Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Cannot lose weight.

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Russ 
#1 ·
Hi All, I'm new here. A Type 1.5 for a year and a half. i have been low carb( only carbs from vegetables, and cheese, and nuts) I eat high fat and protein. I work out intensely minimum 5 times a week.( spinning, weight training) I should be losing weight-NO PROBLEM but I can't lose anything. I have tried ketostix and have only noted 1 time that I showed Ketosis-burning fat not glucose. I started Levemir in September and have gained about 8-9 pounds since. I am 47 years old. 5"4 inches and weigh 152. My BG numbers have been steadily low so I started lowering my insulin and cut my morning Diamicron MR 4 pills to 2. That is when I started to see numbers rising.Now I have increased my diamicron MR and my insulin. I think I may have Metabolic Resistance. What can kick start my weight loss? what else can I do?

#2 ·
Hello and welcome to Diabetes Forum! I had this same problem in the 1990's when I started using modern day insulins. The insulin caused me to gain 57 pounds over a three year interval. That caused me to become insulin resistant, a characteristic of Type 2 diabetes. I was a Type 1 with insulin resistance. That is called "double diabetes". I was given a Type 2 med (Avandia) and continued using my insulin as usual.

I bought a treadmill and used it every day while gradually increasing the speeds and the incline. My leg muscles became stronger. That spring I started walking outdoors, three miles in one hour on roads with hills. I lost most of my weight I had gained that year. In the meantime I have reduced my carb intake to 130g per day. That requires less insulin. By lowering the insulin dosages you will find it much easier to lose weight. I have a friend who eats only 80g of carbs per day. He had much weight to lose. That has worked very well for him. Good luck with your weight problem. Ask all the questions you want.

Richard

#4 · (Edited)
Just looked him up. Sounds impressive:

"America's Best Known Adult Stem Cell Scientist Christian Drapeau Reports on The Biggest Health Breakthroughs of Our Times – Adult StemCells and Adult Stem ..."

#9 ·
I to have had issues with losing extra weight. I recently over came this however, with out really exercising any more than I had in the past.

I started out about 100 pounds above my ideal weight about 10 years ago. Within a couple of years, I had managed to release about 60 pounds of that and then maintained there until this last summer.

I read some information about not worrying so much about the carbs or fats, rather make sure the acidic value of the food and water (much more water than the typical diet) you put in is much lower than typical food found in the diet. The thought is that fat is retained to absorb acidic byproducts. Lose the acid, lose the weight

Apparently it works - at least for me. I'm down to the south side of 200, which I haven't seen since college (30 years ago) and it been staying off. I'd be happy to share more of this information - PM me.

Russ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.