The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have mentioned before that breakfast is a meal I struggle with - before DX I used to just grab a Breakfast Cereal Bar mid-morning. I have tweaked a recipe from Elana Amsterdam, which kind of fits the bill for a pocket/bag sized snack to eat on the go. The beauty is that no sugar or sweetener is required - as yet I have not tried to add spice or extract that will be my next tweak so regard those as suggestions... :)

8 Servings

Amount Per Serving
Calories 238.7
Total Fat 19.4 g
Saturated Fat 6.2 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 6.5 g
Monounsaturated Fat 5.7 g
Cholesterol 69.4 mg
Sodium 180.0 mg
Potassium 288.1 mg
Total Carbohydrate 12.6 g
Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
Sugars 5.5 g
Protein 7.6 g

BREAKFAST MUFFIN BARS
INGREDIENTS
½ cup almond flour
½ cup shredded coconut
¼ cup flax meal
¼ t salt
½ t baking soda
6 dates/prunes
3 large eggs
2 T coconut oil (melted)
¼ cup water
¼ cup sesame seeds
¼ cup sunflower seeds
¼ cup chopped walnuts
¼ cup chopped dried apricots
(1 t orange extract/1 t cinnamon?)

Preheat the oven to 350oF/180oC.
Prepare a square brownie tin by greasing and lining with baking parchment. Grease again.
In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut, flax meal, salt and baking soda. In a high powered blender, puree the spice, extract, dates/prunes, eggs, oil and water on high speed until very smooth. Stir the wet ingredients into the almond flour mixture until blended, then stir in the seeds, nuts and apricots. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for approximately 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. (Or until the top is nicely brown) Allow to cool and then slice into 8 bars. If you want to lower the carb. count make smaller bars 

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Sounds great. I think making your own bars is so much better than buying processed ones. I have trouble with breakfast, too, I am never hungry but I know I have to eat otherwise bgs go crazy. Thanks.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thanks for sharing. This will be this afternoon's project.

Reactions: 1970clea

·
Registered
206 Posts
I love breakfast bars! They are quite handy to have when you have a crazy hectic day. Sometimes I unexpectedly work long hours so a breakfast bar is a good option to have in my purse. Better than cheese because I like my cheese cold!

Thanks for sharing! This goes on my to-cook list :)

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
The recipe looks great. My biggest problem with homemade stuff is making it! I get all excited, and then by the time I get home from work, do some clean up in the house, and relax for a few, I don't want to do anything! But, this will definitely go in the LC/HF recipe box. Thanks.!

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
These look seriously yummy - with the only potential drawback being portion control. But I can do it, I'm sure I can! (maybe)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts