The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they dangerous to diabetics? I got a nagging one on my foot and it's starting to hurt a bit.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
PC76, I don't know if a callus is dangerous for a diabetic, but I do know it is extremely important to take great care of your feet because of complications from diabetes, such as neuropathy or poor circulation. I get a pedicure at least once a month to have my nails trimmed and have my feet scraped and grated to keep the callus or build up of tough skin to a minimum. My feet are in really great shape and I plan to keep it that way! Be sure to go to a VERY reputable place that does pedicures and be sure they know you are a diabetic. Nails should be trimmed across, not angled and be sure you have great feeling in your feet before going. If I were you, I would make an appointment with a podiatrist to have your feet tested. Diabetics should do this at least once a year. And be sure not to walk around barefoot ever! That is extremely important. Also, be sure to wear shoes that are very comfortable and don't pinch your feet or are too tight or too big. I've learned to be kind to my feet. Good Luck!

Reactions: Carolina

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went to a podiatrist a few months ago, he sid I had normal circulation. I do scrape them with my wife pumice scraper. Maybe I should start going to the spa for pedicures, that is a good idea. I tend to my feet as much as possible.

This one callus is bugging me though, maybe it's just on my mind so I pay attention more to it, who knows.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have been a nail tech for the past 20 yrs & I can tell you to go to a pedicurist who knows about diabetes foot care.

DO NOT go to a cheap walkin discount place!!! :eek::eek:

I go to a friend of mine who specializes in it. She knows what to do & what to look for. Its wellworth the money to be safe then sorry.

actually when I feel a callus or my heels are in rough shape, I use petrolium jelly and wrap in plastic over night & in a short time they are gone & soft.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Yep, I've done the petroleum jelly bit and wrapped, and I've done the wax dips on them in the past. I do not go to a walkin place for pedicure; I go to a reputable salon that does a fantastic job. And yes Paul, it is well worth going for those pedicures; they are both healthy for you as a diabetic, and they are soooooo relaxing! I just love getting my pedicures. Makes me feel great about my feet too.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been before, my wife brought me, it was really cool. My chair shook and the foot bath, it was really nice, shhhh.....don't tell anyone.

But yeah, I will definately make it apart of my routine, it can't hurt.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just a thought but a plantar wart is often characterized by a large callus which develops a crack in it that keeps getting bigger. Had a bad cracked foot due to plantar wart myself years ago and the callus and virus were all removed following a few soaks in a dilute formaldehyde solution. It's easy to pick up the virus in public shower, and pool areas, hospitals, etc.

I suggest a podiatrist to sort it out.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
I realize this is an old thread but wanted to ask if while treating a plantar wart with an OTC remover, like compound w, if it could raise BG.

It seems to me like it could since a wart is basically an HPV infection and infections can raise BGs.

Am I off base?

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I don't think you are off base David. I've had some warts on my elbow and the front of my left hand that I kept treating, but they kept coming back. As I am aware that warts are a virus, I actually just let it go and the ones on the elbow are now gone and the one on my hand is just about gone.

I don't know if this virus caused my bg's to be higher, but it would be something to consider since your body has to fight that virus to rid itself, and anytime the body has to fight a virus or infection it can affect your bg's.

Hope this helped.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
naynay said:
I don't think you are off base David. I've had some warts on my elbow and the front of my left hand that I kept treating, but they kept coming back. As I am aware that warts are a virus, I actually just let it go and the ones on the elbow are now gone and the one on my hand is just about gone.

I don't know if this virus caused my bg's to be higher, but it would be something to consider since your body has to fight that virus to rid itself, and anytime the body has to fight a virus or infection it can affect your bg's.

Hope this helped.
That was exactly what I was thinking. Guess I just wanted affirmation.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

1 - 10 of 10 Posts