The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone,

For those of you who are on low-carb diets, I'm wondering about how many calories per day you are consuming. I'm finding it difficult to eat more than 1000 calories a day.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My caloric intake runs about 1500-1800, and usually less than 50g of carbs per day. The secret is including fats in your low-carb meals. If you're still trying to lose weight, the fats won't hurt you one bit - they work beautifully with a low-carb diet because they can't raise your blood sugar, they provide energy & give a nice sense of satiety (it's the fat-with-carbs combination that produces obesity). Heaven knows you don't have to drink olive oil for breakfast - all you have to do is use regular full-fat products like butter, sour cream, mayonnaise, heavy dairy cream, etc., in normal amounts in your meals. The BEST product to use is coconut oil - it is metabolized quickly for good energy & it greatly helps dissolve the spare tire - belly fat that is ubiquitous with diabetics.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I eat about 1300 - 1600 calories a day and average about 20 carbs per day, some days up to 25. I'm with Shanny on the full fats. Another high calorie item for me is almonds (and almond meal). Cheese is also up there.

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
299 Posts
I am losing weight very slowly and steadily. My doctor is amazed that I am not losing more as most people lose quickly at my level of carbs and a reasonable number of calories. He has recommended exercise if I want to lose faster as my body is VERY resistant to weight loss from diet alone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wink, why do you think your body is very resistant to weight loss? I ask because, since becoming diabetic, it seems like I have become very resistant to weight loss as well. It's been 5 years since I've lost a significant amount of weight on purpose. I've tried since then, but it seems as though it's much harder now. I'll be 40 in another year, but I can't imagine that has too much to do with it. I'm thinking it's my diabetes.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm only guessing but I think it's partly my metabolism and probably mostly because I eat the wrong foods.

I don't eat fish or seafood except tuna, don't really like chicken much unless it's fried, don't much like salads, I'll eat most veggies but I don't eat them daily or anything. Doc looks at my food log and says I should still be losing weight faster and blames my metabolism - he's advised me to exercise to speed things up. My instinct tells me I should be eating less processed foods - but smoked brautwurst, pulled pork, and low carb ice cream just make me happier than organic spinach.

I've only lost 10 pounds in 7 months and I've got about 50-60 more to go. The only time I lost significant weight was when I was going to Curves 3-4 times a week as well as dieting. We moved to a different town and Curves is no longer an option for me - besides, I hate exercising. I've been trying to walk but we're having one of the coldest, wettest springs on record - and the dog I got to walk with got sick and won't be back to par for 3 months or so. I've always got an excuse - that's one thing I'm excellent at.

p.s. I also hate people who post that they cut their carbs to 100 a day and lost 38 pounds in a week .... grrrrrr. LOL

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I share your frustrations Wink. I started following the 4-Hour Body diet a while ago, except I don't eat beans like they suggest so I can cut carbs. A lot of people are having success on that diet, but none of them are diabetic. The one thing about that diet is that you not only can, but are suppposed, to have one splurge day (only one) a week where you eat whatever you want. I've heard people argue that that can't apply to diabetics because it takes so long for your blood sugar to come back down. But, I was able to get mine back down to normal the day after my splurge day this weekend by immediately going back to my low-carb diet. So, one question that remains to be seen is whether or not having high blood sugar for only one day is detrimental to my health. If it's not a big deal, then I may have found what works for me.

That reminds me. I have another question that I'll ask in a separate post related to "normal" blood sugar levels in diabetics.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Good morning everyone,

For those of you who are on low-carb diets, I'm wondering about how many calories per day you are consuming. I'm finding it difficult to eat more than 1000 calories a day.
I'm the big eater here, I think.

I consume at minimum 3,000 calories a day, most days fewer than 100g of carb in total.

On my "long ride" days (any day where I ride for 2 to 3 hrs or more in total) I will eat between 3,400 and 4,000 calories, including 140g - 180g of carbohydrate to help fuel the ride.

So I'm "low-carb" in percentage of my caloric intake, but not necessarily in overall carb intake.

That being said, I'm a 6'3" 240lb male that does 12-15hrs of spin bike riding per week. So I need more calories than most.

