The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to save as much money as possible on test strips. I find some websites offer strips marked (retail) and strips marked (mail order) for half the price. Can anyone tell me the difference? Do the mail order ones still work?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I would like to save as much money as possible on test strips. I find some websites offer strips marked (retail) and strips marked (mail order) for half the price. Can anyone tell me the difference? Do the mail order ones still work?
It is just different packaging. IMO, this is just a way for meter companies to be able to charge insurance companies a different price. Just be careful and make sure you are buying test strips that have not expired. You can even buy strips off ebay, but watch the expiration dates. One of the best places to buy strips is from Diabetic Supplies Online | Diabetes Testing Supplies & Products | American Diabetes Wholesale.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome aboard, dtomroy . . . I'm on limited income & have used the Walmart ReliOn meter/strips since my diagnosis. I've tested it against the lab every time I've had blood work ordered & it's plenty accurate. The meter costs less than $10, and 100 strips costs $39.95. I haven't even asked my doc for a prescription for strips, because that gets me into the hassle of how few Medicare will pay for, and I'd rather make my own decision about how often I need to test.

·
Registered
930 Posts
i just bought a new simple riteaid with 100 strips locally to replace my accu-chek "pool of blood" advantage for $75 it's fantastic compared to my old accu-chek. i also ordered a $20 glucose meter from Walmart but it is still in the mail, i too need a really cheap meter in that i have been doing a lot of experimental testing, like 6 to 12 strips a day. i also saw some good deals on Amazon

ColaJim

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
You may not edit your posts

i also ordered a $20 glucose meter with 50 strips included from Walmart but it is still in the mail, i too need a really cheap meter in that i have been doing a lot of experimental testing, like 6 to 12 strips a day
Hi ColaJim! There are a couple of really good diabetes supply websites that carry some really inexpensive test strips. Some are even cheaper than Walmart. Check out Diabetic Supplies Online | Diabetes Testing Supplies & Products | American Diabetes Wholesale and Total Diabetes Supply - Discount Diabetes Supplies Online - Free Shipping Over $99 and OneTouch, Ascensia, Accu-Chek, Test Strips, Syringes, Diabetic Supplies - HealthWarehouse.com. Happy window shopping! :D

G

·
Test Strips are like Computers..!

As "BreezeOnBy" said: just different packaging.

I realize my post has nothing to do with "test strips", but.. in the past when I was building "computers" I'd go to computer shows, purchase all my components and build various units.

I would get a Mitsumi 3.5" floppy drive (with the manufactures 1 year guarantee) for $4.95. It came to the wholesaler in bulk boxes of 50.. and was sold without the usual fancy "Big Box Store Brand Name" and directions which would cost those who didn't know.. $24.95 to $34.95.

Most of the parts were sold the same way. Motherboards had instructions included.. but things like CD, DVD, Hard Drives, Sound and Video cards, etc., etc. just came in plain, no frills paper/cardboard boxes.

Way back then I could build a really fast 'puter for about a "buck and a half".. which under normal retail store price was some where in the price range of $600 - $800.

The half price test strips are basically the same thing. Just watch out to insure they're still good and haven't expired.

Breeze 2 User

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm on limited income & have used the Walmart ReliOn meter/strips since my diagnosis. I've tested it against the lab every time I've had blood work ordered & it's plenty accurate. The meter costs less than $10, and 100 strips costs $39.95.
That's the best price for either of those that I've ever heard of. As soon as my strips run out I'll probably get both of those.

Thank you.

Money certainly is tight, but even if it wasn't I hope I'd still be cheap :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
with most strips theres a discount card

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I went to my local Walmart and bought the Relion meter for #9. The Relion strips cost about $40 for 100.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
I use the freestyle lite kit. My end gave me the kit back in feburary and gave me a bunch of strips at the same time.

With the kit came the freestyle lite saving card. Using the card lowers my monthly strips scrip from $40 to $15

Well worth looking into imo if you have insurance

Reactions: Msfranxie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi dtomroy -

As stated in a previous post, the difference between the retail and mail order prices are often due to a Medicare issue and whether you will have the company automatically bill Medicare for your strips. Since you are trying to save money, there are a handful of websites out there which sell very affordable test strips and meters. Companies like Diatic Medical, and Diabetic Express to name a couple that haven't already been talked about previously.

There are some test strips out there that cost less than $12 / box of 50, like the Omnis Embrace test strips, with the meter being around $17. Obviously the test strips are the most costly item in the long run, so sometimes it's better to pay a little more for the meter if you're getting a great price on strips.

Also, never hesitate to call these companies and ask if you can get a meter for free. Sometimes they can do that if you order a certain amount of test strips.

Hope that helps!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.