The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can i get away wit eating 1 can of ravioli per day? Actually, it's not me that is diabetic, but my sister, who lives with me. She is also autistic and quite retarded. She knows she shouldnt eat sugar but sneaks it every chance she gets and goes hugely overboard like a dog when i wasnt around. i ended up putn lock and door on kitchen but her and i love canned ravioli. for some reason i never thot of checking the can thinking it shudnt have very many carbs bc had meat wit it. She been mostly testing at 140 when she has to be good and even with her huge cheating episodes, her aic is 170. Was wondering also if a diabetic eats right, why would they need to test their sugars or take insulin or pills? Is our body producing sugar? I have a very hard time giving her lantus shots every nite and knowing even whether the needle went in and she is very adamant that i shouldn't give her shots in her abdomen

·
Administrator
2,148 Posts
Hi, noranorma! Welcome to our site.

Thanks for trying to take care of your sister; it can be pretty challenging, as you're learning.

Our bodies produce glucose ("sugar") because our bodies need it for fuel. Most of what we eat can be turned into glucose by our bodies. But some people eat way more than they should and have too much glucose in their bodies. People who are diabetic have trouble maintaining a healthy amount of glucose: too much can damage organs and cause typical diabetic symptoms like nerve damage and heart and vision problems. So your sister really should be careful about how much food she eats that will produce too much glucose in her body. Her blood sugar tests are at levels which science shows causes damage to our bodies. Over time, that will not be a good outcome.

Most of the glucose our bodies produce comes from eating carbohydrates, which are found in many foods. It's more than just plain sugar. Anything made with flour (like ravioli) and foods like fruit, soda pop, and starchy vegetables like peas and potatoes all supply a lot of carbohydrates. Diabetics are smart to not eat so much of those foods.

It's hard to know what to do when someone can't motivate themselves enough to take care of themselves. It sounds like you've taken some steps which have worked for your sister. Canned ravioli is not a great food for diabetics to eat. However, certainly for now, it could be a treat for your sister if she can otherwise eat a more healthful diet.

What kind of medical help does your sister have that can help you keep her diabetes under better control? Lantus does not have to be injected in the abdomen; it can be injected into the upper thigh or upper arm as well. If that's easier for your sister to do, maybe you and your sister's medical providers should consider making that change.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Please let us know how else we can help you help your sister. We're not doctors, but we have lots of experience managing our diabetes and are willing to share what we know.

·
Super Moderator
10,020 Posts
Hi noranorma, welcome to the forum.

Ditto on what itissteve said, especially on the caregiving.

In regards to your question about if diabetics eat right, most of us are insulin resistant. Meaning we have to make more insulin that a non-diabetic, needing more than our pancreas can make eventually. If that goes on long enough and our blood sugar stays high enough, long enough, our pancreas may produce less and less. Thus the need for medication. The meds that make the pancreas produce more insulin, are then really useless and insulin may be needed. That is not saying eating right won't help, it can, if our pancreas can still produce enough insulin to take care of the carbs we eat. It may even be good enough to get off meds. It takes a lot of testing to get to that point because just going from not eating right to eating right usually does not instantly make a big change. Eventually you could quit testing as much once you get the diet fine tuned and test much less often, spot checking when eating something new or to make sure sure the diet (or your body) is still working as well as it was.

With the insulin shots, its best to not keep giving in the same spot every time. It can cause scarring and reduce the absorption of the insulin. So the spot needs to move around each time in the fatty areas of the thighs arms, or abdomen, never into muscle. It's recommended to move at least an inch away from the previous injection site.

Is the insulin you are using in a pen or a vial? I know with a pen, you can get some pretty small needles and injecting can be pretty much pain free, even in the abdomen. I'm telling you that as someone who had to be chased and held down to get any shot as a kid. I took insulin for a little while a few years ago and gave myself injections like there was nothing to it. My belly had the most fat, so that's where it went.

Best of luck and keep us posted, we'll help all we can.

Reactions: itissteve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, noranorma! Welcome to our site.

Thanks for trying to take care of your sister; it can be pretty challenging, as you're learning.

Our bodies produce glucose ("sugar") because our bodies need it for fuel. Most of what we eat can be turned into glucose by our bodies. But some people eat way more than they should and have too much glucose in their bodies. People who are diabetic have trouble maintaining a healthy amount of glucose: too much can damage organs and cause typical diabetic symptoms like nerve damage and heart and vision problems. So your sister really should be careful about how much food she eats that will produce too much glucose in her body. Her blood sugar tests are at levels which science shows causes damage to our bodies. Over time, that will not be a good outcome.

Most of the glucose our bodies produce comes from eating carbohydrates, which are found in many foods. It's more than just plain sugar. Anything made with flour (like ravioli) and foods like fruit, soda pop, and starchy vegetables like peas and potatoes all supply a lot of carbohydrates. Diabetics are smart to not eat so much of those foods.

It's hard to know what to do when someone can't motivate themselves enough to take care of themselves. It sounds like you've taken some steps which have worked for your sister. Canned ravioli is not a great food for diabetics to eat. However, certainly for now, it could be a treat for your sister if she can otherwise eat a more healthful diet.

What kind of medical help does your sister have that can help you keep her diabetes under better control? Lantus does not have to be injected in the abdomen; it can be injected into the upper thigh or upper arm as well. If that's easier for your sister to do, maybe you and your sister's medical providers should consider making that change.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Please let us know how else we can help you help your sister. We're not doctors, but we have lots of experience managing our diabetes and are willing to share what we know.
she has to see a physician in order to get her meds but for some reason her dr. only wants to see her every 3 mo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi noranorma, welcome to the forum.

Ditto on what itissteve said, especially on the caregiving.

In regards to your question about if diabetics eat right, most of us are insulin resistant. Meaning we have to make more insulin that a non-diabetic, needing more than our pancreas can make eventually. If that goes on long enough and our blood sugar stays high enough, long enough, our pancreas may produce less and less. Thus the need for medication. The meds that make the pancreas produce more insulin, are then really useless and insulin may be needed. That is not saying eating right won't help, it can, if our pancreas can still produce enough insulin to take care of the carbs we eat. It may even be good enough to get off meds. It takes a lot of testing to get to that point because just going from not eating right to eating right usually does not instantly make a big change. Eventually you could quit testing as much once you get the diet fine tuned and test much less often, spot checking when eating something new or to make sure sure the diet (or your body) is still working as well as it was.

With the insulin shots, its best to not keep giving in the same spot every time. It can cause scarring and reduce the absorption of the insulin. So the spot needs to move around each time in the fatty areas of the thighs arms, or abdomen, never into muscle. It's recommended to move at least an inch away from the previous injection site.

Is the insulin you are using in a pen or a vial? I know with a pen, you can get some pretty small needles and injecting can be pretty much pain free, even in the abdomen. I'm telling you that as someone who had to be chased and held down to get any shot as a kid. I took insulin for a little while a few years ago and gave myself injections like there was nothing to it. My belly had the most fat, so that's where it went.

Best of luck and keep us posted, we'll help all we can.
thank you for the kinds words and info. we are using needles

1 - 7 of 7 Posts