The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This article just appeared in The Scientist, a longer one in Cell Metabolism, summary in Science Magazine.
http://www.the-scientist.com//?arti...itle/Periodic-Fasting-Improves-Rodent-Health/
It describes limiting calories to 1090 the first day then 750 for 4 days, then eating normally. Repeat monthly. Good results with many biomarkers.
I've just been doing a real food version of the Newcastle Diet (protein shakes & low carb veggies=800 cal/day) and my fasting blood sugar is down from my "normal" 170 to between 103 and 115. This happened within a week. And from the Science article, "Only three rounds of alternating between the diet and normal eating appeared to improve the participants’ physical condition, reducing blood glucose, trimming abdominal fat, and cutting levels of a protein associated with a higher risk of cardiovascular disease. " I wish I had access to Cell Metabolism!

Also, I found following the 800 cal real food version to be far less onerous than I'd thought because, I suspect, I was already eating LCHF and was keto-adapted.

·
Registered
970 Posts
nd from the Science article, "Only three rounds of alternating between the diet and normal eating appeared to improve the participants’ physical condition, reducing blood glucose, trimming abdominal fat, and cutting levels of a protein associated with a higher risk of cardiovascular disease. "
I find the reference to "normal eating" disturbing.

If there is one thing which we diabetics have ample proof of, it's the fact that "normal eating" is not for us.

It seems like an elaborate scheme to do what our regular LCHF way of eating does, without all the intellectual gymnastics.

I would be willing to bet that this was grant-supported, and research follows the money, these days.

Reactions: silvertiger

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"normal" eating

By eating normally, I will be going back to low carb high fat but without the calorie restriction. I personally don't expect ever to go back to any quantity of bread, pasta, etc. So I'm eager to see if limiting in this way lets my FBG remain at a near normal level. Full LCHF didn't do this for me.

·
Premium Member
9,420 Posts
It sounds a bit like a fast. And not too much difference in the calories to a "fat fast" which some here have done. If it works for you then I wish you well

Out of curiosity, what do you plan to eat for your restricted calories?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What

I ate a lot of fish:
Breakfast: salmon & various white fish, in many forms including as a salmon salad made with real mayo (tried the lite stuff that I normally shun, just to save the calories, and it wasn't worth it. Threw it out.) or 2% plain yogurt with Truvia, cinnamon & berries or a couple of eggs cooked with no or little fat.
Lunch: leftovers from dinner & cooked veggie or a salad with added fish, chicken, whatever.
Dinner: fish or other meat, cooked veggie, salad.
On the salads (come combo of lettuce, cucumber, celery, onion, pepper, tomato) I drizzled, sparingly, olive oil & lemon or vinegar. I was very careful with portion sizes of the protein - 3 oz.
Also I used GG Bran Crispbread once or twice a day, a low carb cracker with great potential to promote "regularity."
For the time being, I virtually eliminated cheese & nuts, my normal snacks. If I really needed a snack, it was full fat cottage cheese, but only a 3-4 teaspoons.

·
Registered
800 Posts
You cut down on the carbs and calories that you ate, and your fasting BG went down to something that I would still consider above normal. I'm really not seeing a benefit to starving your body to achieve this when you can eat LCHF and get better results without compromising your metabolic rate.

LCHF fasting numbers John : 80s, Me: 70s and we're not a rat study...unlike the link.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
This article just appeared in

"and my fasting blood sugar is down from my "normal" 170 to between 103 and 115. This happened within a week."

When I started following the Low Carb High Fat eating plan on 5/1/15, my fasting blood sugar consistently was below 100 within 24 hours!....Now over 7 weeks later, I am testing my blood on average 8 times per day, as I experiment with different foods watching my BS reaction at 1 hr. and 2hrs. my average overall, which my meter provides to me....is now at 104!

Just sayin......!?:eyebrows:

·
Registered
970 Posts
I think people get caught up in schemes like this because they involve "science" and "authorities."

It's hard to get more simple than "Eating carbohydrates causes our blood sugar to elevate to unhealthy levels, therefor we will not eat carbohydrates."

If this site had a BS flag, I would be tempted to hoist it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts