Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pre-meal BG reading before dinner was 71

My dinner consisted of it's typical fare; which was:
  • 1 - large banana
  • 3-1/2 quart salad consisting of:
    • 6 - cups spinach
    • 1 - broccoli stalk (ie. 1 head the size of a softball consisting of a dozen or more spears)
    • 3oz - baby carrots
    • 2 - avocados
    • 1oz - chopped onion
    • 3 - celery stalks
    • 2 - jalapeno peppers
    • 1 - large cucumber
    • 1 - large red bell pepper
    • 1 - tomato
    • 3 - tbsp flaxseed meal (ie. ground flaxseeds)
    • 1/3 - bottle Walden Farms Balsamic Viniagrette (ie. zero carb, zero calorie salad dressing)

This is a typical meal for both my lunches and dinners.
And according to the Calorie King Software that I use to track my diet.
This dinner consisted of:
  • Calories: 1100
  • Carbs: 131g
  • Fat: 66.3g
  • Fiber: 52g
  • Protein: 26.9g

Two hours after dinner my BG was 54.
3-1/2 hours after dinner I attempted another reading.
BUT
three different readings taken from the same finger prick. All taken within the same minute.
Resulted in: 105, 72, 63

Usually my post meal BG readings after a lunch or dinner like this would be in the 90's.
Or maybe in just a little over 100 if I ate more carbs.
Such as eating 6oz of raspberries or blackberries along with the banana and salad.

So how am I to believe that 54 or that 105 ?

Is this the last gasps of my pancreas giving out and meaning I'll probably be on insulin soon ?
Or
Is just the inaccuracy of Bg meters ?

Thanks;
--ET

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Contaminated finger? I was told that blood taken from 1 prick will change over a short time as the body trys to stop the bleeding. meaning the blood for the first test is different than the blood for the last test.

otherwise I cant explane

But 131 carbs:eek::eek::eek: 11 carbs and my BGL goes up by 30 Pts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
No explanation here either, ET . . . they fall outside the parameters for a 20% meter variance, so there must be something else going on. How old is your meter? Have you checked it lately with control solution?

Could I have a bowl of that salad now? :D :D :D Whatta splendid concoction!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Pre-meal BG reading before dinner was 71

My dinner consisted of it's typical fare; which was:
  • 1 - large banana
  • 3-1/2 quart salad consisting of:
    • 6 - cups spinach
    • 1 - broccoli stalk (ie. 1 head the size of a softball consisting of a dozen or more spears)
    • 3oz - baby carrots
    • 2 - avocados
    • 1oz - chopped onion
    • 3 - celery stalks
    • 2 - jalapeno peppers
    • 1 - large cucumber
    • 1 - large red bell pepper
    • 1 - tomato
    • 3 - tbsp flaxseed meal (ie. ground flaxseeds)
    • 1/3 - bottle Walden Farms Balsamic Viniagrette (ie. zero carb, zero calorie salad dressing)

This is a typical meal for both my lunches and dinners.
And according to the Calorie King Software that I use to track my diet.
This dinner consisted of:
  • Calories: 1100
  • Carbs: 131g
  • Fat: 66.3g
  • Fiber: 52g
  • Protein: 26.9g

Two hours after dinner my BG was 54.
3-1/2 hours after dinner I attempted another reading.
BUT
three different readings taken from the same finger prick. All taken within the same minute.
Resulted in: 105, 72, 63

Usually my post meal BG readings after a lunch or dinner like this would be in the 90's.
Or maybe in just a little over 100 if I ate more carbs.
Such as eating 6oz of raspberries or blackberries along with the banana and salad.

So how am I to believe that 54 or that 105 ?

Is this the last gasps of my pancreas giving out and meaning I'll probably be on insulin soon ?
Or
Is just the inaccuracy of Bg meters ?

Thanks;
--ET
I am not a doctor or nutritionist and you had alot of vegetables that I don't know the carb counts. I would say that your meter readings are off. I can test twice in a minute from the same finger and prick and usually get readings that are close to each other. I have a couple of meters and when I get a couple of readings that seem strange, I go to another meter and see what it reads. You can also add up all your readings and average them out and use that number. I try to just use the first meter reading. Too many variables when you test 2 or 3 times and it just adds confusion to the mix. I happened to read your A1C numbers and they seem fine. I personally do not believe that A1C test home kits are very accurate. My home A1C tests are about 35% lower than a lab test. When I enter my readings into my computer software and run averages, my lab A1C test is really close. The home A1C test are too low for me to believe.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think it's a contaminated finger; because I wash my hands beforehand.
I don't think it's my meter; because my meter is only slightly over 1 year old.
I also run a control solution test with each new batch of strips.

Today after lunch I had the same low BG.
Before lunch my BG was 80. And two hours after eating my BG was 54. And a second reading was 53.
So I'm assuming they're accurate.
The only difference between dinner last night and today's lunch. Was that today's lunch had 3 avocados instead of 2. And I added almonds.
(ie. I had even more carbs than last night.)

Why would my BG be dropping after eating ?

Thanks;
--ET

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You may have had more carbs, but all of those salad components are high fiber too. Even increasing the avocado & almonds . . . both of those foods are considered high fiber. If I were you, I'd introduce enough more carbs to keep from dropping any lower than 60. You're beginning to get into LOW territory now.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont think you mentioned what meds (if any) your on?
My current medication is:
  • Metformin 500 mg daily - 1 tablet with breakfast
  • Lisinopril 5 mg daily - 1 tablet in morning
  • Simvastatin 20 mg daily - 1 tablet at bedtime

Until 1-1/2 month ago; I was also on 100 mg of Januvia.
I got tired of my family doctor's office screw ups. And instead went to see my endo in February.
At which point my endo said the Januvia probably never was doing anything for me.
It only appeared to be working because when I first started Januvia; I was also in the process of losing weight.
So my endo said to stop Januvia.
And due to my diet; if I notice no difference in my BG's after stopping Januvia for a month or so. He said I may also stop Simvastatin.
I am scheduled to have blood test in a couple of weeks.
So if my cholesterol, trigs, HDL, and LDL are still good according to that test. Then I'll also stop Simvastatin.
Last October they were:
(at the time I was also eating a lot more meat and processed foods)
  • Cholesterol = 112
  • Trigs = 35
  • HDL = 46
  • LDL = 59 (calculated not direct)

Thanks;
--ET

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Those lipids are excellent, ET . . . the HDL could be higher, but everything else looks terrific. And studies over the years have produced strong evidence that dietary cholesterol is not a significant factor in plasma cholesterol, so cutting out meat is prob'ly not necessary to maintain these good numbers.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You may have had more carbs, but all of those salad components are high fiber too. Even increasing the avocado & almonds . . . both of those foods are considered high fiber. If I were you, I'd introduce enough more carbs to keep from dropping any lower than 60. You're beginning to get into LOW territory now.

Plus, aren't avocados kinda high in fat that slows down carb metabolism?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well tonight's BG readings made more sense.
  • Pre-meal BG reading was 73.
  • Similar dinner; except 6oz blackberries instead of a banana.
  • Two hours after dinner my BG was 95.

The only difference between yesterday and today. Is that yesterday I did my walking in the afternoon.
And today I did my walking immediately after eating dinner.
But there have been plenty of other days on which I didn't do my walking immediately after eating dinner. And my BG never went down after eating.

Although this batch of strips tested good when I first open them a day or two ago. I can only think that maybe there were/are a couple of bad strips in the batch.

--ET

1 - 12 of 12 Posts