The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed a large bruise on my midsection where I injected Lantus last evening. The bruise which is very dark is about 1" in diameter. All this from a 1/4" needle??????

·
Registered
633 Posts
Insulation Tim said:
I just noticed a large bruise on my midsection where I injected Lantus last evening. The bruise which is very dark is about 1" in diameter. All this from a 1/4" needle??????
I switched from 5mm to 8mm needles to avoid this. The really short ones are only recommended for 20 units or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I switched from 5mm to 8mm needles to avoid this. The really short ones are only recommended for 20 units or less.

Good advice. I shoot 28 units and there is a raised welt afterwards.

Thanks.

·
Registered
633 Posts
If you are using the Solostar pens those are the sizes but if you use syringes get at at least a 3/8 inch needle.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sometimes I get a bruise too. I think maybe I hit a capillary or small vein. Sometimes, I have a raised area also. I take 28 units at 9pm. Once in a while it stings. When you say "midsection" do you mean above waist? I have been using my stomach only because the thighs don't seem to work as well but am worried about getting scar tissue in stomach. I am not coordinated enough to shoot the back on my arm. Lol

·
Registered
916 Posts

why is this? no one told me that. I use the 4mm. some 5mm I have left over. alth I do use just 18/20un lantus now.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Carolina said:
why is this? no one told me that. I use the 4mm. some 5mm I have left over. alth I do use just 18/20un lantus now.
Did anyone tell you to inject it slowly and to not pull the needle out right away.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Carolina said:
Almost forgot the length matters so it has room to disperse. It effects the absorption.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Almost forgot the length matters so it has room to disperse. It effects the absorption.

ok thanks. yes I inject slowly with a not cold pen. Plus I count to 10 sometimes 20. I was thinking that since the needle is so short was it going to the right place lol. No one told me anything about this size needle becsides the folks who sell it.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I use 4 mm, and only 8 units lantus, but I always get bruises. I dont have to be afraid to set injection twice in the same area, because the bruises tells me where not to inject.
The humalog I use in my stomach (also 4 mm) nearly never gives me bruises, and when I used Insulatard I didnt get bruises neither.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts