The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me why caffeine is bad for diabetics? They tell me to stop the dead / reduce but I love my coffee.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I have cut way back after finding that it overstimulates my adrenals and thus contributes to next day's D phenom. But quit? HAH. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Carol.. ya! I am really being good at watching carb intake but There's a couple crutches that I just wont give up ... at least completely.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Stimulates adrenals, thereby increasing dawn phenomenon, morning insulin resistance and therefore blood sugar increase (which is supposed to be caused by growth hormone, NOT adrenaline .... so I do not know!).

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Stimulates adrenals, thereby increasing dawn phenomenon, morning insulin resistance and therefore blood sugar increase (which is supposed to be caused by growth hormone, NOT adrenaline .... so I do not know!).
Now I'm REALLY glad I've backed off to decaf! ;)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think there may be a small subset of diabetics that may be sensitive to caffeine but for most of us there is no problem. I routinely drink 3-4 cups of black coffee and a couple of diet caffenated sodas with no problems with DP. If I do get a jump over 100, it is usually caused by too much exercise or too many carbs.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Now I've learned something new.

I thought the caffeine issue was largely down to its impact on blood pressure and I've been cut back by my food gendarme on that basis.

So it works it way round to blood glucose as well?? :mad: D...m :(, I can't stand decaf!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I find it depends on the person - some are able to be fine with a few cups of coffee daily, others simply not.

I've never been a coffee or tea drinker - I've usually only found my caffeine in Diet Coke ... When I started doing lots of research on caffeine and diabetics, I too decided to try dropping it.

And yes, my numbers improved slightly when I switched to caffeine-free Diet Coke. But it took close to a week before it was a noticeable trend for me. So don't expect better numbers the day after quitting... =)

I think it's something we need to test individually - give up or dramatically-reduce caffeine intake for a couple weeks... if there's a noticeable improvement trend in your numbers - you'll know what's best for you.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I must admit it -I really loves my coffee.
During the day I usually have 3 or 4 cups of coffee with cream, and in the evening I just love to have a cup of green tea or herb tea.
None of them spike me, and they are my luxury, and I wont stop having them.....

Reactions: Carolina

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I've been using a fake sugar under the brand name Canderel (aspartame) here but, while the taste is better than the cheaper Hermestas (saccharin) brand, it still had an aftertaste. I just found a supplier of xylitol and used it for my coffee this morning and man, that is good stuff. Too bad it's so expensive!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Xylitol IS good stuff . . . I've been mixing it with cinnamon & keep it in a shaker to make cinnamon toast with Optimist's Crackers! heheh! This goes very nicely with morning coffee too! =)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts