Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Calling all night owls and insomniacs!!!

6K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  lia 
#1 ·
Good morning everyone! I know Shanny lurks around here late at night and early morning. I wish I didn't have insomnia and was in bed asleep. Count your blessings when you fall fast asleep every night!:)

#2 ·
Boy that is so true . . . it does me no good whatever to go to bed if I'm not sleepy - I just toss & turn. There are occasional nights that I don't GET sleepy, and wind up staying up all night. Once I start nodding off & get to bed, I can sleep for six-eight hours & wake up rested, but it's the getting to the drowsy stage that seems to take forever.

#4 ·
Shanny, do you have Sleep Apnea? There are many diabetics with that problem and you can be tested to see if you have it. There is a machine that is used to enable people with that problem to sleep!!!

#8 ·
haha, yeah I'm not Micheal Jacksoning it or anything... I just fall asleep easily most nights, if not there is probably something on my mind...

Tonight I'm just fascinated reading abut geodes, first I started thinking about sequoias so I researched them some then I thought about geode so I researched them... ah the internet, learn anything you want 24/7 no overdue book fees either =)

#9 ·
#14 ·
One of my favorite hobbies is collecting geodes, amethyst, crystal and other beautiful stones. I have gone to shows where they are sold. I pick the ones that cost around $100 each and limit myself to one purchase per year. I always see some very wonderful ones that are so big and beautiful, but they are way out of my price range. The ones I have look so pretty on shelves and places scattered throughout our house.

#15 ·
I'm lovin them, I always have liked the look of them growing up and just last night remembered them on some weird tangents. Turns out my wife had never heard or seen one before this morning. So I think I am definitely going to get myself one. I really like the amethyst ones. Those are really nice looking. I love that super expensive one more then anything because of the shape and multiple openings... so may are just round or tall oval like... which isn't all that interesting...

G
#16 ·
Looks Like I Fit Right In..!!

I've always been a "Night Owl".. especially that my better half (as a Nurse), works a 12 hour shift from 7p - 7a three shifts a week. My usual hours are bed @ 2a or so.. and sleep until 10a (give or take).

I mean.. what else is there to do but to talk to you guys at this time at night. So I guess I'm not so weird after all. On second thought don't ask Mrs. Breeze 2 or she might tell you differently! ;) :D

Breeze 2 User

#17 ·
Do We Have Insomnia Tonight?

I see alot of familiar faces online......how many members have insomnia? How many night owls? I am a combo! :D

#18 ·
im usually up at this time because unfortunately i have to eat a third meal each day. i really dont care for eating and usually feel guilt ridden after eating. sad, i know

#23 ·
You sleep in barns in the US? :)

#20 ·
It's not that late here.. 11:30. For 50 years I could just go to bed at any reasonable hour and 5 minutes later I was asleep.. but for the last 3 years I don't even try until at least midnight, usually it's more like 1am and I have to get up for work in the morning. I know it's bad but I can't seem to change it so I run on about 5.5 hours per night during the week and 7 hours per night on the weekend. Hubby works evenings and doesn't get home until 3 or 4am. I probably have apnea.. tonight at dinner I promised my sister (also a diabetic and has apnea) that in a year or so I'll get checked. I don't think I can handle new diabetes and new apnea at the same time.

#21 ·
Wink, just throwing out my 2 cents....but sleep deprivation can make your BG #s higher. You might want to think about the sleep study sooner rather than later. I have gone through 2 studies and have had a CPAP for several years...it's really not stressful.

#29 ·
Just a word of caution. Many people hate having to sleep with a face mask. I have a CPAP machine, but the initial few minutes of putting it on the face, makes me want to take it off and then there are the minor adjustments you have to make to prevent the air hissing into your eyes. So before anyone is planning to buy it, try it out first and see if it really suits you, before you invest in the machine. In the UK NHS system, it is free, so I did not trial it first. If your occupation demands it [like long distance drivers, train drivers etc], then I suppose you really have no choice.

#30 ·
And expanding on Nagesh's thoughts . . . replace your mask at regular intervals. They do begin to wear out & not seal so well, requiring tightening of the headgear which can be problematic if you tighten it too much. Just replace the mask a coupla times a year.

#31 ·
My daughter can't use hers. She tried really hard for several months to get used to it but she just couldn't. When she did get to sleep with it on she would pull at it in her sleep and rip it off - her husband would wake up and make her put it back on. She also had her first and only panic attack when they tried to do the sleep study the first time. The second time she slept for a total of about 30 min. The whole apnea thing has just been really hard for her and she gave up. That's probably why I'm reluctant to walk into that mine field. To be fair, my sister has had no problems and is glad to have hers and my mother is in the middle - it annoys her sometimes but overall she considers it a good thing. Maybe I'll only wait a couple of months.. but not right now.

#32 ·
I'll say this much - having all those leads glued to my head was interesting, to say the least. I was very surprised to find that I'd actually slept much at all during my recent study. And if I were at all claustrophobic, I'd have been a goner, since I was on CPAP during the study too - for titration - so the mask went on over all the wires!

I'm thinking about trying the nose pillows & see how I do with those, since I need a new mask right now anyhow.

My heart goes out to your daughter, Vicky. And I hope you'll have a better experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.