Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can't eat breakfast!

13K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  JT Reagan 
#1 ·
Ever since I was a young adult, the thought of breakfast turns my stomach. I have not had breakfast for 30 years. I am usually up between 6am and 7am each day and I don't even start to get hungry until 9:30 or 10am. Before that time, the thought of food is very unappealing. Since I was told last week that I have high blood sugar, I have been trying to choke down something in the morning and I literally gag while eating it. This morning I actually threw it all back up halfway through after gagging several times. I just can't do breakfast!! I know I need to and I want to, but it's not working!! I am afraid if I don't, I won't be able to get things in control. Being on the Metformin has made matters worse as it has taken my appetite to almost zero at the best of times.

Feeling really horrid today about things!

#2 ·
Would it help to make a small protein shake so to drink vs eat?

Dawn phenomenon and needing to eat something immediately upon awakening is very common. In my case, I rarely get a morning reading that's higher than my before-bed one and have had no problem waiting a couple of hours before eating. I keep almonds around and might have a few with my morning coffee.

Again, you won't know what your body can tolerate until you're able to start testing. My advice is not to worry about it yet - there will be a solution!

#3 ·
Sandra, I can definitely relate to the idea of not being able to eat breakfast. I've also been like that since childhood. Moon has an excellent suggestion about drinking a small protein shake. I have found that eating a small carton of yogurt will go 'down' fairly easy. Maybe an hour after my yogurt I will eat a slice of toast, sometimes with SF jelly or peanut butter.

#4 ·
I could make a smoothie or a shake, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to get down more than a few mouthfuls. I have even tried just a plain glass of milk to at least get something into my system and that was hard to do.

I will maybe try a smoothie. At least if I can get a few ounces of food into my system until I can eat is better than nothing, I guess.

What about those yogurt drinks? I might be able to get that down.

#6 ·
Milk is a carb and I wouldn't recommend drinking that first thing in the morning (or personally ever). And for any shake, yogurt, whatever - just be sure and count the carbs, they can be tricky.

#8 ·
As a substitute for milk, use whipping cream diluted with water. I have been losing weight while eating a high-fat diet, something that would have been unimaginable to me on my low-fat, high carb diet.

The other night I was craving a cold icy decadent drink and threw a cup of coffee, couple of T of Ghiradellia cocoa powder, erythritol, whipping cream and ice into a blender. Oh la la - didn't take a lot of cream but was delicious.

I'm gearing towards experimenting w/ morning shakes myself, others will weigh in on what works for them, but have heard good things about some of the Atkins ones and will be trying them to have something easy in the house. Some reviews here:

Amazon.com: Atkins Ready To Drink Shake, Mocha Latte, 11-Ounce Aseptic Containers (Pack of 8): Health & Personal Care

#9 ·
I am headed to the city for my dr. appt this afternoon, so I will pick up some Atkins shakes and maybe give them a try. They are low carb and seem to be what I should be doing. I'm guessing they would work for a snack at times, also, when on the run or just not sure what to have.

I don't have access to stuff like that in the town I live in and it's a 45 minute drive one way to a decent grocery store, so it makes this whole thing that much harder because I can't buy fresh produce here in town and only getting to the city once a week makes buying produce a challenge. It usually goes bad before I get to it all.

I'm off to try making some kind of smoothie. I do have cream in the house, so maybe I'll mix it with water and see what happens.

Thanks for the input, I really, really appreciate it. I'm having one of those days where I feel like just giving up and forgetting the whole thing. I think part of it is I'm really stressed about my dr. appt. this afternoon, as well.

Thanks again.

#16 ·
getting to the city once a week makes buying produce a challenge. It usually goes bad before I get to it all.
I'm going to give you the best tip you'll ever hear from me. Honest.

There is a miracle Tupperware thing called FridgeSmart. I learned about it years ago on some home decorating/organizing show. They are containers that come in myriad sizes, designed for refrigerating produce. They have vents on the outside one adjusts based on a chart of how much humidity the particular veggie/fruit prefers, like a crisper. It's a brilliant, miracle container.

I bought one and found it kept my produce fresh twice as long, and took twice as long to spoil. Then I started buying all different sizes on ebay. They aren't cheap, but very manageable there and pay for themselves in the food you don't toss. I used to eat a lot of berries, and thankfully can still eat them. I buy flats from a grower and my berries stay fresh in those containers for a week! Before, the raspberries/blackberries would be gone in a couple/few days. I mix a batch of fresh salad (do all my cutting for the week!) and put into one of the huge ones, and then just apply dressing per serving. They're brilliant. Really. Way better than a crisper, which I use only for cabbages, avocados, things like that or things I'll be eating right away. If it's going to be in the frig more than 2 days it goes into a FridgeSmart.

My aunt was so impressed she took several of mine back to Switzerland, and this woman wants, needs, and accepts nothing.

Reactions: pjsunnyday
#10 ·
OMG! i feel exactly the same. i rarely, very rarely eat breakfast.. well it doesnt start for me until 10am or so. lol. but i think u should try drinking the original V8 veggie juice (not the spicy one). it has all the vitamins and stuff in it that will give u good boost for the day and in my opinion thats sometimes better than breakfast cuz what u eat includes stuff that may not be as good for u with high glucose... but u can never go wrong with v8. what do u think?:)

#13 ·
Thank you so much. I do think the anxiety is really making me feel crappy. My stomach is in knots and I think that's the reason for absolutely no appetite today. I did manage to drink a small smoothie and eat a cheese stick about 15 mins. ago, so hopefully that will help.

I'll definitely keep you posted. Thank you for your support.

#14 ·
Believe me Sandra, I do understand the anxiety about going to the Doctor. It is only recently that I've been able to make an appointment and keep it without being sick to my stomach.

You will be ok. Take a deep breath before you walk into the Dr. office and tell yourself "this too shall pass".

#17 ·
Thank you so much for the support regarding my appt. today. I am really feeling anxious about the whole thing.

And thank you also for the tupperware tip. I have a friend that sells tuppeware and I will be calling her tonight!

I'm headed out in about 10 mins. to my appt. It's a 45 minute drive down the highway, so I want to make sure I'm not late. I'll keep you posted when I get back.

Thanks again, you guys are the best!!!!!!!

#18 ·
I was never a breakfast eater either. Now that I know about liver dumps and high blood sugar, I know why. When you don't eat your body won't let you starve and signals liver to convert stored glycogen into glucose raising bgs. Sometimes your liver dumps more glucose than if you ate something. I cannot eat a lot when I first wake up but try to eat some cheese sticks or handful of nuts. I keep Atkins Bars on hand to eat if I am in a hurry. I also make cookies with Coconut Oil, Almond Flour, Flaxseed and other low carb items. I like to grab a couple of cookies with my coffee.

#19 ·
What cookie recipes do you have? Are they in the recipes threads?

#21 ·
jwags - How do you get so good at figuring out how to tweak recipes like this? I've tried 'adjusting' regular recipes and it never seems to turn out.

Also, any idea of carb content of these cookies, since I use insulin to keep my bg in control.

#22 ·
"Breakfast" is overrated.

I eat three times between waking up and going to sleep because i must remember to eat.

The key is to have the same routine day in and day out

#23 ·
Thanks, jwags! They sound yummy!

#25 ·
Thank you for the idea. FridgeSmart by Tupperware. Who knew? You did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.