The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For lunch today I had 300ml homemade zucchini soup, a whole grain toasted cheese sandwich and a green kiwifruit and a small handful of almond.
2 hours after lunch my blood glucose was 14.9mm and I don't know why.
Can anyone shed any light on why this should be.

·
Administrator
2,669 Posts
Wow! That's surprisingly high. Here are my thoughts:
  • When I get a reading that's way out of the ordinary like that I take a second test as soon as I can. Many things can affect a reading: unclean test site, not enough blood taken, bad strip, low batteries in the meter, and so on. A second reading (or even a third if both are suspect) can confirm what's going on.
  • If you're stressed or getting sick (including inflammation or an infection), that can elevate your blood glucose levels, sometimes before you see other symptoms.
  • I don't know what your normal carbohydrate intake is. But depending on how the sandwich was prepared, you may have eaten more than 70 grams of carbohydrates at lunch. For those of us on ketogenic eating plans, that's like 2-3 days worth of carbs. That would show up in our blood glucose on that alone. i don't think you're eating keto, though, are you?
  • What was your reading before breakfast or after?

Of course, more than one of these factors may have combined. What does your review of these tell you?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply. Sometimes this 'just happens' to me for no apparent reason and will continue for a few days and then just as quickly as the 'highs' appear they disappear and it's all back to normal for me.
I find diabetes is a most frustrating disease but I am very fortunate for after having it for 30 years I am one of the lucky ones and to date have no bad side affects from it.

·
Administrator
2,669 Posts
That is an enviable track record, bundyanne. I hope the highs go away quickly. I hope I wasn't "mansplaining" too much, but your post may help other people who don't have your level of experience and ... well, I know sometimes I don't see what's right in front of me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh no, I am happy to receive any explanations I can get as sometimes I just don't know why things happen and if someone has an answer then I am continuing to learn.
I have learnt some much for chatting to other diabetic friends and it's good to know i am not the only one having unexplained problems at times.
One thing I have learnt is that we are all individuals and none of us fit 'the book' perfectly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That is definitely true. I used my test meter constantly before and after meals finding out which foods gave me spikes in sugar and which did not. Long process but I've got it figured out pretty well. Most starches are out for me which at first was difficult but you get used to it. Finding alternatives to breads helped.
Another thing I've done is intermittent fasting. I eat breakfast at 10 am and dinner at 5 pm with maybe a low sugar yogurt or an apple midday. After 5 I have nothing else to eat. That has lowered my sugar count in the mornings by 20 points on the meter. Plus I lost over 40 pounds in about a year.
This is reversible, with good diet choices, fasting ( if it suits you) and exercise ( walking ) all help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts