The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I AM CANADIAN! Are you?

Other times I have tried to connect with other diabetics it ends up being confusing because of the way blood sugar levels are read. normal to me is below 6.7 other people read with numbers in the 200's 400's etc. I don't know what the technical terms are I just know what my meter says and that below 7 is good and 25 is bad. Is this a Canadian vs. US difference?

How do you read?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Yes, it's just the difference in units of measurement. What you're using to determine the concentration of glucose in your blood is a molecule count (mmol/l). The other method determines the same thing, but by weight (ml/dl).

In order to convert ml/dl to mmol/l, we divide by 18. And conversely, we multiply by 18 to convert ml/dl to mmol/l.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I AM CANADIAN! Are you?

Other times I have tried to connect with other diabetics it ends up being confusing because of the way blood sugar levels are read. normal to me is below 6.7 other people read with numbers in the 200's 400's etc. I don't know what the technical terms are I just know what my meter says and that below 7 is good and 25 is bad. Is this a Canadian vs. US difference?

How do you read?
To get the difference between your reading and mine, I would take your reading of 6.7 and multiply it by 18. Your 6.7 would be my 121. To convert mine to yours, just divide by 18 :)

For example, mine was 113 a little while ago....to you that would be 6.3

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Umm...yeah...like Shanny said :) *makes a note to be sure no one else answered it before I hit send*

·
Banned
13 Posts
I AM CANADIAN! Are you?

How do you read?
Another Canuck here

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice to meet you. What province are ya in? I'm in Ontario.

Do you find it difficult to get groups that speak in Canadian terms?

·
Registered
55 Posts
No offense to the many good folks here, but I wish there was a website/forum with a more Canadian perspective. As you know our health cares syetm is slightly different than the U.S, system so it would be useful to hear peple's experiences with diabetes care here.

P.S....to my american diabetes friends...get behind Obama on health care. Public health care system is the way to go. Health care should be a right not a priviledge for thiose who can afford it.

How much does it cost the avg. American for diabetes care these days?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Diabetes is a very expensive disease to have. Thank goodness I have really good insurance, I cant even imagine what its like for those that dont. My dr visits are only a 30 dollar co-pay including all blood work, etc. My testing strips, syringes, etc are covered at no cost. I pay around 90 dollars for three month supply of insulin. 10 dollars covers a 3 month supply of metformin. Pump supplies are covered partially, I pay around 50 dollars for 3 months supply. My pump was mostly covered....I paid 1100 dollars of the 6500 dollar price. But the cost is going to be different for everyone depending on what, if any, coverage they have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.