Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

can diabetes be prevented in the stages of hypoglycemia?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Adjitater 
I think the answer is a definite YES. However, I think it is only a small number of diabetics who experience hypoglycemia prior. Any early knowledge of glucose metabolism problems if acted on quickly by reducing glucose dependence and drastically cutting glucose-producing foods from the diet would be extremely valuable in stopping the process in its tracks.

Evidence (the Inuit, etc.) strongly suggests that if appropriate steps were taken this early, success would be 100% or very close to it.

Jwags: hypoglycemia and diabetes ARE opposite conditions. That doesn't mean that the first one can't lead to the second one.

A teacher once told me that the precise definition of "opposite" is two things which have everything in common except for one thing. Thus a horse is not the "opposite" of nuclear physics because the have nothing in common. Sadness can be considered the "opposite" of joy because they have everything in common - feeling, mood, state of mind of a human, etc. - except for one thing the "direction" or positve/negative if you will.

Understood this way, HG and T2 are opposites. They both have to do with glucose metabolism and the body's reaction to incoming glucose. Only one factor is different: HG - over-reaction while T2 = under-reaction. HG - typically insulin hyper-sensitivity and and over-productive pancreas clearly can "wear things out" and lead to T2 - insulin resistance and/or and under-productive pancreas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.