The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today morning I experienced some burning and pain after injecting my Apidra shot. Burning stayed whole day though the pain subsided. I applied a cold compress after waiting for half an hour. This never happened before and I've been taking insulin since nearly 18yrs..:confused:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Sometimes I think I rush and don't let the alcohol dry on my skin when I prep for the injection. I think the needle grabs some of this and takes it in with the shot. Also, I don't know about your insulin but I know that Lantus sometimes burns going in. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Lantus burns me too sometimes. There are times as well that I get a little blood after the injection.
:rolleyes:

Sometimes I think I rush and don't let the alcohol dry on my skin when I prep for the injection. I think the needle grabs some of this and takes it in with the shot. Also, I don't know about your insulin but I know that Lantus sometimes burns going in. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Some of you talk about using alcohol in preparation for an injection. What is that all about? I have been diabetic for 20 years and never came across that.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Some of you talk about using alcohol in preparation for an injection. What is that all about? I have been diabetic for 20 years and never came across that.
I always prep my skin with an alcohol swab before an injection.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alcohol swabbing used to sterilize the injecting site. I am using Apidra, Lantus never had any probs for me, but anything has a first time I guess.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I don't swab before an injection....nobody ever told me I needed to. I do swab or at the least wash my hands well before I test though.

G

·
I've had the stinging when injecting and I reckon I can feel the Lantus going in more than the Apidra. I also have the bleeding every now and then (usually when I'm in a hurry or I'm out somewhere which is annoying).... and sometimes I get concerned whether that means insulin is leaking out at that point. I've never been told to swab either... when I was shown how to inject it was never mentioned. I always wash my hands before injecting and after. I wash my hands a lot generally anyhow, especially around others as I'm conscious of not picking up more bugs... I've had more than my fair share.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had problems with stinging in the past but resolved it by changing the length of the needles. If they are too short, it can cause issues. There are various lengths available and I currently use 8mm.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Iam also thinking its length of the needle. I shouldl try for longer ones may be. I too bleed when I inject in hurry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts