The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started Levemir about 6 weeks ago along with Wieght Watchers. Numbers were starting to look good...started with 18 units and went up to 24 units. Then my grandbaby came 4 weeks early and I starting eating...everything in sight. Now I'm back on program and need 34 units and my numbers are out of control. Can't get them below 240, day or night. And last night started having severe leg cramps that lasted about 10 minutes, but came off and on all night long. Today my legs still hurt.
I haven't gone no carb yet and believe it might be time. I have the book The 30 Day Diabetes Cure... Any suggestions.
I am a food ahololic and just can't control myself.
Crystal

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Ya There is no cure for diabetes... you can control it.

carbs raise BG (all carbs raise BG), insulin lowers BG one effects the other. if you change one your BG will react accordingly.
Levemir is a long acting insulin (basal) to counter act carbs you eat you need a fast acting insulin (bolus) also. You will NOT be able to control BG on levemir alone. If you take enough Levemir so your fasting is good you will run high after eating. if you take enough levemir so your after food BG number is good you will run low between foods.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Wife did the same thing when our grandkids were born, its seems to be a natural occurence, daughter gives birth, wheres the food.

I think of carbs as high octane fuel when my body runs on regular. Let off the gas and my BG's go down. Its easier to slow the car down before you apply the brakes.

Have a carb party in your house and throw them all away. I do not count carbs, I avoid all of the obvious ones, grains, rice and potatoes, everything else is fair game.

Reactions: Dura

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
If you're truly a food addict - and it does happen - then you really need to figure out WHY and start dealing with that.

The best thing you can do as a Type II is cut the carbs, absolutely. You've likely got some insulin-resistance that's seriously affecting your ability to control sugars.

A LCHF (Low-Carb/High-Fat) diet is likely the best way for a T2 to get things under control... however many people think you can "eat all you want and not gain weight" with this diet... which isn't necessarily true.

While eating LCHF you will be more satiated, meaning that your actual PHYSICAL appetite needs will be met... When people say they "ate all they want and lose weight" they mean they ate until satisfied (physically) and were less-hungry (physically) so they eat less-often and usually take in fewer calories overall than they would on a high-carb diet, and fewer calories, combined with lower insulin levels usually = weight loss.

Although LCHF will help your blood sugars, if you have any emotional and/or psychological need for food, eating LCHF can be a weight-related disaster as you can easily take in WAAY too many calories, and gain weight instead of lose weight. So it needs to be balanced with willpower and self-control.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I should add I'm quite skeptical of any doctor that writes a book espousing a "cure" for diabetes.

There is no cure. Period. You can CONTROL it, even reverse some symptoms, and especially as a Type II the answer is mostly diet and regular exercise. However there is no cure.

I just spent some time at his website, and it has "cure" written everywhere... it's misleading (and done in an attempt to make more money, in my opinion, by giving false hope for something that isn't there). I don't want to say he's "scamming" people, because he does have good information in the book ... but at the same time, he does recommend eating whole grains - which doesn't work for some of us...

There is no cure, only control. Your best controls as a type II are reducing your carbs as much as possible (and some people find NO carbs is their best solution) and regular physical activity/exercise. There's many people on this board that fully control their diabetes with diet, exercise and NO MEDS - so control is definitely possible.

If you want to read a good 'solution' book on diabetes, read Dr. Bernsteins 'Diabetes Solution', which is by far the best I've read on diabetes management. He gets QUITE controlled, moreso than some folks need, but I've found nothing objectionable in his book.

Reactions: muck and diabetes86

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Crystal, you won't regret going low-carb, but you may regret believing in Dr. Ripich. You won't be cured in 30 days, or 300 days, or 3,000 days. There is no cure for diabetes at this time.

You can hang around here & try out the things that have worked for many of us. Low-carbing works very well, and low-carb/high-fat works even better.

I'm delighted that you have a new grandbaby - there's nothing nicer than being a granny! :D We'll just have to help you get off the feed bag! ;)

Take care & hurry back!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
As the others have said there is no cure. I fell for all those books when I was first dx'd. When I read them all, they each recomended something totally different. I finally figured out they all started with the premise that all diabetics are overweight which is not the case. The best book I found and I still refer back to it at least once per week is Dr Bernsteins, "Diabetes Solutions" Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. A Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars. Official Web Site That is the only book you need. I consider myself a carb addict and they were always my food of choice. I chose healthy carbs like whole grain bread, pasta and brow rice and fruit. But as I diabetic those foods will spike me like crazy. I follow a low carb diet but I include lots of high fat foods. One thing I learned is although I have to give up carbs I can still make all my favorite foods with a few substitutions. In the morning I make low carb english muffins in my microwave that keep my bgs around 100 or below. I also agree you need to clear out your pantry and give the food away or thow it away. If you have others living in the house, ask them not to bring certain foods into the house. I finally convinced my husband that chips were not an essential food group.

Reactions: muck

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Everybody!
I have some reading to do and a pantry to clean out and labels to read!

Reactions: Patdart and MCS

·
Banned
158 Posts
I would just like to say that "fully controlling diabetes with diet, exercise and NO MEDS" is sometime just NOT possible. And, if you are one of those people, it is NOT a failure on your part. This is a GENETIC disease with many different genes and combinations of genes being affected. So our physical genetic coding is playing a huge part in this.

For the first 10 years after I was diagnosed, my Diabetes remained well controlled with no medication, but suddenly (and with no change in my diet or exercise), my BG's starting rising. During the next 3 years, my Ha1c went from 5.4 to 12.7.

My GP (Family Doc) kept badgering me and accusing me of being "naughty." He said I SHOULD be able to control my Diabetes with diet alone and refused to give me any kind of medications - no oral meds, no insulin - nothing. He said that if he prescribed these things, then he would be sending me the message that he didn't believe I could control my Diabetes by myself - by my diet alone.

For 3 years I lived in shame - hating myself for not being able to control my Diabetes with diet alone. I dreaded appointments b/c each time I felt like such a failure and disappointment to my Doc. I tried every diet known to womankind. Nothing brought down my sugars.

Fortunately, one evening in my time of despair, I googled upon this forum and asked the simple question: (paraphrase) "How much higher than Ha1c of 12.1 does it have to rise before Docs prescribe meds?" That's when I learned that Docs usually prescribe meds when Ha1c is anything above a "6."

I couldn't believe I had suffered for 3 YEARS with the agony of these chronically elevated BGs. And, yes, I had all the horrific symptoms that go along with that. :(

Sorry to run so long here, and perhaps I am over-sensitive on this issue, but I just want to tell you that it's NOT a "badge of honor" if you can control your Diabetes without meds. Sometimes, no matter what we eat, no matter what we weigh, no matter how much we exercise, our bodies need the help of medication to treat the symptoms of this genetic disease.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
perhaps I am over-sensitive on this issue,
Nope. Not over-sensitive. If I can remember your story so vividly, and want to put your doc in stocks in the town square, then surely you're entitled to not-so-fond memories of that period. Oh, I'd be fighting some bitterness, yes I would.

Your doc is the posterboy of the worst possible way a doc can not care for a diabetic patient. I'm glad not to have his address, cuz I do value my freedom.

·
Registered
709 Posts
MSTCB I feel so sad for you having a doc that made you feel this shame as if you dont feel bad enough without someone jumping on you it must have been a terrible experience, hope all is good now :)

Reactions: MsTCB

·
Registered
709 Posts
Moon you took the words right out of my mouth, well said :)

·
Banned
158 Posts
MSTCB I feel so sad for you having a doc that made you feel this shame as if you dont feel bad enough without someone jumping on you it must have been a terrible experience, hope all is good now :)
Oh, no, Moon - don't want you to end up in stocks. :)
It was a dark and confusing time and I am so grateful for your advice and all the wonderful advice and support I received here on this forum.
You all gave me the strength to go out and find an Endo. I canceled the first time (cold feet) and in between all that I was diagnosed with a rare condition - I have three aneurysms in my Splenic Artery. If one of them should rupture - well - my doctor said don't worry about trying to get to the hospital b/c I would bleed out too fast. Lovely thought. Although they are so rare that there is not much in medical literature on them, apparently (consulted with 2 Surgeons) until they are over 2 cm in size, the risk of the surgery and living without a spleen is worse than the risk of a rupture. So, that's a "wait and monitor" thing hovering in my background.

Thank you. Things are getting better. I found an Endo, but Shanny suggested that I bring a 2x4 to my next appointment. :)

My daily BGs were in the mid-300's to mid-400's, but now, with the meds, they are running between 100-150. MAJOR improvement.

This Endo told me to "just eat less" to bring my numbers down lower. He said this without knowing what I am currently eating. I asked about carbs and he said, "I'm not going to tell you to cut back on carbs b/c it doesn't do any good. I tell patients that and then they just start eating more protein, so the total calories stay the same. To get this under control, you must be at your ideal BMI and to do that, you must eat fewer calories. It's as simple as that." RRrrright.

I am a work in progress, but all I know is that right now I can't cut out my carbs. I am tracking everything, but I'm not changing my diet - at least not yet. I eat around 1,300 - 1,800 calories per day.

I'm glad you're here.

Reactions: moon and d33na

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have the book The 30 Day Diabetes Cure... Any suggestions.
I am a food ahololic and just can't control myself.
Crystal
Hello Crystal :D.
This diesease will be with you for the rest of your natural life!!! Dispite what the book says!!

Crystal, you won't regret going low-carb, but you may regret believing in Dr. Ripich. You won't be cured in 30 days, or 300 days, or 3,000 days. There is no cure for diabetes at this time.
That's right Sharron, Low carb is the way!! ;)

I cannot say this strongly enough.

There is no
Cure!!!​

Reactions: Shanny

·
Banned
158 Posts
And last night started having severe leg cramps that lasted about 10 minutes, but came off and on all night long. Today my legs still hurt.
Crystal
I think you should call your doctor's office and ask what to do about the leg cramps. I googled that and it can be side effect of the Levemir. You mentioned that your dose increased, so this might have triggered this leg cramp side effect.

I also saw that low potassium levels can bring on leg cramps. You might try adding 1/2 of a banana to your daily menu.

As for what to do for the food addiction. That's a tough one. On the days when I feel extra hungry, I "binge" on sugar-free Jello Gelatin. I might eat 3 or 4 of those ready-made cups that you find in the Dairy case. They fill you up and taste great. :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I also saw that low potassium levels can bring on leg cramps. You might try adding 1/2 of a banana to your daily menu.

As for what to do for the food addiction. That's a tough one. On the days when I feel extra hungry, I "binge" on sugar-free Jello Gelatin. I might eat 3 or 4 of those ready-made cups that you find in the Dairy case. They fill you up and taste great. :)
Ten-four on the jello gelatins. We keep several packs in the fridge at all times . . . they're especially good topped with homemade whipped cream - only takes a second to whip some yourself & sweeten it with artificial sweetener.

Check with your doc about your potassium levels. If you're low, a supplement would be better than the banana . . . bananas are notorious for zapping our BG into outer space.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I would just like to say that "fully controlling diabetes with diet, exercise and NO MEDS" is sometime just NOT possible. And, if you are one of those people, it is NOT a failure on your part. This is a GENETIC disease with many different genes and combinations of genes being affected. So our physical genetic coding is playing a huge part in this.
So true, and a great point. Thank you.

For the first 10 years after I was diagnosed, my Diabetes remained well controlled with no medication, but suddenly (and with no change in my diet or exercise), my BG's starting rising. During the next 3 years, my Ha1c went from 5.4 to 12.7.

My GP (Family Doc) kept badgering me and accusing me of being "naughty." He said I SHOULD be able to control my Diabetes with diet alone and refused to give me any kind of medications - no oral meds, no insulin - nothing. He said that if he prescribed these things, then he would be sending me the message that he didn't believe I could control my Diabetes by myself - by my diet alone.

For 3 years I lived in shame - hating myself for not being able to control my Diabetes with diet alone. I dreaded appointments b/c each time I felt like such a failure and disappointment to my Doc. I tried every diet known to womankind. Nothing brought down my sugars.

Fortunately, one evening in my time of despair, I googled upon this forum and asked the simple question: (paraphrase) "How much higher than Ha1c of 12.1 does it have to rise before Docs prescribe meds?" That's when I learned that Docs usually prescribe meds when Ha1c is anything above a "6."

I couldn't believe I had suffered for 3 YEARS with the agony of these chronically elevated BGs. And, yes, I had all the horrific symptoms that go along with that. :(
Wow. Just wow. I *wish* all doctors were more educated about diabetes, and about how different all people are. NOBODY should have to go through 3 months of high sugars (once detected) let alone 3 years...

Interestingly enough, some of us end up with higher BG readings without eating any carbs... this defies logic and seems impossible, but for whatever reason our bodies decide to do the gluconeogenesis thing and create blood glucose... even when there's no real need. For some it's happening all day long, for others it's a Dawn Phenomenon that happens (seems to be my issue, is DP) and it's so freakin' annoying.

Sorry to run so long here, and perhaps I am over-sensitive on this issue, but I just want to tell you that it's NOT a "badge of honor" if you can control your Diabetes without meds. Sometimes, no matter what we eat, no matter what we weigh, no matter how much we exercise, our bodies need the help of medication to treat the symptoms of this genetic disease.
First, if you think you ran long, you've got to see some of my posts. :D Yours is short by comparison, :)

And secondly, I do believe anyone that CAN control their diabetes by making changes in their diet or exercise routines should be proud of that accomplishment - for me it's what gives me motivation to keep going (even though I still need to take metformin)... HOWEVER ... Nobody should ever think that being unable to control it in that way constitutes "failure" - because that's just not true.

Anyone that truly makes an effort is a success in my book! And for those having difficulty controlling their sugars it's important to remember that even if exercising daily and reducing your carb intake doesn't control your sugars, it most-certainly helps your overall health/fitness and reduces risk of so many other issues.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts