The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Well, looks like I've finally found a life long club. I was diagnosed with Type 1 out of the blue about 3 weeks ago and life has certainly changed since. I'm 24, healthy, full of organics and exercise, so it was a shock. Doesn't run in the family which makes it more of a shock. Either way, I'm slowly coming to terms with it, and although I find myself constantly looking up new information and testing my blood to see what affects it, it can still be confusing.

I was just switched onto Novo Rapid insulin and Lantus, and my numbers have been much higher than normal...although I guess anything is normal coming down from 22mmol/l or to you USA folk, 396mg/dl.

Definitely had too big of a snack tonight and my body is not happy with me. It amazes me now that I'm aware of my diabetes, how much I can feel slight changes. A few too many crackers I suppose!

Anyway, I've been browsing this site and figured I may as well sign up, considering I'm now part of the club. ;)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Isla. You surely are enrolled in the club none of us wanted to join! And it surely is shocking & overwhelming at the beginning, especially if there's no family history to warn you.

We have such a good crew of type 1 friends that you'll get the best guidance you can find here & the rest of us other types will just be your cheering section. ;) Ask any questions you have & make all the comments - rant & rave if you have to - just make yourself at home here. It's so good to have you with us - thank you for joining us. :wave:

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Hi, there Isla! Pull up a chair and have some of that wonderful Cheddar with Optimist's great crackers.

Be sure to ask any thing you want...there's a lot of wisdom in this crowd of folks.

You'll have a happy life, no fear, we have several Type 1's here and they are doing fine.

Good luck,

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello, and welcome! You will need to learn all about carb counting, and how to determine your insulin doses. The books "Using Insulin" by John Walsh and "Think Like A Pancreas" by Gary Scheiner will teach you many things about type 1 and insulin. I eat about 130-140 carbs per day and I use fast acting insulin for every carb, including snacks. Your diabetes monster can be tamed, and you will have good numbers when you have done so. sk all the questions you want.

I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6, and am very healthy. You can have a long healthy life too, but that will require having good control.

Richard

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Isla
I too am type 1 and have been since 1985, I was diagnosed at age 10. I have encountered lots of things over the past 26 years with diabetes, so please feel free to ask any questions and I will try my best to help you and if I can't I'm sure someone on here will.
Welcome :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts