The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· Premium Member
9,420 Posts
I normally have a bowl of oatmeal and add some extra golden flax seed to my oatmeal and it leaves me feeling very full !!
How does the oatmeal leave your BG?

· Registered
21 Posts
How does the oatmeal leave your BG?

In the beginning ... I had problems because I added MILK to my oatmeal and so ... I now use just water { it may taste awful ... but you get use to it } I had HIGH NUMBERS in the beginning but soon learned what I ah can do to keep it down ... try it with water sometime and keep yourself busy after you have eaten !! :D

· Super Moderator
10,685 Posts
HisWinterRose said:
In the beginning ... I had problems because I added MILK to my oatmeal and so ... I now use just water { it may taste awful ... but you get use to it } I had HIGH NUMBERS in the beginning but soon learned what I ah can do to keep it down ... try it with water sometime and keep yourself busy after you have eaten !! :D
I had no problems with oatmeal until I found out 260 was not supposed to be an acceptable number for BG after eating it.

· Registered
710 Posts
Yeah - oatmeal was pretty tough on my blood sugar and required too much insulin. This recipe is great - what a great find! I've tested it all week using a half cup of cereal, and have included 35 grams of blackberries (1.5 net carbs), 44 grams of strawberries (2.5 net carbs) and about 17 grams of blueberries (1.9 net carbs) plus almond/coconut milk. Yum!

I'm still tweaking my bolus, as I'm a bit insulin resistant in the a.m., but so far it looks like between 1.5 and 2.0 units of Novolog does the trick.

To HisWinterRose: Try one of these beverages with some lower carb cereal (they all come in unsweetened versions): Almond milk, almond/coconut milk, or coconut milk. That water sounds ghastly....

Jen

· Registered
21 Posts
Thanks Jen ... my hubby has almond milk and I have not yet tried it but I do use coconut milk in my smoothies so ... all is good there I might ah give it a try in my oatmeal next time !! :D

· WHAT, I got D
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thought I would bump this thread a little, I made a new batch of cereal the other day that turned out wonderful.

I did a 1/2 cup of each, but this turned to be to much to bake off at one time even on two giant cookie sheets. Took me 2.5 hrs that night and an additional 1 hr the next morning. But it was worth it I got a giant bag full of cereal to eat for breakfast now.

1/2 cup of the following, suggest trying 1/4 first

Almond Flour
Ground Flaxseed
High Maize 260
WPI 5000 only, no 8000, makes it rubbery
Oat Fiber
1/2 cup of melted coconut oil
I used 1 cup of Erythritol and a 1/2 cup Splenda, I like my cereal sweet
pecan pieces, walnut pieces
dash of salt

Had everything in the food processor except for the pecans and walnuts. I got it spinning then added warm water until a pancake like batter formed, added the pecan/walnut pieces and mixed them in. Spread the whole thing out on 2 giant cookie sheets lined with parchment paper and baked at 250 for hours. When the cereal was dry enough to remove from the parchment paper I placed in on a cooling rack atop the cookie sheet. I then broke it into pieces and continued to bake it. It will not get real crispy while hot in the oven but will crisp up after it cools. My indicator it was done was when I opened the oven door and no steam was coming off the cereal. This cereal stays crisp even after soaking in Low Carb almond milk for a while so I had to break it up into some pretty small pieces. Had it for breakfast 2 mornings in a row. It was nice to enjoy a bowl of cereal for breakfast again. Thanks Shanny and others for cluing me on mixing the Almond Milk with some heavy cream, thats good stuff.

· WHAT, I got D
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
This is a warning of sorts. I have been eating this breakfast cereal every day now and although it is wonderful, it is like grinding a pile of rocks no matter how long you let it soak in the milk before you eat it. I ran this mornings bowl throught he food processor a bit, much better. So don't make the same mistake I did and make so much that you can't spread it thin on the cookie sheet, mine was pretty thick, lesson learned.

· WHAT, I got D
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I made another batch of this the other night but changed up a few things. Threw everything in it I had in the pantry, Oat Fiber, Corn Bran, RS, Almond Flour, WPI5000.

I used just enough water to make a hard dough that would come together if pressed in your hands. I worked the dough and crumbled it onto a cookie sheet, baked for 30 minutes at 250-300. Talk about a crunchy sereal, had to run this through the food processor again to eat it, I think gravel off the road would have been easier to chew. Crushed in the food processor made it real nice, its tasty thats for sure.

So next batch I will try adding something to give it some loft, I want it to be crunchy, but not rock hard. Maybe some baking soda or baking powder would do the trick.

· WHAT, I got D
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So after making this numerous times I finally got what I was looking for, not that the other batches were bad, I ate em.

Again threw everything I had into the mixer, but this time I added about two tablespoons of baking soda and some salt. To the water which I drizzled in while the food processor was running I added about two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. What cam out was a crispy, lofty, not terrible hard breakfast cereal, can't wait till tomorrow morning.

· Registered
12 Posts
Turned out wonderfully!! I did the 1/2 cup variations of almond flour, nuts (pecans, almonds, walnuts), chia & hemp seeds, coconut oil, 1/4 cup butter (DH's suggestion) & SF Maple DaVinci --- Awesome!! DH commented: "Don't lose this recipe!! It would be good in cookies!"
Thanks again!!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.