The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found that drinking coffee raises my BG reading at least 20 points and that is when I did an experiment and choked it down black.

If I put Splenda in it, it goes up another 15 points.

I am not a big coffee drinker and don't even have it every day but on those days I feel I need an extra jolt, I sure would like to have a cup.

I am going to experiment with different sweeteners and see what that does.

I use Keurig K-cups in the flavored coffee variety - but they say on their website that the flavoring contains something like .3 carbs so I wouldn't think that would be a contributing factor.

Does coffee just raise BG for some people?

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I did for me...I haven't checked in months, but when I did, it did. I don't drink it that often, but Keurigs is soooooo good.

Enjoy! Could it be the Splenda for you? Or, the 'flavorings'? Worth a try, since my spike was not that much by a long shot.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I drink my coffee without cream or milk...in Australia its called a black coffee...I use stevia to sweeten and no spike ever....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did for me...I haven't checked in months, but when I did, it did. I don't drink it that often, but Keurigs is soooooo good.

Enjoy! Could it be the Splenda for you? Or, the 'flavorings'? Worth a try, since my spike was not that much by a long shot.
Well, unless they are lying on the Keurig website, their flavored coffee K-cups don't contain enough carbs to raise it 20 pts (.30 carb - not even 1 carb).

I am going to try some plain instant Nescafe tomorrow with some Truvia instead of Splenda and then see what happens.

I guess I should also get some of the sweetener pills for coffee since I think I've read that the powdered sweeteners contain something that can be bad for some people.

How confusing - ha. You'd think a sweetener is a sweetener is a sweetener....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I have never seen a postprandial spike from coffee -- but I do not drink the flavored type.

However, I recently dropped my DP numbers the NEXT DAY, after drinking coffee, by 15 pts or so, by lowering my daily caffeine intake ...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Today's coffee experiment was:

My morning reading was 116.

Instant coffee - (did not use flavored K-cup)
1 packet Truvia
1tsp. regular coffeemate

Took thyroid pill and then ate a cheese stick 1/2 hr. later.

One hour later my reading was 135.

Went to the store and bought some Stevia packets to see how that does - plus some heavy cream to use instead of the coffeemate.

Also, instead of this rise being caused by coffee, I think I may be experiencing a spike after I get up in the morning (I am not an early riser). I plan on not having coffee one morning and then checking it later after just a cheese stick and water.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Also, instead of this rise being caused by coffee, I think I may be experiencing a spike after I get up in the morning (I am not an early riser).
I'll testify to this; I'm not an early riser either, and my fastings are horrible. But my levels keep dropping throughout the day because I don't eat foods that raise them. On the occasions that I am up earlier, my fasting is lower.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's the caffeine in the coffee that makes your bg's rise/spike. I usually drank mine black. I tried decaf and it didn't spike, but I'm not too fond of decaf so I cut out coffee all together since I'm not supposed to have caffeine anyway because of my high blood pressure.

For more info in the caffeine vs. blood sugar read this link:
The Effects Of Caffeine On Blood Sugar | LIVESTRONG.COM

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have found that drinking coffee raises my BG reading at least 20 points and that is when I did an experiment and choked it down black.
I just drink coffee to punish myself too. :)

Here is an interesting article that got me thinking about coffee, and it seems to be true. Caffeine and Carbs Don't Mix

If I do have coffee with breakfast, it will raise my bg a lot more than the same breakfast without. It looks like I have to quit drinking it completely, but for other reasons. My case is unusual. I used to sit in front of a computer for a day at a time with a coffee cup for company. I really overdid the coffee thing a few years ago.

It sounds like coffee all by itself puts your bg up. That might be a bit different. But it does seem to increase resistance to insulin for me.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Today's coffee experiment was:

My morning reading was 116.

Instant coffee - (did not use flavored K-cup)
1 packet Truvia
1tsp. regular coffeemate
what is in coffeemate? here in Australia a coffee whitener is packed full of carbs as its a milk derivative...I don't know the contents of yours but if it is...also from what I've read truvia has 3gms of carb per teaspoon.

I use stevia in a liquid form (small bottle that you can add drops to your drink) and its zero carb as there is no filler...

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It's the same thing & it's totally loaded with carbs - corn syrup solids & other weird things. Besides which, watch this! :eek:

The Mythbusters test if they can create a 'creamer' cannon using non-dairy creamer, compressed air, and a flare. Watch how they create one of the scariest-looking explosions ever on the show.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Coffee with a dash of milk does not spike me but coffee made with milk substitute or creamer spikes me over 10 within minutes.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Francois said:
Coffee with a dash of milk does not spike me but coffee made with milk substitute or creamer spikes me over 10 within minutes.
I switched to unsweetened Almond milk in my coffee with a little whipping cream. Love it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi!

I'm new. I just love coffee. I can't do without it. I had to read this thread. Very interesting! Especially the bit about caffeine and carbs. I did notice coffee spikes my numbers if I don't low carb at breakfast. Dangerous combination for me is : bagel + coffee. Might as well drink a gallon of maple syrup! I also have a Keurig (got it 2 days ago yay!) and was a bit afraid to try the flavoured coffee but now, after reading this thread, I might feel confident enough to try one. I tried cream instead of milk in my coffee but just don't like the taste of cream.

·
Registered
206 Posts
If its the caffeine in the coffee that causes the spike, would the same be expected for caffeinated diet soda?
Excellent question! :)

I've experienced with both; with and without caffeine. I wanted to know because in my case, coffee is a food group :D

My dangerous combination in the morning is coffee + bagel. Decaf coffee and a bagel has the very same effect unfortunately. It's a huge no-no for me, decaf or not.

I also tried diet sodas vs decaf diet sodas. Same (slight) increase. Nothing worth writing home about.

It seems my body is immune to caffeine :tea: It has no effect on my BG nor on my sleep because I can drink a cup just before bed! I just need to be extra careful what I have with the coffee though. I count my blessings!!

Oh! And I tried Timothy's Kahlua K-Cups for Keurig this afternoon. I was 6.1 before the coffee and was still 6.1 an hour later. I guess that's good??!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too find caffeine causes small spikes. I now drink decaf tea and coffee and no spikes. When out I order long black decaf coffee with pouring cream or full fat milk on the side. That way I can control how much gets added. Decaf today is exceedingly good.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My Walmart brand cremora has 1g of carbs per tsp. 3 tsp is less than a 1/2 cup green beans. I have found that everything that I eat that has carbs or protein raises my BS. I eat an egg omlet with cheese and microwaved bacon drives my BS up 80 points.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.