The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to start eating cage free eggs until I saw that the price was $4.16 per dozen. Is this the right price for cage free eggs?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Sounds about right but... Are these in the grocery store?

If so, I would recommend finding someone local to you who sells eggs from their chickens... they usually run anywhere between $2.50-$4 per dozen and are much better than any eggs sold in the store.

localharvest.com is a good place to start to find some

The issue with eggs from the grocery store is that they have very loose regulations... cage free doesn't mean what you think it means... they aren't kept crammed into cages, no, but there are still thousands of birds crammed into a building and they never see outside. It's a "technicality."

The best eggs are those from a local farm or backyard chicken owner who sells their eggs and you can see how their chickens are treated.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds about right but... Are these in the grocery store?

If so, I would recommend finding someone local to you who sells eggs from their chickens... they usually run anywhere between $2.50-$4 per dozen and are much better than any eggs sold in the store.

localharvest.com is a good place to start to find some

The issue with eggs from the grocery store is that they have very loose regulations... cage free doesn't mean what you think it means... they aren't kept crammed into cages, no, but there are still thousands of birds crammed into a building and they never see outside. It's a "technicality."

The best eggs are those from a local farm or backyard chicken owner who sells their eggs and you can see how their chickens are treated.
Yes, the eggs I was talking about were in the grocery. Thanks for the information on how to buy eggs. I will be looking! :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a tangent :) I get a little passionate about eggs. LOL

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I can buy them at Giant for about $2.99 a dozen for cage free. Lately I have found them at Costco for about $5.79 for 2 dozen brown, cage free eggs. I think the price you quoted is high. Check out some different sources. I switched to cage free and range free meats about 8 months ago and have seen a huge difference in my health. I think it is more about the added hormones and antibiotics for me. I don't see a lot of those huge bg spikes I used to get all the time. Before I did cage free I bought those Omega 3 eggs which were pricey too. So it is not that much more, I think they are worth it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
"The best eggs are those from a local farm or backyard chicken owner who sells their eggs and you can see how their chickens are treated."

I thought the best chicken egg for consumption are those came from big farms, they have sufficient “animal care technician” which constantly monitoring it health and for the consumer too. Now I have my doubts. You have a points there. Thank you for posting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts