The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The original broccoli and rice recipe called for Velveeta, but all of the low carb broc. rice recipes I found online call for cheddar cheese. I don't use Velveeta any more, but I think Amer. cheese comes close to the taste of Velveeta, so I came up with this recipe, and I made it today. It tastes very good, even the old man who claims he doesn't like cauliflower, liked it. I gave my sister some and she said it is very close to original broc. and rice, and she asked for the recipe.

The recipe calls for frozen broc. and cauli. but you can use fresh. Also, if you want to add mushrooms or sauté some onion and/or celery in butter and add that, go for it.

Broccoli and 'Rice'

1 bag frozen chopped broccoli (approx. 12 oz.), steamed, drained
1 bag frozen cauliflower (approx. 12 oz.), steamed, drained, chopped
1 can chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
6 slices (6 oz.) American cheese

In a skillet, bring the broth to a boil. Add cream, cream cheese and Amer. cheese. Cook and stir until chesses are melted and sauce is thick. Stir in the broccoli and cauliflower.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Are you serving this over real rice or cauliflower rice. I wouldn't think the velvetta would be a problem but if you are using real rice , it really adds to the carbs quickly.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you serving this over real rice or cauliflower rice. I wouldn't think the velvetta would be a problem but if you are using real rice , it really adds to the carbs quickly.
Don't I wish I could use real rice. No, the chopped cauliflower is the 'faux rice'.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't think the velvetta would be a problem
I stopped eating Velveeta because I read several places on the forum not to eat processed cheese, but if anyone stated the reason it is bad for us, I missed that post.

With 'unprocessed' cheese they don't milk the cow, then put the milk directly in a cheese wrapper. They have to use a 'process' to start with milk and end up with cheese, so it looks to me like unprocessed cheese is also processed. I feel like a cheese dunce. Can someone please enlighten me.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, it works, but for me there is something about the taste of Velveeta in certain dishes. I'd like to go back to using it, but won't if there is some sort of danger in eating it.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I stopped eating Velveeta because I read several places on the forum not to eat processed cheese, but if anyone stated the reason it is bad for us, I missed that post.

With 'unprocessed' cheese they don't milk the cow, then put the milk directly in a cheese wrapper. They have to use a 'process' to start with milk and end up with cheese, so it looks to me like unprocessed cheese is also processed. I feel like a cheese dunce. Can someone please enlighten me.
I stopped using Velveeta for one main reason: it never dies! It could sit in the refrigerator for six months or more, and never a spot of mold - some crystallization perhaps, but never mold. Now c'mon! What the heck have they done to it that it doesn't mold? CHEESE MOLDS! Sometimes it's SUPPOSED to mold! Leftovers of all kinds eventually mold in the fridge. But not Velveeta . . .

I do still use a little American cheese sometimes, although I believe it to be "processed" too, but at least I have to use it up in a very few weeks or it molds too.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I stopped using Velveeta for one main reason: it never dies! It could sit in the refrigerator for six months or more, and never a spot of mold - some crystallization perhaps, but never mold. Now c'mon! What the heck have they done to it that it doesn't mold? CHEESE MOLDS! Sometimes it's SUPPOSED to mold! Leftovers of all kinds eventually mold in the fridge. But not Velveeta . . .

I do still use a little American cheese sometimes, although I believe it to be "processed" too, but at least I have to use it up in a very few weeks or it molds too.
You're right, Velveeta is sort of invincible and I guess that isn't good when it applies to cheese. Think I'd better stick with substituting American for Velveeta.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts