The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Ive been diagnosed for 2 weeks now and I'm having a hard time finding things to eat for breakfast. I have figured out that anything over 10 carbs spikes me drastically!! And not to mention I HATE EGGS!!! for the first week I sucked up my hate for them and eat them but now I can't bring myself to even look at them. So now I have no clue what to eat for breakfast. I'm hoping to get some ideas that I can try!!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Bacon, Sausage, ham. All good breakfast meats since eggs are out. I wouldn't worry too much about fat content with cutting out so many carbs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have recently tried this combo ... Its about 20 carbs if u want to try ... 1 cup lowfat small curd cottage cheese, half cup frozen blueberries, quarter cup almonds and cinnamon sprinkled on top! Full all morning!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Heh - this brings back memories of when I was first diagnosed and lost with what to eat. One of my first questions was - what the heck do I do about breakfast?! Here's the thread - some helpful ideas :)

http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-diet-nutrition/4502-need-breakfast-ideas.html

I read my question now and it's a riot. Now I'll eat bacon by the bucket, not on the low-fat cholesterol bandwagon, reject fruit ... the list goes on....

Reactions: Carolina

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
How 'bout THESE babies, from our own MCS? Just make sure you use a non-spikey brand of why powder ...

Protein Breakfast Brownies

Not to sweet, just right for my morning coffee if I want to skip the egg routine.

I forgot to add that the protein powder I used was chocolate flavored and sweetened with Stevia. 25g of protein/scoop.

4 scoops of protein powder, Cal-440, Carbs-0, Pro-100,
1 cup Almond Flour, Cal-690, Carbs-12, Pro-24, Fat-56
1 cup Flaxseed, Cal-897, Carbs-3, Pro-31, Fat-71
3 eggs, Cal-270, Pro-18, Fat-21
1 cup Coconut Oil, Cal-1879, Fat-218
1 cup of mixed walnuts pecans, Cal-758, Carbs-6, Pro-19, Fat-154
1/2 cup Almonds (slivers), Cal-311, Carbs-5, Pro-23, Fat-53
1/2 cup Cocoa, Cal-98, Carbs-10, Pro-8, Fat-6
1 cup Heavy Cream, Cal-414, Carbs-3, Pro-2, Fat-44
1/2 tsp of baking soda
1/2 tsp of baking powder
1 cup Erythritol

I mixed all of the above and then poured in the melted coconut oil that was warm enough to not set up when mixed in.

I spread this mix out onto a large cookie sheet, 13*17" and baked for 20 minutes. Pretty good indeed.

Whole tray:

Cal- 5757
Carbs- 43
Pro-225
Fat-623

·
Registered
19 Posts
My DH make a great crustless quiche with half and half and broccoli and cheddar and eggs, he also puts in an array of herbs but no salt our daughter does not like eggs but loves this quiche... Go figure

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I tried all sorts when I was diagnosed in February, eggs and meat based brekkies weren't for me. I have settled on 150g Full fat Greek Yoghurt (about 6g carbs) with either 1 heaped dessert spoon of sugar free homemade fruit compote or 1 small teaspoon of honey and 15g sliced almonds.

Reactions: hippiechic

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
And then for mornings when you don't have to go racing off to work, try this old standby . . . it's what we had this morning. Eggs Benedict

(Oops! Forgot what you said about eggs, but maybe with enough bacon & hollandaise, you won't notice the egg! =)

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you have the fear and want to avoid the problem of the over weighting then you must use the liquid food in the breakfast that is to good to avoid this problem. Fresh juices will be best for this purpose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts