The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quick question for y'all!

As I posted in another thread, I've been quite sick for awhile for from my diabetes between gastroparesis and my sugars having gone totally out of control. Lately, when I've been sick and before I test my sugars, my cats all seem to just be ... clinging to me, when my numbers come up high. When they are down, like they were last night, they aren't nearly as clingy and give me space, but when they go up, they won't leave me for anything.

So I was just wondering. Can animals smell glucose in the blood?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Interesting question really. I have heard of some dogs that were able to be trained as assistance animals and could warn the person if they were going low. Animals have a much better sense of smell than we do, so I wouldnt doubt if that were true. Heh, sort of like having your own CAT scan LOL...ok ok ok...I know...it was bad :p

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting question really. I have heard of some dogs that were able to be trained as assistance animals and could warn the person if they were going low. Animals have a much better sense of smell than we do, so I wouldnt doubt if that were true. Heh, sort of like having your own CAT scan LOL...ok ok ok...I know...it was bad :p
LOL, actually several CAT scans! Gets a bit annoying really when I have 3 cats trying to be near me all at once and 2 of them don't get along!

Nah, not too bad, I've said worse! :D

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
LOL, actually several CAT scans! Gets a bit annoying really when I have 3 cats trying to be near me all at once and 2 of them don't get along!

Nah, not too bad, I've said worse! :D
I feel your pain.....I have three cats and a very emotionally needy dog! :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel your pain.....I have three cats and a very emotionally needy dog! :)
My oldest cat, Shadow, thinks he's a dog ... he has since he was a kitten. He is the worst one for being clingy, but also the one who it seems can smell the glucose the most. I tested earlier, it was 435 and I figured it would be high because of where he was laying. My veins on my feet pop out all the time, they have for years even before being diagnosed, and that seems to be where he goes to when my levels are high. If he can't get to them, then he's up by my head. Two places where I think the skin is the thinnest & the easiest places for him to check on me. :)

Sincerely,
Rechelle
Dallas, TX

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
My oldest cat, Shadow, thinks he's a dog ... he has since he was a kitten. He is the worst one for being clingy, but also the one who it seems can smell the glucose the most. I tested earlier, it was 435 and I figured it would be high because of where he was laying. My veins on my feet pop out all the time, they have for years even before being diagnosed, and that seems to be where he goes to when my levels are high. If he can't get to them, then he's up by my head. Two places where I think the skin is the thinnest & the easiest places for him to check on me. :)

Sincerely,
Rechelle
Dallas, TX
Thats really pretty cool...you will have to let us know if their behavior changes as your blood sugar normalizes. :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My oldest cat, Shadow, thinks he's a dog ... he has since he was a kitten.
We have one of those too! LOL! I guess unless you've had dogs, you wouldn't necessarily know, but our cat Waylon definitely acts like a dog, and we've had visitors who tell us so too! Now whether our dog Fritz believes that, I'm not at liberty to say . . . but here we are:

Fritz Chuck Shanny Waylon

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a quick question for y'all!

As I posted in another thread, I've been quite sick for awhile for from my diabetes between gastroparesis and my sugars having gone totally out of control. Lately, when I've been sick and before I test my sugars, my cats all seem to just be ... clinging to me, when my numbers come up high. When they are down, like they were last night, they aren't nearly as clingy and give me space, but when they go up, they won't leave me for anything.

So I was just wondering. Can animals smell glucose in the blood?
I have seen documentaries on tv about animals who have detected cancer in humans so I bet they can detect high and low blood sugars too. Animals have excellent senses, I always knew bad weather was on the way by the way they acted.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have seen documentaries on tv about animals who have detected cancer in humans so I bet they can detect high and low blood sugars too. Animals have excellent senses, I always knew bad weather was on the way by the way they acted.
I've read on other sites about people who have dogs trained to alert them to diabetic complications. I have even heard of dogs trained to detect an oncoming epileptic seizure.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I am not sure if animals can smell blood sugar but I think they can sense emotional changes. I used to have a cat that would get really scared if I started to cry or raised my voice on the phone. I need to scan some pictures and post a picture of my last cat. He died very suddenly. He stopped eating one weekend and was hiding behind my couch. By Monday morning, he was lifeless and I rushed him to the vet and he was in kidney failure and his blood glucose was over 300. The vet wanted to run additional tests but I reviewed his blood tests and everything was out of line. I had to put him to sleep.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am not sure if animals can smell blood sugar but I think they can sense emotional changes. I used to have a cat that would get really scared if I started to cry or raised my voice on the phone. I need to scan some pictures and post a picture of my last cat. He died very suddenly. He stopped eating one weekend and was hiding behind my couch. By Monday morning, he was lifeless and I rushed him to the vet and he was in kidney failure and his blood glucose was over 300. The vet wanted to run additional tests but I reviewed his blood tests and everything was out of line. I had to put him to sleep.
Aww, Breeze, I hate to hear that. Pease do post pics. I know exactly how hard it is to put your pet to sleep.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Aww, Breeze, I hate to hear that. Pease do post pics. I know exactly how hard it is to put your pet to sleep.
I will never forget that day. It was the hardest decision that I have ever made. Since I have no children, he was just like my kid. It is a good thing that memories last forever! ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I grew up in Alberta, Canada and I remember one day there was an F-5 tornado in a nearby city and my horse was going nuts that day. Didn't pay much attention to it at first, since I didn't know about the tornado at the time, but after I went in and saw the news, I went out to get him out of the electric fence area. The funnel started coming down when I was getting him out of there and he probably saved my life. He started running and I went from being dragged by him to on his back with him running for all he could (being an Arabian, it was quite fast). They definitely sense weather, way before it actually hits.

Shadow, back when I was first diagnosed with epilepsy 8 years ago, could sense when I was about to have a seizure. He was able to let me & my husband know it was coming so we could get me somewhere safe & quiet. He is quite the cat. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am so sorry to hear about your cat! That is so hard! I know that they definitely sense moods & changes like that. My sugar levels went under 300 for awhile again today and Shadow hasn't been nearly as clingy today (thankfully!).

I'd love to see some pictures of your cat!

·
Registered
297 Posts
There are dogs that are trained to alert people with diabetes that have lows and are hypoglycemically unaware. Some dogs have been found to also alert on high blood glucose levels but generally have not been trained for this.

Since I have not posted enough times, I cannot post the link to my blog where I discuss this and other issues.

There are records of cats alerting people that have low blood glucose and even a pig.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There are dogs that are trained to alert people with diabetes that have lows and are hypoglycemically unaware. Some dogs have been found to also alert on high blood glucose levels but generally have not been trained for this.

Since I have not posted enough times, I cannot post the link to my blog where I discuss this and other issues.

There are records of cats alerting people that have low blood glucose and even a pig.
My cats never cling to me when my sugars are anything lower than about 325. If it's above 325, Shadow is all over me and if it goes above 400, my other two are all over me. :grouphug: Shadow in particular goes to my feet when my sugars are high. If he can't get to them (if they're under a blanket or if I'm wearing socks or shoes), he'll go up by my head on the couch and pick at my hair. This is not normal behaviour for him. This is also a cat that has an identity issue (when he was neutered at 10 weeks old, the techs at the vet's office thought they heard a dog awake after surgery. They went back there and found a little black kitten "barking". He has never been a normal cat. LOL). Nothing about Shadow is normal. But he's also never been wrong about my numbers, every time he's clinging, my sugars are high. He smells or senses something.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am betting they can, really believing they can!

I have a diabetic alert dog coming in about 8 weeks. Yes some can alert to highs and lows.

As far as the cats wanting to get on your feet. One of the ways they scent train is to use the socks that were worn during glucose changes, so your cat may be on to something.

I cannot add the links because I am new here. But google Diabetic Alert Dog, and click on Home of the Diabetic Alert Dog, the video will touch your heart.
Beverly

·
Registered
17 Posts
Forgot to add

I am getting a dog from Warrens Retrievers in Richmond VA and training with Dee Bogetti. They both also have facebook pages as well as facebook page for "Diabetic Alert Dogs".

Beverly

·
Registered
181 Posts
By Monday morning, he was lifeless and I rushed him to the vet and he was in kidney failure and his blood glucose was over 300. The vet wanted to run additional tests but I reviewed his blood tests and everything was out of line. I had to put him to sleep.
I am afraid I am going a little off topic but can't resist asking these questions: Why do cats become diabetic? Aren't they, by nature, very low carbers?

I can understand dogs becoming diabetic because they don't have any hesitation in consuming large amounts of carbs. I remember a stray dog of my boyhood days who made our verandah his official residence. When not out on his regular rounds he would curl up in our verandah. He would happily eat the rice and vegetarian curries we left for him. Of course, he would be getting some non-veg stuff from the "non-veg" homes he visited during his daily rounds but I suspect our rice and curries were his major meals and those non-veg tidbits he might have got were just his snacks. Roughly contemporary to this dog, we had a stray cat who made one of our bedrooms her official residence and gave birth to kittens there (she took all but one kitten somewhere else when she left our home; we suspected that one kitten was eaten by its itinerant father himself.) She would never touch rice or curries. She would eat fried things like banana chips for the oil (coconut oil) on it. And of course she used to regularly cause milk to be spilt and lap up the milk spilt on the floor. She would also eat preparations that contained ghee (clarified butter.)

Regards,
Rad

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I am afraid I am going a little off topic but can't resist asking these questions: Why do cats become diabetic? Aren't they, by nature, very low carbers?

I can understand dogs becoming diabetic because they don't have any hesitation in consuming large amounts of carbs. I remember a stray dog of my boyhood days who made our verandah his official residence. When not out on his regular rounds he would curl up in our verandah. He would happily eat the rice and vegetarian curries we left for him. Of course, he would be getting some non-veg stuff from the "non-veg" homes he visited during his daily rounds but I suspect our rice and curries were his major meals and those non-veg tidbits he might have got were just his snacks. Roughly contemporary to this dog, we had a stray cat who made one of our bedrooms her official residence and gave birth to kittens there (she took all but one kitten somewhere else when she left our home; we suspected that one kitten was eaten by its itinerant father himself.) She would never touch rice or curries. She would eat fried things like banana chips for the oil (coconut oil) on it. And of course she used to regularly cause milk to be spilt and lap up the milk spilt on the floor. She would also eat preparations that contained ghee (clarified butter.)

Regards,
Rad
I imagine they can have a defective pancreas just like any other living creature. I had a diabetic cat. I used to check his sugar twice a day everyday and give him his insulin. My vet always told me he was lucky to have another diabetic as his human mommy :p He lived to be 13 years old :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.