The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard of this happening to other people, however today it happened at my house. My husband drives a 2007 Nissan Versa which we bought 'used' earlier this year. He enjoys driving it because he has a 30-45 min drive to work each way and it gets decent gas mileage.

We stopped at our local pharmacy this morning, came home and parked the car in our driveway. After OH had been outside mowing the grass for about an hour, he came in and said "the car window is broken". Since we live in the rural area it was unlikely that a passing car had thrown a stone into the windshield.

Sure enough - we both went outside and looked at it again and the back window was broken in a million pieces but still intact. He opened the front passenger door to view it from inside and when he 'gently' shut the door the window exploded 6 ft outward out the back of the car. Talk about surprised. :mad:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We think so because there were no cracks or chips in that window before it broke. It wasn't especially hot today, around 90 degrees F, but the humidity was really bad. So close that it made breathing difficult outside.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
When we lived in Kansas, our neighbor had an old riding mower that was missing the guard on the side. When he started cutting grass, if we were outside, we had to run for cover because the mower would throw gravel and rocks at us. He broke our car window, a window on our house and one of his windows in the 3 years that we lived there.

Our mower has a guard, but when Mr. Gizmo is cutting grass, I sometimes hear a small ping on one of the windows. I just thought... you said your husband had been cutting grass...

·
Registered
322 Posts
My wife was mowing a couple years ago (hey mrs green loves to mow the grass, so I ain't going to stop her). She came in after mowing and timidly asked me the following question. "if while i was mowing the lawn the mower through a rock and it hit your sports car would you be mad?" I asked her you didn't get hurt did you?
I went out and saw this huge softball sized dent in the door of my car

·
Registered
24 Posts
My wife was mowing a couple years ago (hey mrs green loves to mow the grass, so I ain't going to stop her). She came in after mowing and timidly asked me the following question. "if while i was mowing the lawn the mower through a rock and it hit your sports car would you be mad?" I asked her you didn't get hurt did you?
I went out and saw this huge softball sized dent in the door of my car
Yep, we had a front side car window smashed by being parked behind a lawn mover.:(

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
When we lived in Kansas, our neighbor had an old riding mower that was missing the guard on the side. When he started cutting grass, if we were outside, we had to run for cover because the mower would throw gravel and rocks at us. He broke our car window, a window on our house and one of his windows in the 3 years that we lived there.

Our mower has a guard, but when Mr. Gizmo is cutting grass, I sometimes hear a small ping on one of the windows. I just thought... you said your husband had been cutting grass...
That would be a logical conclusion except...my husband was cutting grass in the back yard and his car is parked in the front. We also have a neighbor like you had in Kansas. Our neighbor has a brand new Simplicity riding mower and he removed the guard. Now his mower throws stones and little pebbles that may be in the grass too. One day I walked to the end of our drive to our mailbox and he was cutting grass across the street. His mower threw a stone that hit me - I wasn't very happy but the neighbor still uses his mower w/o a guard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts