboard.

G

·
welcome Rocky :) I agree with Richard and Raindance.... you need to learn what carbs work best for you. I use the Glycemic Index personally and I stick to low GI carbs as best I can. Some people on this forum barely eat any carbs... but I'm not one of those people... I eat a small amount of carb with every meal or snack. You need to look for the wholegrain as Richard says as that releases energy slowly into your blood stream rather than giving you a sudden spike and then a drop like refined carbs such as white bread does. I find myself that I get hypos (low BGLs) if I eat the wrong carbs for me. It's all a learning curve for you no doubt. You could also be a person that would be better off eating really low carbs too? Just use your glucometer to figure that all out. You'll find lots of support and info here. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I eat low fat meals... i eat a lot of salads, veggies, wheat bread. And I drink a lot of water. But my body still doesnt manage to keep the glucose under control. just now 2 hrs after i ate another low carb meal, my glucose was at 163. highest so far.... i have to write it all down and next week show my doctor...

G

·
I eat low fat meals... i eat a lot of salads, veggies, wheat bread. And I drink a lot of water. But my body still doesnt manage to keep the glucose under control. just now 2 hrs after i ate another low carb meal, my glucose was at 163. highest so far.... i have to write it all down and next week show my doctor...
I also eat a low fat diet as that's what works for me... but I know others here don't and they advocate high fat/low carb diet. You could give that a try and see how you go.... they eat lots of meat, cheeses, etc. Also I'm not sure what the wheat bread is? If it's just brown looking bread then it will be high GI and not great for your BGLs. You need to look for bread with actual grain you can see in it. I personally find bread like soy & linseed work well for me. I've tried spelt bread before which is low GI, but it's very expensive here (nearly $6 for really small loaf). The other thing to look into is what type of veggies are you eating? I did the low FODMAP diet earlier this year as part of my diagnosis for my stomach condition. The low FODMAP diet means you need to eliminate all types of fructose and lactose from your diet. There's a list of foods that have fructose of some kind... believe it or not one of the worst veggies is onions, they're loaded with fructan which of coarse is sugar and will raise your BGLs. All fructose of any kind is a carb and will raise your BGLs just as much as the traditional well known carbs. Any sweetner ending with 'OL' is also a type of fructose. That could also be worth factoring in if you're noticing higher BGLs. The other thing is that if you're not on any meds at all, you may need to be put onto meds to help you get your BGLs under control... this sometimes is just a temporary measure. Wishing you the best... let us know how you go. :D

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If you're eating wheat bread, you are not eating low-carb. Start building your meals around protein like meat/poultry/fish/eggs/cheese/nuts/avocados/etc., and ditch the grains/bread/potatoes/rice/pasta. THEN you'll see your numbers dropping. I promise.

There is no reason to eat a low-fat diet. If you're eating processed reduced fat foods, you're adding carbs to your meals because the food processors use carb to replace the fat they remove from things that start out as good healthy foods. Yes, we're all aware of the last 50 years' endoctrination that fat is bad, but that is a hoax, has NO basis in truth, and was indeed the result of studies in which the research was unscrupulously edited & manipulated. A very good description of the issue is found here.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I agree with Shanny, but it is important what types of fat you eat. For example, butter instead of margarine and real mayo instead of mayo-type spreads. Fats actually help when it comes to blood sugar levels. I know listening to us go on about a high fat diet being good for diabetics sounds like a fairy tale right now because I was in your shoes a month ago. But DH has been following the high fat/low carb diet that most people here recommend, and his blood sugar has gone way down and as a bonus, he has lost a lot of weight without even trying. Hope you will give it a chance, it works.

By the way, welcome aboard.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys for ur advice, and might I add that im 23 and weigh 112lbs. My whole family is skinny and I lose weight verrry easily and it's very hard for me to gain. Any exercise (Which i cant do since of extreme exhaustion to the point where im so weak that i cant get out of bed even) and too much "healthy" food will make me lose weight. i have to add a few fried chickens and mac and cheese in my diet to keep it steady. sometimes i drop below 110 and thats considered underweight for me and by my work standards. im 5'4.

it's frustrating and my doctor already said im insulin resistant and am pre-diabetic. im scared it'll turn into diabetes. :(:(

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
thanks guys for ur advice, and might I add that im 23 and weigh 112lbs. My whole family is skinny and I lose weight verrry easily and it's very hard for me to gain. Any exercise (Which i cant do since of extreme exhaustion to the point where im so weak that i cant get out of bed even) and too much "healthy" food will make me lose weight. i have to add a few fried chickens and mac and cheese in my diet to keep it steady. sometimes i drop below 110 and thats considered underweight for me and by my work standards. im 5'4.

it's frustrating and my doctor already said im insulin resistant and am pre-diabetic. im scared it'll turn into diabetes. :(:(
You're good to go with the chicken & cheese, but you'll have to watch the pasta & what kind of breading you use on the chicken. More on this later . . .

I think it would be good if your doc ordered you tested for GAD antibodies & c-peptide. You are very young & very thin to be automatically diagnosed type 2/insulin resistant. If cooperation from your doc is not forthcoming, then my advice would be to get a second opinion and soon.

Now tell me, do you do much cooking? Do you eat out a lot?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't believe everyone loses weight eating this way, I'm sure it depends on how many carbs they eat. My husband only has 30, and other diabetics have up to 60. I trust there is a magic number where you can keep your bs down and still not lose weight, maybe even gain if you want.

I would skip the mac & cheese if I were you, although some chicken made with the right type of breading and fried in pure olive oil sounds great.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're good to go with the chicken & cheese, but you'll have to watch the pasta & what kind of breading you use on the chicken. More on this later . . .

I think it would be good if your doc ordered you tested for GAD antibodies & c-peptide. You are very young & very thin to be automatically diagnosed type 2/insulin resistant. If cooperation from your doc is not forthcoming, then my advice would be to get a second opinion and soon.

Now tell me, do you do much cooking? Do you eat out a lot?

Yes, I like to cook myself because then I know exactly what is in the meal and how much of everything. When I cook I can regulate what to put in and what not. At work I do have to buy food during lunch, cuz I dont have time in the morning to make lunch for the next day and in the evenings I am so fatigued (not from work cuz the doc put me on 6 hr work shifts) and exhausted that I have a hard time getting out of bed. My morning fasting glucose keeps rising. this morning it was 123.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'm glad to hear you do your own cooking, and from scratch too. You can keep the fried chicken coming 'til the cows come home if you use a low-carb breading like Brandi's Breading. I have tweaked that recipe to use equal parts of all the ingredients & I keep a bag of it in the freezer at all times. I've used it on chicken, pork chops, beef cutlets & fish with smashing success. It makes marvelous pan drippings too, so if you're a gravy person, you can have all the gravy you want as long as you make it with cream instead of milk, and don't use potatoes or bread with it . . . start using cauliflower to make mashies. There are scads more recipes here, so have a look.

Again I urge you to have the tests for c-peptide & GAD antibodies. I just suspect there is more to this than your doctor is seeing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm glad to hear you do your own cooking, and from scratch too. You can keep the fried chicken coming 'til the cows come home if you use a low-carb breading like Brandi's Breading. I have tweaked that recipe to use equal parts of all the ingredients & I keep a bag of it in the freezer at all times. I've used it on chicken, pork chops, beef cutlets & fish with smashing success. It makes marvelous pan drippings too, so if you're a gravy person, you can have all the gravy you want as long as you make it with cream instead of milk, and don't use potatoes or bread with it . . . start using cauliflower to make mashies. There are scads more recipes here, so have a look.

Again I urge you to have the tests for c-peptide & GAD antibodies. I just suspect there is more to this than your doctor is seeing.

I have like 6 pages full of lab results... they tested for a lot of things... i know i did a c-peptide test.. not sure what the result was. they did a kidney ultrasound--it was good. but the fact that my body doesnt regulate glucose normal and is insulin resistant makes me feel frustrated.

i hope i dont have to inject insulin in my veins. :/

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I have like 6 pages full of lab results... they tested for a lot of things... i know i did a c-peptide test.. not sure what the result was. they did a kidney ultrasound--it was good. but the fact that my body doesnt regulate glucose normal and is insulin resistant makes me feel frustrated.

See if there's anything in those six pages about Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase - that's what GAD stands for.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I do not eat white bread. The bread in your Subway sandwich is probably the reason for your higher blood sugar (143). That kind of bread acts very fast and raises your blood sugar high. The only bread I eat is low carb whole grain bread, 8 carbs per slice. I never have more than two slices per day.
Richard, can you give the brand name of the bread you buy? Thanks!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Rocky, there's all kinds of things to learn about. Even though you think you may have eaten a "low carb" meal, carbs can still show up in hidden places like sugar alcohols and other ingredients that you aren't aware of. I didn't start reading nutrition labels until a month ago when I was diagnosed. You'll learn everything in time. :)

·
Registered
609 Posts

Definitely listen to Shanny, Rocky - she knows what she's talking about! I know it's hard to go low-carb out here in Philly, what with the cheesesteaks, hoagies, and cannolis taunting us, but it will get easier :)

·
Registered
609 Posts

If you are THAT scared, then the last thing you need to add to your diet is fried chicken and mac and cheese - your numbers will go through the roof. Try baking your chicken in poultry seasoning instead of frying it in a breading and lose the pasta altogether. An "acceptable" amount for a diabetic is about one ounce - maybe a small fistfull - which is still going to have about 40 carbs in it.

·
Registered
609 Posts

I'm not on insulin, but from what I understand it is not injected into your veins at all. I would suggest having your doctor write a script for a Diabetes education class. Not everything they teach should be taken as gospel since it is ADA sponsored, but it can give you a good idea of exactly what diabetes is and give basic guidelines.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts