The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that insulin, exercise and meal plan are the therapies to type 1 diabetes. but I meet a research very curious. The arabian use milk camel to help diabetes for centuries, and there is scientific evidence for this.
someone has aditional information about CAMEL MILK?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
That sure does sound interesting, but I have never heard anything about this. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There’s a traditional belief in the Middle East that regular consumption of camel milk may aid in prevention and control of diabetes. Research conducted at Cairo University, in Egypt supports this belief. First, the details.

54 type 1 diabetic patients (average age 20 years) were randomly assigned to a treatment group for 16 weeks. Usual management (diet, exercise, and insulin), and Usual management + 500 mL of camel milk daily

And, the results.

After 16 weeks, the camel milk group showed improvement in the following parameters:
Fasting blood sugar
A1c
Serum anti-insulin antibodies
Urinary albumin excretion
Daily insulin dose (23 units with camel milk vs 48 units in the other group)
Body mass index
C-peptide levels were markedly higher in the camel milk group.
Most impressively, the daily dose of insulin decreased and A1c improved in the group treated with camel milk.

Camel milk was indicated to be an effective supplementation in the management of type 1 diabetes reflected in a significant reduction in insulin doses along with improvement in different parameters of diabetes and quality of life.

I can´t believe.... but, there are a lot of others research with similar results.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Y'know what, Ricardo? We'd rather hear how Isabel is doing, than all this literature on camel milk, etc. How's it going for her? What are her latest numbers?

Let us know how she's doing. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oi Shanny. Thanks for your care with Isabel. Bel is very well. Her Last A1c was 5.3. Last week she began in an exercise program, and the life is normal. She study language, and speech and writes in english better than I. Now she is studing french, but she wants improve in englis... We are considering the hipothesys of a two months study in USA... but I have fear...

She has a orkut page, her name is Isabel Constant. Of course, I still suffer a lot... but paradoxically we are happy...

I'am not a "religous" person, but god be you.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Suffering comes as part of the parenting package, doesn't it? haha

Well I'm glad to hear she's doing so well, and that is a splendid number for her A1c. Keep us posted if you decide she can come to study in the US. That would be very interesting for her. Our daughter went to France for a term during her young years.

take care,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts