The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have neuropathy in both feet, and it is starting to develop in the hands, so I have a question: Is it possible that peripheral neuropathy is the culprit behind my constipation? Believe me when I tell you I take fiber supplements, as well as a morning breakfast of oats, wheat, bran and flaxseed. I also have more than my share of vegetables each day along with fruit.

This is a problem that has been sneaking up on me, and while Miralax, or Doucolax once worked, it no longer helps as it once did.

If its a problem you are having, please share what you are doing to keep the bowels moving!

Thanks,

Pastor Paul

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, I don't know if peripheral neuropathy can cause it but definately once you have peripheral, you have a higher chance of getting gastro-paresis which can affect everything from the throat down in that system.
I have huge problems with this, especially constipation and one thing the docs always recommend and seems to help is lactulose. It is this syrupy substance which keeps things a little more slick. (Don't worry, it doesn't affect blood sugar levels due to the way it is absorbed (or NOT absorbed, actually), in the body.) My bigger problem is that my bowels just simply don't move no matter how loose the stool. Wow...never thought I'd put those words on the internet!
Don't know if that helps but I...ahem...feel your pain!

O

·
0 Posts
I hear ya :D As you would know I'm seeing a gastroenterologist at the moment still trying to get things sorted with my stomach which is also affecting my bowel. As I understand it the problem I have is because of nerves in my stomach not working properly, or being hypersensitive. Medical science still hasn't figured out the exact cause for functional dyspepsia and irritable bowel syndrome as yet... but they do know it's a motility issue mostly. I'd say if you have problems already with neuropathy, it's possibly affecting your bowel like you're thinking. I'm going for a gastric emptying study this coming Friday, so I get to find out if my stomach is emptying properly or not... it's possible my stomach may be behaving like I have gastroparesis. It all gets so complicated! I've been advised by doc that they don't like you to take laxatives too much as it can affect the motility of your stomach/bowel movement long term. When I've had major problems with stomach pain, my doc has had me take 'colonlytely' and stay away from work and basically it would flush me out alright... it's the same stuff they give you to prep for procedures. But maybe investigating a mild laxative short term could work... eg. movicol, dulcolax.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The one and only thing I found that helps keep me regular is planters party peanuts. I guess it is the oil on them. I just know everyone I have told to try it say it works for them too.

Sent from my iPad using Diabetes

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi I to have problems going I only go about every 10 (yes TEN) days but lucky I don't get any pain from it but when I do go I go

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Some things that have helped me in the beginning of my journey with D and I still use in the present. I drink 1/4-1/2 half cup of ground flaxseed and 2 cups of water everynight before bed. Also Hi-Maize Resistant Starch 40grams a day will do wonders for your D and your digestion. If things get really backed up I will drink a 1/4 cup of whole flaxseeds, put some in your mouth and chase it with some water, do not chew. The whole flaxseeds give your large intestine something to push with. This works with out question.

Reactions: clebo

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well, I don't know if peripheral neuropathy can cause it but definately once you have peripheral, you have a higher chance of getting gastro-paresis which can affect everything from the throat down in that system.
I have huge problems with this, especially constipation and one thing the docs always recommend and seems to help is lactulose. It is this syrupy substance which keeps things a little more slick. (Don't worry, it doesn't affect blood sugar levels due to the way it is absorbed (or NOT absorbed, actually), in the body.) My bigger problem is that my bowels just simply don't move no matter how loose the stool. Wow...never thought I'd put those words on the internet!
Don't know if that helps but I...ahem...feel your pain!
I have the same probs because of GP. It'll be days and days sometimes before I go then there's the other days.....Uh Oh! Everything just releases with no warning.

Since I joined this forum I've put more on the internet than I even tell people who know me!! LoL

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have neuropathy in both feet, and it is starting to develop in the hands, so I have a question: Is it possible that peripheral neuropathy is the culprit behind my constipation? Believe me when I tell you I take fiber supplements, as well as a morning breakfast of oats, wheat, bran and flaxseed. I also have more than my share of vegetables each day along with fruit.

This is a problem that has been sneaking up on me, and while Miralax, or Doucolax once worked, it no longer helps as it once did.

If its a problem you are having, please share what you are doing to keep the bowels moving!

Thanks,

Pastor Paul
First of all sorry about the movement problems. If you do have a problem it could be gastroparesis, but there will be other symptoms as well. My Mother has gastroparesis due to systemic scleroderma. All of the advice you have been given are not good if you do have gastroparesis and I would definitely ask for a gastric emptying test if you think you do. Of course other symptoms exist as well such as vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain. Definitely bring things up with your Endo regarding the problems you are having. Now saying this, if you do have gastroparesis, you will want to avoid high fat items, high protein, high fiber, raw veggies and raw fruits, nuts, seeds, beans such as kidneybeans, etc. You will want to get with a nutritionist that knows about gastroparesis. You will become familiar with your blender and the thought of cooking veggies to mush will become familiar to you. As long as I follow these dietary rules, my Mother is a happy camper, stray and she feels the full brunt of gastroparesis in all of its "glory"
Another thing is to eat several smaller meals a day and not 3 main meals a day. but to eat smaller meals. for example my mother will have half a sandwich on white bread with a cup of soup, then 2 hours later she will have some yogurt and then 2 hours later another light snack. You could say she lives on light meals and snacks. You can try things like Glucerna and Glucose Control or other meal replacement drinks as well when you need to give your digestive system a rest. I make a lot of soups for my mother which are full of vitamins and minerals and very healthy and she loves. I also make smoothies for her. Having a food chopper and blender are a must. I do wish you the best in dealing with this new dilemma, but first let your doctor know what is going on so he or she can run the proper tests to get a diagnosis. Again wishing you the best.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My doctor said that the reason I had so much abdomen pain, belching, burping, nausea, and several times throwing up, was because of diabetes. He suggested that the length of time of being a diabetic, which is 20 years, and if I didn't control the blood sugars and A1C, that it causes the nerves in the esophagus, stomach, intestines to not be able to move things along. It is called autonomic neuropathy, gastroparesis, due to diabetes. It is very painful and causes much nausea. I have tried hyosychomine, omeprazole, and fibercon, but the latest drug that the doctor is talking about is Reglan. I have had 14 hours of so much abdomen pain on 4 different occasions and one occasion of 3 hours. I really try to drink alot of water, very small amount of food, exercise daily, and stay away from foods that are hard to digest or that I react to. Keeping a food diary helps. It is a neuropathy on the organs inside our bodies, cellular and related to diabetes. It is not chrohns, colitis, or IBS, or an infection in the colon.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
How many of you with this constipation problem have incorporated coconut oil in your diet? How about avacado? Or what about probiotics? Or chia seeds? These will all help keep digestion moving. How about an enzyme like artichoke? I fortunately do not have a problem with constipation. Sometimes I have to be careful because I will get the opposite problem if not careful with how much oils I ingest. I have an older sister who has always had difficulty with having regular bm's (she is not diabetic). I know she would only go once every 3-4 days. I believe she has found ways to make it better, but I know how uncomfortable it was for her. Hope you find something that works.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Neuropathy can spread throughout your whole body.

Are you exercising? Did you know that for each hour on the computer you need to exercise for 30 minutes? It is because you are not getting enough circulation.

Are you overweight? That can cause problems too. Exercise and diet will help you more.

What are your test numbers? That is very important for you to get it under control.

Your constipation can be caused by something else. Ask your doctor about it and ask him for help.

Ruth

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi i also have been having stomach issues and been told i might have IBS I ALSO HAVE ACID REFLUX , but i have found that cutting out dairy and coffee have relieved this....but no one has even suggested that i may have neuropathy and i have tried different diets and nothing sems to help...so i am going to ask my dr about being tested for this condition. thank you for the advice :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
My doctor said that the reason I had so much abdomen pain, belching, burping, nausea, and several times throwing up, was because of diabetes. He suggested that the length of time of being a diabetic, which is 20 years, and if I didn't control the blood sugars and A1C, that it causes the nerves in the esophagus, stomach, intestines to not be able to move things along. It is called autonomic neuropathy, gastroparesis, due to diabetes. It is very painful and causes much nausea. I have tried hyosychomine, omeprazole, and fibercon, but the latest drug that the doctor is talking about is Reglan. I have had 14 hours of so much abdomen pain on 4 different occasions and one occasion of 3 hours. I really try to drink alot of water, very small amount of food, exercise daily, and stay away from foods that are hard to digest or that I react to. Keeping a food diary helps. It is a neuropathy on the organs inside our bodies, cellular and related to diabetes. It is not chrohns, colitis, or IBS, or an infection in the colon.
I personally was found to have Autonomic Neuropathy last year by my gastro. My family physician brushed off my problems as nothing for almost 5 years, giving me one excuse after another. Life can be VERY difficult with Autonomic Neuropathy, let alone Diabetes! My Gastro has put me on a medication called "Colestid". The pharmacutical name I believe is called "Colestipol HCL 1G".. It is typically used to treat high Choloesterol, but also used for people such as myself. It does not by any means CURE the problems, but makes them a little easier to deal with. Glad to see I can relate to some other people.. Finally!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Can it be one of your medicines? I was put on a medicine for my AD and I had the same problems. I called up my neurologist and he told me to stop taking it.

I found a diet for it. The main one that works is Almond Milk. I cannot have dairy products and any fruits with acid in it.

I will give you the whole list of foods that you cannot eat and some that you can eat if you want the complete list.

I got the list of foods from a family member who had the same problem. His was caused by the medicines that he is on. The diet works for him. He no longer has a problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You absolutely can have constipation due to neuropathy.....Gastroparesis, which is a sorta common side effect from Diabetes is neuropathy of the stomach and intestines. It causes pain and vomiting and it slows down the digestion process. In my case 75% of my stomach including my upper part of my intestines are paralyzed. I have major problems digesting and I'm on pain management. The doctors have talked to me about a feeding tube, but we are trying to hold off on it til absolutely necessary. Talk to your doctor about Reglan and Neurontin.....They are two of the drugs that work best and I also suggest you take Colace on a daily basis. This is a stool softener, and it's sold over the counter. It definately helps. Good luck!

Brian

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.