The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Date taken: 26 Nov 13 - fasting

Blood Sugar Reading: 75.00 mg/dL.

Replacing Cinsulin with exercise, Day 3. I had higher numbers last night (85), but they are more than accpetable. I'm ready to make the change. Nearly 6 months of no medication. Life is definitely different without it, much harder to keep those numbers down. But, I'm seeing slight improvements in other areas... sleeping longer with only one interruption, sometimes none, slight energy increase this last month, less trips to the bathroom, less of a foggy brain, but have a way to go with this.

It's Week 33, Day 2 of strict ketogenic diet. Improvement is slow, but moving forward. All is well, this morning.

Click for more charts and readings

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Date taken: 26 Nov 13 - fasting

Blood Sugar Reading: 84.00 mg/dL.

One egg fried in bacon fat. Two pieces of bacon. A humongous cheesecake. Two pieces of Chocolate Almond Butter Pecan fudge. Two mugs of coffee.

Calories 1,366
Carbs..... 17
Fiber ........ 5
Protein ..... 24
Fat ...... 127

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Date taken: 26 Nov 13 - fasting Blood Sugar Reading: 84.00 mg/dL. One egg fried in bacon fat. Two pieces of bacon. A humongous cheesecake. Two pieces of Chocolate Almond Butter Pecan fudge. Two mugs of coffee. Calories 1,366 Carbs..... 17 Fiber ........ 5 Protein ..... 24 Fat ...... 127 Click for more charts and readings
This was after breakfast, not fasting.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Date taken: 26 Nov 13 - after dinner

Blood Sugar Reading: 79.00 mg/dL.

Bacon Hamburger with Horseradish and Mustard. Fudge and Coffee with Cream.

Calories..... 464
Carbs.........4
Fiber..........2
Protein......18
Fat......... ..40

Ok, I should have had a good salad, today instead of the extra cheesecake. I was lazy. But, I'm headed to the gym.

Total calories today = 2451
Total Carbs.............= 29
Total Fiber .............= 8
Total Protein...........= 50
Total Fat ................= 226

Ketogenic ratio = 2.8
Macros ............= 86-9-5

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Date taken: 27 Nov 13 - fasting

Blood Sugar Reading: 73.00 mg/dL.

Lost 0.4 pounds!! Yay! The walk/run for 30 minutes in the evening did me a world of good. I'm sore today, but I will push it anyway because I won't be home until tomorrow. I also managed to do some sit-ups and push-ups (not many). I'm getting stronger! Truly happy about this.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Date taken: 27 Nov 13 - after breakfast

Blood Sugar Reading: 81.00 mg/dL.

I have a dentist appointment, today, ugh.. so I didn't have my full breakfast. I've been experimenting on extremely high fat in the mornings, and I believe that this is what is giving me so much energy at night. I also feel sharper during the day.

Week 33, Day 4 on LCHF

Just Chocolate Almond Butter Pecan Fudge made with grassfed butter and coconut oil, and a Mondo Crustless Cheesecake. 3 Mugs of coffee with 1 tablespoon of heavy whipping cream each.

Calories ..........1,178
Carbs .............15
Fiber ...............3
Protein ...........16
Fat .................111

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Date taken: 27 Nov 13 - after lunch

Blood Sugar Reading: 72.00 mg/dL.

Just got back from the dentist, so actual food is probably out. Right now, just having coffee with one tablespoon of heavy whipping cream. I really wanted a big salad for lunch, but chewing is probably not a good idea right now.

Unfortunately, this BG was measured half-way through my big mug of coffee.. So, I may have gone a bit low.. probably upper 50s, not too bad. But, I haven't eaten in a while. I can't seem to go more than 2 to 3 hours, max, before noon, without eating or drinking something. Just too much insulin maybe? Hard to think right now, so I have no idea. Must have been a pretty rapid rise. Hate those.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Date taken: 27 Nov 13 - after dinner

Blood Sugar Reading: 83.00 mg/dL.

In great discomfort after the dentist. Truly feeling unwell, tonight. I'm also unable to chew, so my dinner was mostly soft food, to include too much of the tenderest chicken. I'm very disappointed in my macros today; way too much protein.. and I don't know that I'm going to the gym.

Dinner was slow baked herbed chicken, pseudo cheesecake, fudge, and coffee. I ate a little later than expected, as well. Will the above cause my fasting to go higher. It might.

I leave early tomorrow for the drive home.

Calories ..........1,139
Carbs ..............11
Fiber ................2
Protein .............54 (Yikes!!!)
Fat ...................92 (Bummer)

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Date taken: 28 Nov 13 - night time

Blood Sugar Reading: 96.00 mg/dL.

I'm in pain, I ate too late, I had too much protein in one sitting with bad meal macros, I just took aspirin, I'm going to bed.

Totals

Calories .......... 2,369
Carbs ...............26
Fiber ................5
Protein .............70
Fat ....................209

Ketogenic Ratio = 2.47

MACROS = 83-13-4.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Date taken: 07 Dec 13 - fasting

Blood Sugar Reading: 87.00 mg/dL.

Ok, so I'm officially back. My highest fasting BG during Thanksgiving break was 97. It's taking some time to repair. Ugh. It's a good number and I can live with it, but I was doing so much better before. I just simply over ate. I think I had about 38 carbs max per day, but I just ate whenever, and I went above 3000 calories on one day.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Date taken: 07 Dec 13 - after breakfast

Blood Sugar Reading: 102.00 mg/dL.

So, back to my enormous breakfasts. I'm happy with this number, for now. It would be nice to get it below 90 at all times, but that just won't happen without some daily exercise. I'm so lazy! And, I'm actually having trouble keeping my carbs down after the break. I'm doing it, but I just teeter on the edge. I'm trying to have some patience and grace over myself, but I'm my worst critic. Hopefully, I will find some discipline within myself today and just go for a walk/run. What's 30 minutes, right? Riiiiiight. :)

Calories .......... 1,321 (not including a 52 calorie coffee a couple of hours before breakfast)
Carbs ............ 17
Fiber ...............4
Protein .............26
Fat .................122

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Date taken: 07 Dec 13 - after lunch

Blood Sugar Reading: 85.00 mg/dL.

Just Chocolate Almond Butter Pecan Fudge and Coffee with HWC. I feel so full of energy, today. Just fully satisfied as well. Front loading the fat seems to help so much.

Calories .......... 323
Carbs .....................4
Fiber ......................2
Protein ..................2
Fat ........................34

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Date taken: 08 Dec 13 - after dinner

Blood Sugar Reading: 85.00 mg/dL.

Today was a fabulous day. Strangely, with all the fat I had in the morning, I had the opportunity to actually eat more 'real food' and realized that it felt like too much food. I kind of forced down the salad because I knew I had to go out this evening. I ran out of energy toward the end of the outing, felt that tunnel vision coming on. I should have eaten more today. At some point in life, I'm going to figure this out! Tomorrow has to be a higher protein day. BGs are stable enough.

Dinner was Taco Soup, lettuce, cucumbers, olive oil and vinegar, coffee with HWC.

Calories ................. 436
Carbs ..........................7
Fiber ............................1
Protein ......................18
Fat .............................38

Total for the Day

Calories ................2,132
Carbs .........................28
Fiber ...........................7
Protein ......................46
Fat ..........................200

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Date taken: 09 Dec 13 - fasting Blood Sugar Reading: 75.00 mg/dL.

Well, that took almost a week to come back down. Yesterday was a hungry day. I had close to 2600 calories and 37 carbs. Some of those carbs were from avocado, and that's a safe food for me, so I just let myself go to 37. But, I lost another 0.4 pounds which makes me truly wonder what in the world are my maintenance calories. I still want to lose another 5 pounds but, goodness gracious, I feel like I eat all morning and early afternoon long, and long before I feel like I can go about my day. Again, I'm in the "mornings are bacon, eggs, sweets and treats" and "afternoons are real food" phase. I guess this works for weight loss because if I spread these calories out all day, I gain weight. I Still don't fully understand this diet.

Today is Week 35, Day 1 of strict nutritional ketosis.

I have to add, I have not exercised all week, pretty sedentary. So, what about active days? I read a book all day yesterday. I'm actually pretty worried.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Date taken: 09 Dec 13 - after breakfast

Blood Sugar Reading: 94.00 mg/dL.

I guess it's better than yesterday's. I had a hard boiled egg, cheesecake, 2 pieces of fudge and two mugs of coffee with heavy whipping cream.

Apart from the 52 calorie coffee with HWC I had in earlier, my breakfast was...

Calories..........1,303
Carbs .................18
Fiber ....................4
Protein ...............23
Fat ...................121

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Date taken: 09 Dec 13 - after dinner

Blood Sugar Reading: 95.00 mg/dL.

Taco Soup, Avocado with Olive Oil and Vinegar, a piece of Chocolate Almond Butter Pecan Fudge, and Coffee with Heavy Whipping Cream

Calories ............796
Carbs ..................12
Fiber .....................5
Protein ................19
Fat .....................76

Totals for the Day

Calories .................2,151
Carbs ........................30
Fiber ...........................9
Protein .......................42
Fat .............................203

Ketogenic Ratio -- 2.7
MACROS = 86-8-6

I've been terribly lazy and haven't cooked very much lately. My daughter got sick and went off of Keto, so she eats like a rabbit these days. But, ok,.. it's time to cook for myself, at least.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts