The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am newly diagnoed, diet and exercise controlled. My FBS have been around 110 give or take. This morning TOM started and my FBS was 139. The only conclusion I came to was a shift in hormones. Is it possible?

·
Registered
165 Posts
no first hand experience but yes I believe that hormones associates w/ that time of the month can affect sugars. Or could be other factors like stress, becoming sick or just a bad reading on the meter (they are not 100% accurate)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no first hand experience but yes I believe that hormones associates w/ that time of the month can affect sugars. Or could be other factors like stress, becoming sick or just a bad reading on the meter (they are not 100% accurate)
So much to learn. Today was much better now that the flow has lightened. Back to 110. Sure beats 130s

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'm too old to remember those "times", caren, :)D) but I've been away from the forum for a few days & haven't had a chance to welcome you to DF! Really nice to have you with us - thank you for joining us!

:welcome:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I am newly diagnoed, diet and exercise controlled. My FBS have been around 110 give or take. This morning TOM started and my FBS was 139. The only conclusion I came to was a shift in hormones. Is it possible?
I don't have to deal with that TOM anymore, but I feel that it can really shift your hormones.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Absolutely!! This is how I was diagnosed with diabetes. My period started and would NOT stop. My OB-GYN explained that it can be a vicious circle. Higher blood sugar irritates your entire system, causing heavier periods. The heavier periods cause hormone changes and trouble sleeping, which both raise blood sugar. I know... Too Much Information for many people!!! But these symptoms are not talked about much because most people in Type 2 studies are either men or post-menopausal women.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So what can we do about them? So far I am diet/exercise controlled so for a few days should I just forget testing? Go on meds for just a few days a month? Need to talk to my doctor I guess

·
Registered
800 Posts
Yes this is true. From a physiological point of view women burn carbs differently during different hormone phases. The first two weeks after a period leading to ovulation are the time when our bodies process carbs the best. During PMT week and menstruation we process carbs as a secondary fuel, fat being the preferred metabolism at that time.

Essentially that means the same amount of carbs eaten during the wrong time will spike you. In the chart below good carb processing hormone weeks are green.

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
It is true. I had endometriosis and had TOMs almost whole month(20yrs back). I was having very high sugars too in those days. After my hysterectomy I thought I will be alright but my lack of ovaries threw me back in to harmonal imbalance. since the fight continues..well, you win some you lose some I guess!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Yes this is true. From a physiological point of view women burn carbs differently during different hormone phases. The first two weeks after a period leading to ovulation are the time when our bodies process carbs the best. During PMT week and menstruation we process carbs as a secondary fuel, fat being the preferred metabolism at that time.

Essentially that means the same amount of carbs eaten during the wrong time will spike you. In the chart below good carb processing hormone weeks are green.
Judy, you bring so much to DF - and I thank you for taking the time! I'm not a young woman by any stretch of the imagination, but there are lessons here for me too! :D Thanks again!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have an awful problem with my control that TOM. I'm either too low or too high. I never know which way it will swing. I've asked a couple of Drs about it and some say they've heard of it, some not. The ones that have couldn't really give me an explaination for it though. I did some research of my own and this is what I've found.

I have a question about hypoglycemia and PMS? - Yahoo! Answers

·
Registered
561 Posts
My period always affects my blood sugar. Sometimes my BG goes up the day I start, but some months my blood sugar seems to go up three or four days BEFORE I start my period and the elevated numbers last well into the third or fourth day. Fortunately, I'm never really high, but I hate when I follow my diet so carefully and wake up with fasting levels 15 points higher than usual.

G

·
I have an awful problem with my control that TOM. I'm either too low or too high. I never know which way it will swing. I've asked a couple of Drs about it and some say they've heard of it, some not. The ones that have couldn't really give me an explaination for it though. I did some research of my own and this is what I've found.

I have a question about hypoglycemia and PMS? - Yahoo! Answers
that's a good article Amy :)
It may explain my recent problem where I was wondering why I was getting hypos all day. Damn hormones! I'm on the pill too... so maybe this interferes with insulin?... very interesting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Link to Chart?

I don't suppose you have a link to the image you posted. It's so tiny I can't read all the words. Thank you!

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
I re-typed the document and the attached jpg is a bit bigger. Hope it helps.

Judy did ask me to say that the time periods in the last row should be adjusted to reflect YOUR own period intervals which can be very individual. As always "one size doesn't fit all":)

John

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Judy, I have to agree with Shanny. The info you posted was most helpful. I'm eons past those days, but your information explained so much about what was happening to me back then!

pj

·
Registered
200 Posts
Not looking forward to this!! I have only had one since being diagnosed because I was on depo to control migraines... I was very regular before though. This is kind of depressing but I guess I will have to wait and see how my sugars act before getting too bummed out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi

For me yes, definately, bit loopy just before, then loopy during. Just keep a closer eye on things.

Take care

1 - 20 of 24 Posts