The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't even going to say anything about this because I don't want anyone to worry, but I'm kind of at my wits end financially, with diabetes. I ran completely out of food yesterday and can't go shopping again until Friday, and literally have $5.85 for the week. No one I know can loan me anything and I went to a food pantry and all they have is crap that a diabetic can't eat. All I have in the house is the same - pre-diabetes pancake mix and my beloved english muffins. I could have that stuff for the next five days, but that's gonna kill all the great work I've been doing getting my numbers down to 110 and under. I didn't have anything today except an Atkins shake and I've been drinking water all day to try to stave off the hunger, but it's not working. I'm soooo hungry....:(

This is a position I haven't been in since my broke college days, and I wasn't diabetic then, so this is alien territory to me, considering I was once semi-wealthy and now I'm on food stamps that don't give a diabetic nearly enough to live on for a month.

I don't know the wisest way to spend my piddling $5.85 - does anyone have a suggestion to make it last till Friday? I know it's a goofy question, but....:)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I would buy eggs, for sure, Rosie . . . that would give you a coupla eggs a day to stretch however you can - don't just cook 'em & eat 'em, but make egg salad or omelet or something that will seem like a bigger meal.

Bless your heart - I've been there too.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think shanny hit on it. Eggs are a good source of protiein. Also if you can get some peanut butter at the food pantry. Do they have canned veggies? I know they are not ideal but they are better than nothing.

Reactions: Gma

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
I'd consider a can of tuna to mix with the egg - it has tons of protein. Maybe the food pantry has canned tuna?

Is there a soup kitchen? Community outreach of some sort? I know the churches in this area help a lot, or might be able to help with resources as to where you might go.

Tough times. I'm so sorry ...

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rosie - I found this: Food Resource Guide - Soup Kitchens*By ZIP Code

There's a check mark by each as to the day they're serving - and also phone numbers.

Hope this helps.
That's so sweet of you, Moon. :) I'm a little too proud for that, though. I think the first couple of months of diabetes has to be the hardest, financially - gotta do so much experimenting and throwing away of good food if it spikes you, and making lots of mistakes. I'm going to be EXTREMELY frugal this coming month, now that I know my basic menus. And this month I'm going to buy emergency end-of-the-month food aside for times like these!

What makes me really angry though, is the grocery store that's near me (I don't have a car, so I have no other choice). Pretty much everything I buy there goes rotten within a day or two, despite looking healthy in the store - celery, asparagus, broccoli, ALL a waste of money. I bought two packs of Bob Evans sausages links last week that were both at least three weeks from the expiration date and wouldn't you know it, BOTH of them went rotten on me and AFTER I threw out the receipt, so I was out $12 and those links would come in really handy right now. Even wrote to both the store and Bob Evans and no response from either. Figures :mad:

O

·
0 Posts
so sorry to hear this Rosie... I like Shanny's recommendation... eggs may be the go. In your next shop... maybe invest in more frozen vegetables instead (they're supposed to be better than fresh actually as they are snapped frozen at their freshest). Look for more stuff you can stick in your pantry and that may come in handy if you get to this point again. Buying fresh can be expensive... so I guess just finding a balance you can work with is what you're aiming for. Another question I have for you is do you have a growers market nearby? If not, do you have family or friends that can drive you to a growers market? If you know anyone that uses them.... it would be a good money saver for you as these markets generally sell at either wholesale prices or a lot cheaper than grocery stores... the supermarkets always do markups. Just a thought.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Rosie, I wish I could help, but eggs are a great bargain and with a can of tuna can make a couple of meals. I keep a couple of cans on hand just for such a situation, altho' I haven't been there in years. Beans just aren't a choice for those of us low carbing but better than nothing. Also, canned chicken may be a choice? It's not bad and can make a good sandwich or salad. I'd say go back and look again at the food pantry or even call around to churches in your area and tell them what you need, they may be able to supply basic needs.

Wish you lived closer,

(((((hugs))))))))))

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so sorry to hear this Rosie... I like Shanny's recommendation... eggs may be the go. In your next shop... maybe invest in more frozen vegetables instead (they're supposed to be better than fresh actually as they are snapped frozen at their freshest). Look for more stuff you can stick in your pantry and that may come in handy if you get to this point again. Buying fresh can be expensive... so I guess just finding a balance you can work with is what you're aiming for. Another question I have for you is do you have a growers market nearby? If not, do you have family or friends that can drive you to a growers market? If you know anyone that uses them.... it would be a good money saver for you as these markets generally sell at either wholesale prices or a lot cheaper than grocery stores... the supermarkets always do markups. Just a thought.
We do have an Amish farmer's market not far from me, I haven't thought to check it out, but I will now!

Actually, I detest frozen vegetables. I have yet to find a package that doesn't turn to absolute mush when you cook it. Fresh is the only thing I buy, although I hesitate to call it 'fresh' when it comes from the market near me! :D

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Rosie, I love frozen cauliflower for mashed faux potatoes and I don't hate the others...there a are a good many that are good. Like frozen spinach and brussels spouts...I'm not a snob about frozen vegetables, but it does depend on the use you have in mind for them. I end up throwing a lot of fresh vegetables away when I can't eat all of them before they 'die' as I am alone. It might help you next month to rethink your uses and then pick the ones you'll eat all of and then choose the ones you will just as easily eat frozen.

Just a thought...

O

·
0 Posts
another suggestion Rosie is that if you do only prefer the fresh vegies... then think of dishes you can make where you freeze portions for later. If you don't like the taste of frozen vegies... then the way to go without the waste would be to make up dishes/meals with them and freeze them. I do this personally with food as I don't like to waste stuff (although I still manage to do that at times). But remember I only eat basmati rice and pasta mainly as my carbs... so I tend to make stuff that goes with that. I'm sure you can think of stuff you have already made that could be frozen. So you make more than usual and freeze a portion. That way if you continue this as a habit you will find that you actually have meals in your freezer when you need them and they're not grocery packaged ones... but homemade. My friends and family think I'm super organised as when they open my freezer they normally find a few frozen meals in there. lol. I've since inspired some of my friends to do the same and they've figured out it's handy when busy.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
another suggestion Rosie is that if you do only prefer the fresh vegies... then think of dishes you can make where you freeze portions for later. If you don't like the taste of frozen vegies... then the way to go without the waste would be to make up dishes/meals with them and freeze them. I do this personally with food as I don't like to waste stuff (although I still manage to do that at times). But remember I only eat basmati rice and pasta mainly as my carbs... so I tend to make stuff that goes with that. I'm sure you can think of stuff you have already made that could be frozen. So you make more than usual and freeze a portion. That way if you continue this as a habit you will find that you actually have meals in your freezer when you need them and they're not grocery packaged ones... but homemade. My friends and family think I'm super organised as when they open my freezer they normally find a few frozen meals in there. lol. I've since inspired some of my friends to do the same and they've figured out it's handy when busy.
Because of what's been happening at the market where I buy asparagus and it's rotten a day later, I'm going to just buy the smallest bunches of veggies I can find and then cook 'em up when I get home and make leftovers for the next night. I always operated under the notion that you buy the biggest bunch and it'll last longer. Uh uh, not at the market I go to! I've taken to calling it 'Borgens' after the rotten neighborhood market on the show 'Good Times' (if you get that out there in Oz :D)

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Onions. Here a 10lb bag is $3

O

·
0 Posts
Because of what's been happening at the market where I buy asparagus and it's rotten a day later, I'm going to just buy the smallest bunches of veggies I can find and then cook 'em up when I get home and make leftovers for the next night. I always operated under the notion that you buy the biggest bunch and it'll last longer. Uh uh, not at the market I go to! I've taken to calling it 'Borgens' after the rotten neighborhood market on the show 'Good Times' (if you get that out there in Oz :D)
yeah we get the less than quality standards markets here too... but they are coming under scrutiny. I will not buy rotten or damaged products. I always look for quality... why not I'm paying for it.
Our vegies and fruit here is more expensive (you guys have cheaper food there from what I can tell on the comparison tables). Our bananas are still sitting on $12.98 p/kg. So I think a lot of us here are used to looking for the best deals where we can. My SIL is fortunate enough to live near some market growers and she goes straight to them and gets whatever they may be selling just to save dollars. But not all of us get the opportunity to do that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Got vinegar, oil, garlic powder, and black pepper? That's salad dressing. Heads of lettuce are on sale this week at my grocery for about 50 cents a 2 pound head. That's a lot of salad.

·
Registered
137 Posts
When I was a kid I noticed dandelion greens imported from France in an upscale grocery. Very expensive. As an adult when I see a nice patch I pick a bunch and bring them home. Wilted in a saute pan with olive oil and perhaps a splash of balsamic vinegar or lemon juice plus salt and pepper they're delicious and much more nutritious than most grocery store greens. And free.

Cucumbers are low carb and pretty big for the buck. Diced with chili powder and lemon or lime juice they're pretty good too.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
It's been awhile, but I totally remember times when "sofa change" made all the difference in the world -- seriously!

Frozen veggies -- this may shock you, coming from me, but I don't follow the package directions. Do you have a microwave? (I know lots of folks who don't.) I use no water, just put them in a bowl, cover the top with plastic wrap and cook 'em for about 1-1/2 minutes, then brief zaps 'til they're steamed, but not re-cooked.

The stovetop variation calls for a tiny bit of water, then basically "stir-frying" until hot, but again, not re-cooked.

Both call for a lot more veggie-sitting than the package method, but seem to be faster.

I also like to buy loose bags rather than the blocks, if I can find 'em. Throwing bags on the counter to break the ice is most therapeutic.

When things are going a bit better, I've bought seeds and planted them in a wide planter-bowl for really fresh salad mix.

Wish I could really help. Please keep us posted!

·
Registered
633 Posts
I speghetti squash a a jar of ragu and youe set for a weeks worh of dinners.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts