The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for suggestions that are healthy and aren't super fatty (i.e. Atkins diet stuff). The occasional bacon and eggs is ok, but what else to do for breakfast?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Looking for suggestions that are healthy and aren't super fatty (i.e. Atkins diet stuff). The occasional bacon and eggs is ok, but what else to do for breakfast?

Any suggestions?
So try looking at new ingredients, like almond flour & almond milk.
Also, stop thinking what is considered breakfast , lunch or dinner. Eat whatever you feel hungry for. So cook some hamburgers for breakfast and skip the bread or have 1 slice of bread. I eat 1/2 cup all natural applesause and 12 oz. of orange juice for breakfast. I take insulin, so I can cover the carbs in these foods. You can have some fruit, you just need to use your meter and find out how much your body can handle. Test before eating and 2 hours after eating. Your 2 hour after eating, this number show be headed down to your fasting number or below 140.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
What Breeze says . . . breakfasts for me are sometimes low-carb leftovers from supper the night before. If I have guacamole made up, it'll be that with cheese crisps. I just eat what I like whenever . . . the bacon & eggs goes down for supper, sometimes too.

And if you're a "cereal" person, but real cereal grains send your BG into orbit, here's a thread on a great invention from Marty (MCS) . . . http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/4165-breakfast-cereal.html#post27372

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Many of us who do low carb don't really limit fat. In fact I have found adding fat has lowered my bgs and allowed me to lose more weight. I usually eat a couple of cheese sticks when I first wake up to shut down DP. Then about mid morning I will have some bacon and eggs, low carb pancakes or waffles made with whey powder and flaxseed or some leftovers from dinner. I also buy Scandanavian BranCrisps from Netrition and spread them with Coconut Oil, raw Almond Butter and Walden Farms 0 carb Jam. A couple of those really fills me up and provides about 14 grams of fiber. When I cook dinner I always make extra. If I am grilling chicken or steak I make extra and eat it for breakfast with a few raw veggies. Most of us think breakfast has to be cereal, but it doesn't have to be.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Any suggestions?
1/2 cup of rolled oats with 1/4 cup of walnuts and cinnamon. Plain oats, no other ingredients. I buy at bulk food store by the pound. Add 1 cup water, and microwave for fixed time. You will have to experiment with the time, but do not over cook them, as it breaks down the grain too much and raises the GI.

The cinnamon adds some flavour and is a supposed to be good for insulin resistance as well. It works for me!

Bob in Doylestown, PA

1 - 6 of 6 Posts