The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this weekend we are heading out for our first RV trip of the summer. Up until now, camping meant snacks of all sorts. Everyone else will be enjoying s'mores, chips, popcorn, etc., and I am at a loss on what to pack that I can have while everyone else is snacking on their goodies.

Even though hubby has been totally supportive through all of this and has not once yet complained about eating whatever I eat for meals, he has just left the house now to go to the grocery store to get his "camping snacks".

Any suggestions would be really appreciated. I am feeling very left out at the moment. All of a sudden camping doesn't seem like so much fun anymore. No more toasted marshmallows for me.....................ever!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Beef jerky, nuts, cheese crisps (the recipe is somewhere around here)...
If you have a way to store cold food, string cheese, sugar free jello (you can jazz it up with diet soda, instead of the cold cup of water! Black cherry jello + diet DP cherry = amazing!).

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Make a batch of cheese crisps. Make your own trail mix. I make my own crackers similar to Doritoes. I take almond meal and mix it with all sorts of spices like chipolte, garlic, papkia. Add a little water and some shredded cheese. i then roll the dough out on a silicone sheet and score in triangles. I sprinkle extra spice on top and bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes until crisp. If you have a cooler you can pack cheese sticks, deviled eggs and grilled chicken breast. What would camping be without smores. Walden farms makes sugar free marshmallow dip. Make some low carb graham crackers with almond meal, take 85% dark chocolate and some WF marshmallow dip. Voila. Check out Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home for some great cracker recipes. Also things like Atkins bars are good to bring and rarely spike my bg. Most of all Have Fun.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Okay, I'm going camping w/ jwags.

Reactions: skypeace

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
cheese sticks really don't have to be refrigerated...I left some out for 10 days and they were fine!
This seems not right, doesn't it? Like bread that never rots.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've also carried a cheesestick around in my lunch bag for over a week and they are still good. It does work.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Oh, I believe it works. It's still not right :)

·
Registered
741 Posts
ah huh I'd be checking for preservatives...have you noticed bread doesn't 'seem' to go off any more? I have the nose of a sniffer dog...the bread does go off they just treat it so it doesn't discolour....makes me not trust processed food

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.