The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was recently diagnosed with gestational diabetes, and I've been testing my blood sugar levels for almost a month using the Bayer Breeze 2 glucometer. Today I had one reading that was unusually low and another that was unusually high. I ran a control test, but how do I know if it's accurate?

The control test result was 112. My user manual says to compare this against the "Control Solution Ranges" on the bottom of the box of testing strips. This says: "Low 41-71" "Normal 93-127" and "High 231-301." Am I supposed to assume that my glucometer is providing accurate results as long as the control test result is within the "normal" range?

All of you experts, please advise! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hi, I was recently diagnosed with gestational diabetes, and I've been testing my blood sugar levels for almost a month using the Bayer Breeze 2 glucometer. Today I had one reading that was unusually low and another that was unusually high. I ran a control test, but how do I know if it's accurate?

The control test result was 112. My user manual says to compare this against the "Control Solution Ranges" on the bottom of the box of testing strips. This says: "Low 41-71" "Normal 93-127" and "High 231-301." Am I supposed to assume that my glucometer is providing accurate results as long as the control test result is within the "normal" range?

That would be my supposition, AM, but I've used control solution exactly once, so I'm hardly the expert. :eek:

Welcome to DF! :D

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I rarely use the control solution because I think it is a waste of strips. You are making a correct assumption. As long as your bgs fall in the range printed on the box, you should assume meter is working correctly. There is a huge margin of error allowed in meters which makes them give faulthy readings sometimes. When I get a totally wierd reading, I will rewash my hands and do another reading.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts

That's exactly what it means. I like to discard the first drop out of the vial/tube and use the next. If the result falls in the normal range, then you can expect your results that also fall in that range to be accurate to within +/- 20%. If the results of the control solution fall in the low range, then any BG test result is going to be lower than where it should normally be. Note that this does not mean that your actual BG is lower but that your result is lower than what your meter would normally show. Take this into account and adjust your result a bit to compensate.

i.e. If your control solution shows your meter to be in the low range (41-71), then every BG result will be lower than what the meter would read if it had fallen in the normal range using the control solution.

Some people opt to replace a meter that falls in either the high or low range of control solution results as it can be difficult to get any kind of accuracy from such a meter. (not that they are accurate anyway but that is another story).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts