The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I sometimes make this with cauliflower too - half broccoli & half caulflower. There are so many recipes floating around for this, and that's because it's delicious! :D (we like it better without the cheese)

4-5 cups broccoli florets
1/2 cup sunflower kernels
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/2 jar real bacon bits
4 oz. grated cheddar cheese (optional)
----------
DRESSING:
1 cup mayonnaise
sweetener equivalent to 1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. vinegar

Combine salad ingredients and chill.
Combine dressing ingredients and add just before serving.

If low-carb is not an issue, you can add
1 cup raisins -OR- 1½ cups red seedless grapes to this recipe, but these are not a good choice for the LCHF WoE.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I make a similar version to this - a batch every week. We have discovered that our numbers are so low after eating it with a protein! I use broccoli crowns and cut off the tips, bacon bits, shredded cheddar jack, cranberries, sliced almonds, and coleslaw sauce. We found that the regular Hidden Valley Ranch version had the lowest amount of carbs, and SO good!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It IS a tremendous salad. And if it's of any consequence at all, the mayonnaise/vinegar dressing recipe shown there, has NO carbs when made with liquid sucralose (Splenda). I don't know how bottled cole slaw dressings taste, but this is basically the cole slaw dressing I've always used, although I add pineapple flavoring sometimes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts