The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone! My name is Kim, I live in Tacoma, WA and I'm 29 years old. I was diagnosed with type 1 in 1996 at the age of 12. In the last 18 years, I've definitely had my ups and downs. I struggled immensely in my teen years because I was embarrassed about being diabetic. I hated that I felt like everyone treated me differently so I pretended like I didn't have diabetes and seriously neglected taking care of myself. Of course it landed me in the hospital a couple times as I ended up in DKA. I finally started taking my health more seriously when I was 20 years old and I found out I was pregnant. I managed to carry my son to full term with no complications. He was born at a very average weight of 7lbs, 9oz., very healthy and perfect. I began wearing an insulin pump 4 years later when I became pregnant with my 2nd son. My A1C was consistently in the 5's or low 6's. My son was born at 38 weeks at 7lbs, 13 oz and again, healthy and perfect. The last two years have really been my biggest struggle as I have been diagnosed with Celiac, developed lactose intolerance, and gastroparesis. I've also struggled with depression and severe anxiety. Currently, my A1C is 6.3, I'm taking Zoloft for my depression and Clonazepam for my anxiety. I eat a very strict gluten free, dairy free, and gastroparesis friendly diet. I wear a MiniMed Paradigm pump and it has been a lifesaver...literally.

I try to keep my head up even though some days I feel like throwing in the towel. I don't work right now, but I'm going to go back to college starting this Fall to put all of my medical knowledge to good use in Health Information Technology. I'm excited to meet people that can relate to what I go through daily. :)

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, IrishRed! :welcome:

Wow. You've certainly done some time in the trenches ... but ... your excellent attitude will take you far! :grouphug:

You'll find lots of info, support and the best kind of nosiness here. We do have members with gastroparesis, Celiac and/or lactose intolerance; some may chime in before too long.

Please read a lot, ask lots of questions and ... most of all ... please come often, and keep us posted!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, Irish. I am type 2 and very new to diabetes.

For the past month or so I have been having a lot of digestion problems myself and I am due to have a colonoscopy and endoscopy in a few days so fingers crossed that the doctor will find out what the problem is. Trying to figure out what to eat that will cause the least distress to my system has been very challenging. I am sure you have been through more than your share of that and I hope that eating gluten free, dairy free, and gastroparesis friendly has given you a lot of relief from your digestive issues.

Having several health problems can be depressing, but thankfully we are often blessed in other ways, as with your two healthy sons and being able to go back to college in the fall. Some women go through depression when they aren't working or going to school, and although you are fortunate to be able to spend some time at home with your boys, be sure to make some alone time for yourself and time to get out of the house occasionally to spend time with friends.

Hang in there. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Irish, welcome! Having the right attitude, and going to college. That sounds great. I think you are on the right path now.

I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6, and have good diabetes health. We can fulfill our important goals in life, if we have good diabetes management. Good luck to you in all your pursuits.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.