The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I have come to the realization that we have no will power to eat right, does anyone know of a good dietitian or nutrionist in the Tampa, Fl area? :(

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I cannot recommend a nutritionist.

Did you think they were a substitute for willpower?

What is your idea of eating right?

·
Registered
45 Posts
It is hard at times to stick with a healthy eating plan, esp. when you add in diabetes. Here are some ideas that have worked for me. I'm no expert, just giving you my experiences. I'd encourage you to buy one of the carb counter books at your local bookstore and take a look at the foods you are eating and how they measure up.

Personally, I eat low carb and low fat, this works well for me, allowing me to maintain a healthy weight and stay off medications for the time being. I have 3 children, and i'm very concerned about keeping them at a normal weight (so far so good) and hopefully keeping them diabetes free for a lifetime, or if they do get diabetes, I want them to have the best outcome possible. I don't want them to develop a taste for processed foods and fat. We don't keep unhealthy foods in our home, which makes it easier to avoid temptation, especially if you are lacking in will-power.

Go to your local farmer's market and load up on produce. Try various types of lettuce/greens, experiment with making your own salad dressings. Try the various types of squash, zucchini, broccolli, eggplant and other veggies grilled, steam, however you'll best eat them.

I have found if I keep myself moving I can tolerate more foods than if I am sedentary (though with 3 kids, i'm not often sedentary).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts