The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 44-year-old Wisconsin law says only butter, not margarine, can be served in restaurants. Butter must also be served to students, patients and inmates at state institutions. However, the law mght soon be repealed.

In 1895, there was a law that banned the sale of margarine in the state until it was repealed in 1967. It would be interesting to know if/how the medical stats differed in Wisconsin compared to other states during the time the law was in effect.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I think it should be outlawed everywhere. It is just bad food. Margerine that is.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I remember when everyone ate butter. Then margerine came along with all the marketing. Butter became evil. I just rediscoverd it a few years ago. I wonder how many people's health we have ruined with margerine.

Reactions: foxl

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I've fallen for lots of hype in my life, but somehow the margarine one never worked on me. Always hated it because it had no taste, and since all I cared about was calories and fat, and there wasn't any difference, I never understood why I should eat that yellow tasteless stuff. So I didn't.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
My earliest memory of margarine was watching my g'mother mix the yellow powder into the lard type stuff (mid-40's) and being ill and unwilling to eat it. My Dad and Mother ate it, but I held out for real butter, and since I was very thin, she let me have one stick at a time of it (fussing the whole time about the price!). Once I was away from home, I never used margarine except for baking.

My other g'mother had a cow and we made our own from the cream!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Butter (smör) is absolutely evil here in Sweden. Margarine with its Omega 3s and 6s rules the roost which is kind of ironic considering how many Swedes "claim" to follow a LCHF diet.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I grew up with margarine -- it was cheaper and easier to cook with. When I was little, the smell of real butter in a skillet made my stomach turn! I really believed that sandwiches were supposed to taste like salted plastic.

Ummmm ... I learned, eventually. Our kid grew up with the real deal.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I was a kid, my parents used margarine because it was cheaper than butter, so every school day I would look forward to school lunch because the slice of bread with real butter tasted so wonderful.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My parents bought margarine too, because it was cheaper. But my grandparents still kept dairy cows & had milk/cream/butter all the time. Apparently my affinity for real butter became known early on, because Grandma would always give me a pound of butter for my birthday - carefully wrapped in wax paper & then in foil. (what else was she gonna do? She had 45 grandchildren . . . I dunno WHAT the other 44 got for their birthdays!) Do you think for one minute that I shared my "gold"?! Never! I think I didn't even use it up on other food items tho' I dearly loved toast . . . I'd just go into the fridge & slice off a little sliver & let it melt on my tongue.

That may have had something to do with me buying raw milk when the kids were small, and raising them on the real thing too.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My earliest memory of margarine was watching my g'mother mix the yellow powder into the lard type stuff (mid-40's)
This will certainly date me, but... it took a lot of blending with a fork to get the yellow (orange?) powder mixed in well, so us 4 kids would take turns stirring.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I grew up in the '80s. I remember my mother and grandmother only using real butter. My mother refused to buy low-fat anything, like salad dressings or mayonnaise. Although she's totally on board with reducing fat intake, she'd rather have less of the "real thing" than more of the "fake stuff."

Because I am on a LC diet, I use any excuse to add butter to my meals. I saute my vegetables in butter. Why not, I say!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Butter (smör) is absolutely evil here in Sweden. Margarine with its Omega 3s and 6s rules the roost which is kind of ironic considering how many Swedes "claim" to follow a LCHF diet.
I understood that there was a butter shortage in Sweden due to the high demand?

The Diet Doctor - Butter shortage in Sweden...

---

I also grew up during the big push for margarine but also never really liked the taste... I have always preferred butter... even before I knew how much better it is for me!

---

I'd highly recommend reading Michael Pollan's NY Times article Unhappy Meals... for a discussion on the rise of nutritionism and the move away from real food.

:canada:

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I'm glad you mentioned the shortage of butter in Sweden. I watched a video a week or so ago and the presenter mentioned the shortage. What's the deal? Is it a change and the manufacturers of butter having problems catching production up?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I grew up on margarine too primarily because it was cheaper.. I think maybe thats why as an adult I would never butter my bread or rolls. But I continued using it as an adult because I never knew any different.

Only when I met my husband 12 years ago did I start using the real thing and havent looked back since.

Reactions: Patdart and Shanny
1 - 16 of 16 Posts