The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just joined this forum last weekend, my partner has been diagnosed with diabetes back in 1996. He doesn't check his sugars regularly, only when there is a problem and lately he hasn't felt good. He tested last weekend and his sugar fasting number was 375, this week we totally changed diet, very low to no carbs, increased metformin to 1500mg, 10mg glipizide, added 1 hour of walking to the regimen 4 days this week (yes, we checked urine for ketones, test negative).

He has been testing every day this week and the lowest his fasting was 339. Today we are back at 367 still. We are planning to go to the urgent care, what will they do? Will they admit him to the hospital? I am just scared and want to know what I should expect. :confused:

Thank you very much for your input

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Since I haven't had to use the ER or urgent care for my diabetes, I can't describe what they might do, but I applaud you for getting the diet & exercise going right away. I agree with Amy that he prob'ly needs insulin, at least for awhile, to get these very high numbers reined in. If his fastings are this high, his postprandials must be hellacious.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Your partner's one lucky guy to have you! :D

300s are extremely high, but don't usually require an ER visit or hospitalization. (Assuming everything else is pretty much OK, of course.)

If urgent care is less than helpful, he may want to just call his doc. Since your partner's already being treated for diabetes, he may be able to get meds adjusted -- or new ones prescribed -- during a phone consultation.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree with everybody here, a stay in the hospital is not necessary, just call his doctor should be good enough

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I would imagine Urgent Care would tell him to contact his own doctor. It sounds like the medications your partner is using aren't working. If the beta cells in your pancreas are burned out they no longer secrete enough insulin to keep bgs low. This is the point where you have to inject insulin. They usually start out with a long acting background basal insulin like Lantus or Levemir. Then depending how that works they may add fast acting insulin at meals. Many type 2's after 10 years progress to insulin.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Sounds like he burnt his pancreas out by not taking care of himself, so now he will need insulin.

I hope he takes this as a worning of what is to come if does not take care of HIS diabetes.

Insulin is a wonderful tool. DONT let him think that taking insulin is painful, %90 of my injections are without pain. (your injecting into fat not muscle as with vaccines and you use a very small needle)

·
Registered
930 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Agree with others, sounds like he has hit the point of requiring insulin. This is one of those things with proper care from the beginning you can preserve the insulin producing capabilities of the pancreas. However, with constant elevated BG you overwork the pancreas and burn them out. His pancreas are still producing some insulin, but left unchecked from now own they'll inevitably stop producing insulin at some point.

Did you two decide to change the medication/diet/exercise on your own? Or did you consult a doctor prior? I ask because that is a drastic change. All those compounded, if his pancreas where producing adequate insulin, could have caused severe hypoglycemia requiring a trip to the hospital.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Ok, I just joined this forum last weekend, my partner has been diagnosed with diabetes back in 1996. He doesn't check his sugars regularly, only when there is a problem and lately he hasn't felt good. He tested last weekend and his sugar fasting number was 375, this week we totally changed diet, very low to no carbs, increased metformin to 1500mg, 10mg glipizide, added 1 hour of walking to the regimen 4 days this week (yes, we checked urine for ketones, test negative).

He has been testing every day this week and the lowest his fasting was 339. Today we are back at 367 still. We are planning to go to the urgent care, what will they do? Will they admit him to the hospital? I am just scared and want to know what I should expect. :confused:

Thank you very much for your input
Anytime your blood sugar readings are over 250, you should approach any form of exercise with caution. Exercise, while very good for us, can cause blood sugars to go up during and after exercise. Your partner needs to see a doctor asap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.