In regards to getting enough calories... I could NEVER do it if I ate only 3x a day... I eat 6 meals per day, spaced 3 to 3-1/2 hours apart, as well as extra snacks during workouts. Many people, regardless of whether they're diabetic or not, find that eating smaller meals more often can help with getting proper nutrient intake, keeping metabolism active, etc. It's a habit I got into years ago when bodybuilding.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Beefy,

According to your weight, height, and activity level can I assume that you're fairly fit?
I still have about 20 lbs to shed to be happy with my body-fat percentage... I'm getting much fitter as I go. I'm certainly not 'skinny', but I'm in loose 38" pants now and can wear my 36" jeans, although they're a little tight still. I'll have about a 34" waist once I'm getting to my goal weight, which is pretty slim for a guy my size. Then the nightmare of finding clothes that fit gets worse, lol...

I won't fool myself - I'm 45 years old now and no longer the athlete I used to be. But I was able to get into shape quite quickly. I'm not doing bad considering I'm technically disabled... I have a degenerative spinal condition and am pretty much limited to cycling and swimming as far as the activities I can do. But I've quickly worked up to being able to do 2-3hrs of fairly hard cycling in a day now.

As a mesomorph, with a fairly large amount of lean muscle tissue, I have a very active metabolism and find it easy to lose weight, even with limited choices in exercise.

I'm finding that keeping up with LOTS of DAILY (Except Sunday, I take that one day off) exercise is really helping my blood glucose levels, and likely my insulin resistance also. As such I'd like to maintain it as much as possible, maybe even extend it out to do some century rides this year. I haven't been able to get OUTSIDE yet, I'm still on a spin bike... it's still winter here, with about 6" of snow on the ground, unfortunately...

·
Registered
83 Posts
I consume 1,400 to 1,600 a day and try to get in at least 30 minutes of some form of exercise a day. It's been very frustrating because I do eat fish and chicken and salads, etc... and I do exercise... but the weight just isn't coming off.

Actually, I have slacked off a little on the intensity of my exercise because of other ailments I have, and I dropped about 4 pounds, but honestly, it would not surprise me to weigh myself tomorrow and it all be back even though I stay within my calorie range and try to "keep moving" as much as possible. It's happened before.

·
Registered
299 Posts
How bad are you letting your BG get on your splurge day? When I do cheat it's on the Atkins restrictions but I never let my blood sugar go out of control - I'm just not willing to take the risks that go with it.
The problem with thinking it's ok to take a day off on the blood sugars is that there is no way to know how that might affect your health 5 or 10 years from now. If we knew that todays piece of cake would cost us a foot 10 years from now we would have no problem saying no - unfortunately we don't know exactly where the line is between what we can get by with and what we can't. For me that means I have to be very strict all the time so I eat one bite of the cake - makes my taste buds happy but doesn't shoot my BG to the moon.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I hate you beefy. That is all.
Ouch. ;)

When I used to go to the gym a lot, I'd have other bodybuilders ask me for my training regimen for my calves... I was almost embarrassed to admit I really didn't do ANYTHING to train them...

It's nice being naturally muscled, but it's a PAIN finding clothes that fit, so don't hate me.

Try finding a suit that fits when you have a 50" chest and a 34" waist... I buy a shirt with an 18.5" neck and it needs to be taken in at the waist by like... a foot... Pants are usually too tight in the leg, even relaxed-fit... So that part of being naturally muscled SUCKS.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Try finding a suit that fits when you have a 50" chest and a 34" waist... I buy a shirt with an 18.5" neck and it needs to be taken in at the waist by like... a foot... Pants are usually too tight in the leg, even relaxed-fit... So that part of being naturally muscled SUCKS.
:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
roflmao... No recent photos, but I'll see what I can do... Maybe I'll at least post some before/after the Dx photos

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have lost all my weight so I am in a maintenance phase now. I actually lost too much weight last Fall and looked like a walking skeleton. So I had to up my carbs and add things like sweet potato and Eziekel bread which luckily doesn't raise my bg but I have gained a few pounds. I really don't ever count calories but probably do anywhere form 1600-2200 most days. I eat whenever I am hungry. I just don't eat a ton of carbs at once. Even though I have gained 6 pounds I am still in a small size which tells me I am gaining musle not fat.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I have lost all my weight so I am in a maintenance phase now...

... Even though I have gained 6 pounds I am still in a small size which tells me I am gaining musle not fat.
:clap2: yay jwags!

I've still got about 20 to go, I figure... Hopefully by summer...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts