The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am fairly new to this, but for some weird reason, when I prick my fingers, only a teeny tiny drop of blood comes out, not even enough for the freestyle freedom meter to read (requires the least amount of blood out of any meter on the market). sometimes I prick it and nothing at all comes out. I have the lancet on the deepest puncture setting, my mom is a nurse so she taught me how to push down hard and leave it there for 5 sec, but still nothing. I have even tried putting the same lancet in another device (the one that comes with the Bayer contour and) and have tried 1 other kind of lancet (the disposable kind). The thing is, when I test on my thumbs, the blood comes out fine, but my thumbs are getting really sore, I only have two!

The blood used to come out of my fingers fine, the only thing I have done differently is I used to use the lancets that come with the freestyle, but I ran out so I am using the ones that come with the contour, but they are virtually the same thing, or at least they appear to be.

Any advice/suggestions??

thanks.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The lancets you are using might not be a good fit with the lancet device. Maybe just a tad too short? I don't know. I know with the Freestyle Lite and some of the other meters you can use alternative testing sites like the outer palms of your hand, your forearm or your calf. See if you can find the manual for the meters you have or google it to see if you can use other sites other than your thumbs. Also, could be just callouses on your fingers from so much use. Maybe just giving them a break will help.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Some people massage ther fingers and run very warm water over them, dry them off and then test. I have not had to do that but I hear that it has helped other people.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.