The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I'm sure many of you read my post re: liver dump, exercise and testing and I wanted to post a weird follow-up to that...

FYI, for the past three days I've changed from my regular two 20-25 minutes a day easy/moderate exercise sessions to two MUCH more intense sessions, anywhere from 30-60 minutes each.

I posted in the above-mentioned thread that I had a weird experience of only moving from a 7.3 (131) to a 7.1 (128) in a one-hour span after exercise, which I thought a bit odd, and a very low reduction in BG for me in that time-span. (Just fyi, when I test and get an unexpected number, I wash again and re-test to confirm.)

Well, weirdness continues, and I now don't think I dropped that little (only 0.2 points), I think I dropped considerably more, and then re-dumped to take me back up. The reason I think that is - in the past three days it's happened SEVERAL times!

Today was a perfect example:

0700hrs BG of 5.6. Breakfast, ~500 calories with about 29g total (not net) Carb.
1000hrs BG of 6.9. Shortly after ate a chicken-salad wrap, 290 calories, 14g total Carb.
1130hrs Chest and Tricep workout, (weight training) fairly intense for 30 minutes.
1215hrs Spin Bike, 1/2 hour.
1300hrs Smoothie (fresh Pineapple, Orange, Strawberry, Whey) 300 calories, 45g total Carb
1400hrs BG of 7.6 (no surprise considering the fruit 1hr eariler)
1630hrs BG of 6.4, Cheeseburger in lettuce wrap, ~400 calories, 2g total carb
1830hrs BG of 5.1 (tested twice, both similar, averaged the numbers)
1945hrs BG of 6.4 <--- Liver Dump (tested twice, identical #'s) Dinner was fajitas on lettuce. 400 calories, 11g total carb.
2000hrs Spin Bike, mostly moderate with some intense intervals. 45 minutes. Felt at least one low in there, if not two.
20:50hrs BG of 6.4 (My body really likes to put me around the mid 6's when I get low....)

So in a nutshell, between my 1630hrs low-carb meal and my 1830hrs reading I did a 2-hr post prandial DROP from 6.4 (115) to 5.1 (92). Then I obviously dropped enough from the 5.1 reading to cause another spike back up to 6.4...

Is is NORMAL to drop this fast while exercising more? I noticed a similar trend yesterday - I didn't test as much yesterday but I did drop from 6.8 2hrs post lunch to a 4.9 only an hour later before my afternoon snack...

Fast drops, it seems... I don't hypo, but should I burn glucose that fast? I used to be able to go 4hrs between meals without a liver dump, now I'm dropping faster it seems...

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
still dropping fast ...

OK, just re-tested ... it's now 2215hrs, which is exactly 2 hours after finishing my dinner. For my 2hr post prandial instead of going up somewhat, I've DROPPED from a pre-dinner 6.4 (115) to 2-hr post of 5.7 (103), which is the higher of two similar numbers...

So yeah, I'm definitely dropping fast ATM... I'd better have some serious weight loss associated with this crazy metabolic rate.

Oh, and I just made a protein shake because I obviously could use a couple extra calories today... 180 calories, 16g total carb... I've got one more meal left to eat later, about 400 calories still to consume...

For those wondering, I'm at just under 120g of total (not net) carb today...

·
Registered
800 Posts
As someone who does do intense exercise and charts it against blood sugar, yes it is perfectly normal to use up blood glucose and then have a dump. It can even happen in short amounts of time depending on your intensity of exercise.

Running or cycling intervals has amazing results. I'd go out straight after the lunchtime after meal test of 120mg/dl, spend 30 mins doing intervals and come in at 76mg/dl.

I'd say that your liver is being efficient, it will act to keep your blood sugar up since it is obviously not compromised (as seen by the data you've given).

A normal person (non diabetic) is less than 140mg/dl (7.7) after 1 hour and 120mg/dl (6.6) after 2 hours. To avoid complications in later life it is best to aim for normal blood sugar even though you are diabetic.

You only need to eat more carbs daily if your morning fasting number is below 70mg/dl (3.9), eat less carbs if your morning number is greater than 99mg/dl (5.5 on your readings).

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I use to do very intense exercise workouts 1-2 hours but had to stop because I was spiking too high, usually 60-80 points. I now try to do less intense exercise or just walk. Liver dumps are an animal all to themselves. They are very hard to predict. I find the best way to prevent them is to reduce the glycogen stores in the liver. That way there is less glycogen to convert to glucose. I have found by tweaking my diet I have been able to prevent a lot of these spikes during the day. One thing is I have to eat fat. Those meals I don't eat fat I will get more spikes. I still get the spikes but they are only 10 points or so as opposed to 60-80 like before. I really think this is a natural phenomenom of our body. Our body wants to keep us alive, so that is why it dumps glucose. In non D's their insulin then kicks in to neutralise the glucose. But most of us don't have great insulin production or it is slow to react, so we get spikes.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
OK, I'm sure many of you read my post re: liver dump, exercise and testing and I wanted to post a weird follow-up to that...

FYI, for the past three days I've changed from my regular two 20-25 minutes a day easy/moderate exercise sessions to two MUCH more intense sessions, anywhere from 30-60 minutes each.

I posted in the above-mentioned thread that I had a weird experience of only moving from a 7.3 (131) to a 7.1 (128) in a one-hour span after exercise, which I thought a bit odd, and a very low reduction in BG for me in that time-span. (Just fyi, when I test and get an unexpected number, I wash again and re-test to confirm.)

Well, weirdness continues, and I now don't think I dropped that little (only 0.2 points), I think I dropped considerably more, and then re-dumped to take me back up. The reason I think that is - in the past three days it's happened SEVERAL times!

Today was a perfect example:

0700hrs BG of 5.6. Breakfast, ~500 calories with about 29g total (not net) Carb.
1000hrs BG of 6.9. Shortly after ate a chicken-salad wrap, 290 calories, 14g total Carb.
1130hrs Chest and Tricep workout, (weight training) fairly intense for 30 minutes.
1215hrs Spin Bike, 1/2 hour.
1300hrs Smoothie (fresh Pineapple, Orange, Strawberry, Whey) 300 calories, 45g total Carb
1400hrs BG of 7.6 (no surprise considering the fruit 1hr eariler)
1630hrs BG of 6.4, Cheeseburger in lettuce wrap, ~400 calories, 2g total carb
1830hrs BG of 5.1 (tested twice, both similar, averaged the numbers)
1945hrs BG of 6.4 <--- Liver Dump (tested twice, identical #'s) Dinner was fajitas on lettuce. 400 calories, 11g total carb.
2000hrs Spin Bike, mostly moderate with some intense intervals. 45 minutes. Felt at least one low in there, if not two.
20:50hrs BG of 6.4 (My body really likes to put me around the mid 6's when I get low....)

So in a nutshell, between my 1630hrs low-carb meal and my 1830hrs reading I did a 2-hr post prandial DROP from 6.4 (115) to 5.1 (92). Then I obviously dropped enough from the 5.1 reading to cause another spike back up to 6.4...

Is is NORMAL to drop this fast while exercising more? I noticed a similar trend yesterday - I didn't test as much yesterday but I did drop from 6.8 2hrs post lunch to a 4.9 only an hour later before my afternoon snack...

Fast drops, it seems... I don't hypo, but should I burn glucose that fast? I used to be able to go 4hrs between meals without a liver dump, now I'm dropping faster it seems...
You are doing wonderful and learning a lot in between!

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
I have found by tweaking my diet I have been able to prevent a lot of these spikes during the day. One thing is I have to eat fat.
I've read somewhere the fundamentals of your diet but can't now find. I recall you saying you had to eat fat but restricted protein. Can you say again your diet basics or link me to your post where you did?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, it's the day after and I'm still burning fast. Woke up with a BG of 5.4 (97) and ate breakfast, which included 27g of total (not net) carb. One hour spike was 7.9 (142) ...
Two hour post-prandial was 6.3 (113)
Three hour was 5.0 (90)
Three hours and 20 minutes, (pre-meal test) was 6.7, so I guess I went low enough to cause a dump. I'm pretty sure I dump once I'm under 4.5 (81)

Basically I'm dropping 3.5 points (over 60 on the US scale) in just over three hours right today, and I haven't exercised since last night.

Today I'm going to just cycle easy, and avoid the intense/interval workouts.

And I think I might switch to eating smaller meals every couple of hours, at least on days where I do kick-up the intensity of the exercise.

·
Registered
221 Posts
may be your intense workouts are spiking you..eat some carb at your regular intervals till midafternoon and no more after that,but follow up with protein and a little fat..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts