The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a craving for old fashioned brown pudding... Does something like a low carb brown pudding exist? Any ideas or suggestions? Many thx!

Sent from my iPad using Diabetes

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Never had brown pudding, but got curious what it was and see it's essentially brown sugar and flour - with some butter and milk.

There are online suggestions for brown sugar substitutes (methinks Shanny has one), and for the flour you could use almond meal with some flax meal, but it does look like a challenge.

For some things there just is no substitute, like my risotto. A month or so ago I talked a friend into ordering something with risotto so I could have a bite :) He did, and once I was nice and satiated I took a couple of bites and stole a strategy from someone here who said they then pretend their satiety is because of that last bite. It works in an odd way - maybe tricking yourself is easier after a glass of wine :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
741 Posts
that's an excellent idea...I may have to use my dorta lol

·
Registered
4,368 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the inputs! Quite frankly, what I know about baking and puddings is dangerous, but here in SA a brown pudding is rich dark sweet pudding, normally served hot with custard. The main ingredients are indeed flour, eggs, butter, sugar and sometimes apricot jam. There are many variations and I've never baked one myself. Maybe if I replace the flour with almond meal and the sugar with xylitol it may work...

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Here is a link to a recipe for traditional South African brown pudding, they called it Bruinpoeding.

If you want to try this recipe, I'm sure some of the cooks on this forum can help you transform it into low carb.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Gizmo.... Yes this is indeed brown pudding. There is also a traditional Cape brown pudding that has a deep brown colour similar to a sticky toffee pudding. I'm definately going try this with almond flour.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts