The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -- jatwood4 here. I've been diabetic since 1974, and I have run the gamut of levels of compliance -- I'm doing better now than before, but that really isn't saying too much. I know I am only one of MANY in this forum with similar experiences.

I have a carbohydrate question that I cannot find an answer to anywhere, and I was hoping someone here might know. A small can of Dole pineapple chunks in juice is two servings of 16 carbs each. Due to kidney complications, I am rinsing the juice away before eating. Where does that leave me as regards carbohydrates? Even my doctor didn't know the answer! Thanks for the help!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on moving into the 'doing better' category ;)

I have no idea on your pineapple question, and not sure how that could be deconstructed. I'd ask on Dole's facebook page - Dole - Wall | Facebook -

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hi jatwood4 and Welcome.

I did a search on Nutrition Data dot com and they show the same 16g carbs for 100g of either "Pineapple, canned, juice pack, solids and liquids" or "Pineapple, canned, juice pack, drained"

Kinda make sense if you consider that the nutritional label is based on all the contents of the can... so if they have measured it correctly, it ought to be the same regardless of whether your 100g serving comes from juice and/or chunks.

Having said that I'd guess your BG meter would have the final say.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
That 16g is for about 1/2 cup, if I'm not mistaken . . .

and as Frank says, test after you've eaten it and let your meter be your guide.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts