The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
Possibly. Given that hypoglycemia is an indication that carbohydrate metabolism is not normal. Having had hypoglycemia in years past, and having gone on a LC diet to control it at the time, I believe that if I had stayed on LC instead of getting sidetracked with all the gluten-free (which is high starch) baking, I probably wouldn't have developed diabetes as such. But it's hard to say for sure from this end.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I know what you mean, it's tough to say what "would have" happened.

I've read that it often times turns into diabetes but I also wonder, of those cases, how many people took proper action to prevent it.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think knowledge of what is going on is a powerful thing. Back when I was hypoglycemic I really didn't understand what was going on. I thought it was the opposite of diabetes and not part of the whole dysfunctional pancreas thing. I think improving your diet and timing of meals can keep bgs more stable eliminating the damage from sever bg spikes.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I think the answer is a definite YES. However, I think it is only a small number of diabetics who experience hypoglycemia prior. Any early knowledge of glucose metabolism problems if acted on quickly by reducing glucose dependence and drastically cutting glucose-producing foods from the diet would be extremely valuable in stopping the process in its tracks.

Evidence (the Inuit, etc.) strongly suggests that if appropriate steps were taken this early, success would be 100% or very close to it.

Jwags: hypoglycemia and diabetes ARE opposite conditions. That doesn't mean that the first one can't lead to the second one.

A teacher once told me that the precise definition of "opposite" is two things which have everything in common except for one thing. Thus a horse is not the "opposite" of nuclear physics because the have nothing in common. Sadness can be considered the "opposite" of joy because they have everything in common - feeling, mood, state of mind of a human, etc. - except for one thing the "direction" or positve/negative if you will.

Understood this way, HG and T2 are opposites. They both have to do with glucose metabolism and the body's reaction to incoming glucose. Only one factor is different: HG - over-reaction while T2 = under-reaction. HG - typically insulin hyper-sensitivity and and over-productive pancreas clearly can "wear things out" and lead to T2 - insulin resistance and/or and under-productive pancreas.

·
Registered
168 Posts
After becoming a type 1 and having a few hypos, I realized that I used to get the same feeling sometimes when I played ball after school. My Mom told me it was because my bp was on the low side, and I should go lay down until supper. I remember that after supper I always felt much better and was able to play ball or do anything I wanted to without feeling light headed and groggy. Like my case, I think there may be a lot of people out there who are hypoglycemic, but don't know it. My case was not very severe, but I think it was an early indicator of my future, and it may have been possible to do something to head it off? I don't think we know much about what causes type 1. Perhaps going on an LCHF diet would prevent it?

·
Registered
633 Posts
frankly said:
After becoming a type 1 and having a few hypos, I realized that I used to get the same feeling sometimes when I played ball after school. My Mom told me it was because my bp was on the low side, and I should go lay down until supper. I remember that after supper I always felt much better and was able to play ball or do anything I wanted to without feeling light headed and groggy. Like my case, I think there may be a lot of people out there who are hypoglycemic, but don't know it. My case was not very severe, but I think it was an early indicator of my future, and it may have been possible to do something to head it off? I don't think we know much about what causes type 1. Perhaps going on an LCHF diet would prevent it?
They know very well what causes type1. It is an attack on the beta cells by your own immune system. You developed antibodies that have killed and continue to kill all of your insulin producing beta cells. They also know that it has nothing to do with your diet and that diet alone is meaningless when it comes to treating it.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts